G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

AWD Switch for G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 03:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep us posted. you might be on to something.

it would be sweet to see infiniti come out with an awd/rwd 6mt model in the future. thats if no serious problems arise of course in your situation.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Look at Bill Martin's 04 Dyno Run

Like he said, it looks more like it was full time AWD

BillMartin, was the slip light flashing during the dyno run?

Old 04-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
What is the longest time/distance you've driven in this manner?

I'm curious if the car will go into 'limp mode' after a certain mileage.
+1

If it's safe I may just yank out the fuse for the summer.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:23 PM
nope. no limp mode here. The car has been running very nicely. I turn AWD back on when its raining. I only flip the switch when the car is off tho. I dont think you can flip it on and off when the vehicle is still on.

I must have taken the car to 90 or 100 once or twice in rwd mode, no problem. Driven in the snow as well with it off (just testing it) no problem.
merging and hard acceleration, no problem.

whipping out the rear end no problem.

seems safe to me! and when AWD is turned back on, that light turns off, and it runs just fine!

Last edited by Neal376; 04-16-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Hmmm....this sounds very much like the set up in my wife's Subaru Legacy GT auto. When the car has to be towed with only two wheels on the ground or if the temporary spare is installed, you have to pop the hood and place a standard fuse into special fuse box which turns off the AWD and converts the car to FWD. The inserted fuse disengages the transfer case. Subaru is very specific about not driving like this for anymore than 50-60 miles. According to the techs I've talked with online at the Legacy site, the issue is when the transfer case is disengaged, the various tranfers pumps aren't pumping enough fluid through the housing to adequately lubricate the clutches. They say even though the clutches are disengaged, they still need fluid pumped to keep them in good operating condition.

Just something to consider before driving around with this mod long term. I'd definitely get a full understanding of the way the entire AWD system works. I know that a transfer clutch rebuild on my Legacy is about $800. I'd imagine the G transfer case is a bit more expensive.

Last edited by DaveB; 04-16-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:48 PM
^ i love when people actually know what the **** they are saying

Old 04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
To be the dynamic AWD that Nissans and Acuras systems are (and i think Porsche, lamborhini), the use of a electromagnetic clutch is employed. The clutch is engaged when electricity is applied. conventional systems, like you stated, operate with the fluids, hydrolics and what not. Nissans and Acuras systems have the ability to turn themselves on and off in a split second. When the clutch is not engaged, there is a physical gap between it and the differential. Nissans system turns itself off after 15 mph. So you safely say that 95% of the driving in a G35x is done in RWD mode anyways. In fact, in the manual, it says that the snow switch, which locks the torque 50/50 up to 30 mph, should be used sparingly. In suburus instance, the vehicle is made to be operated in AWD all the time, while the G35 is made to be RWD most of the time (and AWD least of the time) In fact, you will probably reduce wear on the car if you leave it off more often. But like any vehicle component, its definetly good to hve it running every once in awhile. I dont think anyone will be turning there AWD off perminently anyways.

there are no pumps or fluids to be hasseled with. Like you said, the suburu AWD can not be as dynamic as the G's AWD due to the limitations of the systems clutch. The g's clutch does not have that limitation

the only reason why you see a correlation is because AWD in any vehicle can be manipulated with a fuse. In this case the G35 is a totally different system. I see no reason why it wouldn't be safe

Last edited by Neal376; 04-16-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Hmmm....this sounds very much like the set up in my wife's Subaru Legacy GT auto.............According to the techs I've talked with online at the Legacy site, the issue is when the transfer case is disengaged, the various tranfers pumps aren't pumping enough fluid through the housing to adequately lubricate the clutches. They say even though the clutches are disengaged, they still need fluid pumped to keep them in good operating condition.
It's a different system. The Subaru AWD (auto) is a hydraulic unit rather than EM.

"Legacy 2.5 GT models equipped with the optional 5-speed automatic transmission use a system called Variable Torque Distribution (VTD). A planetary center differential works with an electronically controlled continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch to manage power distribution"

While I wouldn't necessarily run it this way 6 months out of the year, I think dyno tuning or limited use would do no harm. FI is on the way.

I can't believe we've gone from "this is not a Maxima" to "this is not a Subaru"

Old 04-16-2006, 06:19 PM
yes, like anything mechanical , it should operated every once in awhile

Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM

FI is on the way.

uh oh! all of a sudden more underrepresented X's will go fi!!!

now all we have to do is fill that 180 pound weight gap

yes, this is not a subaru indeed

Last edited by Neal376; 04-16-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
It's a different system. The Subaru AWD (auto) is a hydraulic unit rather than EM.

"Legacy 2.5 GT models equipped with the optional 5-speed automatic transmission use a system called Variable Torque Distribution (VTD). A planetary center differential works with an electronically controlled continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch to manage power distribution"

While I wouldn't necessarily run it this way 6 months out of the year, I think dyno tuning or limited use would do no harm. FI is on the way.

I can't believe we've gone from "this is not a Maxima" to "this is not a Subaru"
True the Subie system is different. I have an Outback to the AWD is symetrical vs. the X. Don't repeat my mistake and upgrade your tranny with the FI. Right now I'm waiting for and SGP VB and level 10 TC with a relatively new tranny.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Wait...dont You Mean, Dont Forget To Upgrade The Trany?

Old 04-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Oops, yes.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:06 PM
you think this should be stickied? I mean, it is a pretty important modification for the x

Old 04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xman
Don't repeat my mistake and upgrade your tranny with the FI. Right now I'm waiting for and SGP VB and level 10 TC with a relatively new tranny.
Thanks for the tip.

Please keep us posted on the level 10 mod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD Switch for G35x