G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Vibrant Prototype exhaust system (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks better than stock, but I was expecting a catback system. All those welding points scare me a bit for potential leaks.

I believe you'd have more success with a catback that can compete with Stillen. Reason is you have lots of competition in the market for the same set up. For example I have the Intense Y-pipe, OEM ('05) middy which eliminates the drone caused by the coupe midpipe in some cars, and the HKS rear section, which is an amazing sounding, looking and quality product.

Props for delivering the promise of a new system, but you ought to look into a catback.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
It looks better than stock, but I was expecting a catback system. All those welding points scare me a bit for potential leaks.

I believe you'd have more success with a catback that can compete with Stillen. Reason is you have lots of competition in the market for the same set up. For example I have the Intense Y-pipe, OEM ('05) middy which eliminates the drone caused by the coupe midpipe in some cars, and the HKS rear section, which is an amazing sounding, looking and quality product.

Props for delivering the promise of a new system, but you ought to look into a catback.
Chico,

It is a catback system dude. The reason why you see the weld points is that it's a prototype. Anytime a company bulids it's first prototype exhaust system you will see all the welds. After we straighten the muffler, do the dyno testings and make sure that there are no leaks, then the system goes into production. Once the production exhaust system is made, then you won't see the welds whatsoever.

The system will be coming in 3 pieces
- Y-Pipe
- Midsection with resonator
- Rear section with Muffler

So that makes its a cat-back system

Donovan Griffith
Marketing/PR Coordinator
Vibrant Performance
310 Courtneypark Drive East
Mississauga, ON L5T 2S5
T:905-564-2808, x277 F:905-564-8653
dongriffith@vibrantpower.com

Old 04-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Nismo managed to pull off power and torque gains on the dyno with their 3" 350Z system. So hearing that this system is also 3" isn't so bad, but I'd still want to see a dyno.
Yeah i'm anxious to see if it's makes good power too. The car feels much better throughout the torque band, but only the Dyno will give us the results that we are looking for.

Donavan Griffith
Vibrant Performance

Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reading material from wikipedia university

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catback_exhaust

Last edited by Neal376; 04-13-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by IQ9
Oh whats the cost? Will there be a rear section only or is it a complete system?
After we go to the dyno and get some numbers, then we will adjust the muffler so that it's straight. The exhaust system will be a 3 piece cat-back system. Y-Pipe, Midsection with Resonator and rear section with Muffler....

I don't want to release a price yet, but it will be priced better than the Stillen and the Borla system!

Donavan Griffith
Vibrant Performance

Old 04-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by jdm4eva
Chico,

It is a catback system dude. The reason why you see the weld points is that it's a prototype. Anytime a company bulids it's first prototype exhaust system you will see all the welds. After we straighten the muffler, do the dyno testings and make sure that there are no leaks, then the system goes into production. Once the production exhaust system is made, then you won't see the welds whatsoever.

The system will be coming in 3 pieces
- Y-Pipe
- Midsection with resonator
- Rear section with Muffler

So that makes its a cat-back system

Donovan Griffith
Marketing/PR Coordinator
Vibrant Performance
310 Courtneypark Drive East
Mississauga, ON L5T 2S5
T:905-564-2808, x277 F:905-564-8653
dongriffith@vibrantpower.com
Maybe I wasn't clear. The Stillen is what we know as a "catback" as it is in the pic on the left. The one on the right is what some of us have instead of the Stillen. That's what I was hoping you'd make instead of the tradiional Y-pipe, midpipe and rear section.

In terms of HP at the dyno you shouldn't get your hopes up too high. Most systems on these cars will yield 5 to 10 hp. Stillen claims 22 hp but if you read through this board, you'll see the dyno has only shown 7 to 9 hp at the wheels.

In any case I wish you much success and would love to hear it in person.

Attached Thumbnails Vibrant Prototype exhaust system (pics)-dscf0004.jpg   Vibrant Prototype exhaust system (pics)-car-exhaust-003.jpg  

Last edited by Chico; 04-13-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Chico
Maybe I'm wasn't clear. The Stillen is what we know as a "catback" as it is in the pic on the left. The one on the right is what some of us have instead of the Stillen. That's what I was hoping you'd make instead of the tradiional Y-pipe, midpipe and rear section.

In terms of HP at the dyno you shouldn't get your hopes up too high. Most systems on these cars will yield 5 to 10 hp. Stillen claims 22 hp but if you read through this board, you'll see the dyno has only shown 7 to 9 hp at the wheels.

In any case I wish you much success and would love to hear it in person.
No worries dude, I now understand what you mean!

In terms of HP, i'm definitely not getting my hopes up, cause I know what gains you get with exhaust systems. Most people don't realize that to get really good HP gains, you have to free up the intake side, exhaust side and also get rid of things like resonators and cats....The problem with this is that the car becomes less streetable. Unless your going to turbocharge or supercharge the VQ, the HP gains on a exhaust system will be minimal....

If you want to hear it dude, give me a call and let's hook up on the weekend so I can show you the system and I can also see you HKS axle-back system.

Donavan Griffith
Vibrant Performance

Old 04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
IQ9
Will we be able to buy the system in pieces(Y pipe or rear section) or is it a 3 piece kit? Thanks again man!!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
chico,
what you said about the stillen being what we know as a "catback" doesnt make sense. The pictures dont justify it. The only reason they look different is because the stillen is a dual catback. If Donavan was making a true dual catback i would assume that it would look something like the stillen and borla (with an X-pipe and dual resonators and piping) but since he is not making a true dual catback it isnt going to look anything like the stillen or borla, it's gonna look similar to stock minus the weight and restrictivness of the stock y-pipe, resonator, and muffler therefore it really is a "Cat-Back exhaust system"
-GP-

Old 04-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Will it fit the AWD?

Old 04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Kudos for using flex sections in the y-pipe. IMO, this is mandatory to reduce NVH and keep the stress off the manifold bolts. Why Stillen and Borla don't use flex sections is beyond me.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
chico,
what you said about the stillen being what we know as a "catback" doesnt make sense. The pictures dont justify it. The only reason they look different is because the stillen is a dual catback. If Donavan was making a true dual catback i would assume that it would look something like the stillen and borla (with an X-pipe and dual resonators and piping) but since he is not making a true dual catback it isnt going to look anything like the stillen or borla, it's gonna look similar to stock minus the weight and restrictivness of the stock y-pipe, resonator, and muffler therefore it really is a "Cat-Back exhaust system"
-GP-
I know what Chico means...
His definition is from each cat back... in other words true dual.

The generally accepted definition of cat back is..
that point from which the aftermarket exhaust replaces the OEM;
from the cats.... to... the back

The design from A to B can be anything.....

Old 04-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Its not a true dual system like the HKS hi-power for the coupe!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
I know what Chico means...
His definition is from each cat back... in other words true dual.

The generally accepted definition of cat back is..
that point from which the aftermarket exhaust replaces the OEM;
from the cats.... to... the back

The design from A to B can be anything.....
Exactly!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:50 PM
IQ9
Did JDM say the system was a dual? I thought he stated his company was making a system for the sedans and that was it...no details until the the system was finished.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vibrant Prototype exhaust system (pics)