G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Questions about G35 Rattles (if any) and Build Quality.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about G35 Rattles (if any) and Build Quality.

I own a 2006 TL and am plagued by rattles, which I HATE. I love the car otherwise and specifically chose the TL over the G35 after carefully considering both. I chose the TL because it has better standard features, better exterior styling (my opinion only), MUCH better interior styling (maybe my opinion only, but I don't think the two are even in the same class), great Navi, great sound, and was a better overall value. The G35 performance was impressive and hands down beat the TL, but that wasn't enough for me.

So, now that I have rattles (did I mention I HATE rattles?), I'm reconsidering. Does the G35 tend to get rattles or, as is the case with my TL, come straight from the factory with them? Also, how is overall build quality? If I decide to ditch my TL, I will likely get the 2007 G35 (looks like they gussied up the interior a bit and exterior styling is more elegant), but I'd like to get some feedback from current owners before I waste any more time thinking about how much money I'll lose on my TL.

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i have an 04 g35 coupe and have no rattles
and 35000 miles on it

Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I know that there have been many G owners with complaints of rattles, but I have 74k kms on my 03 with zero rattles. It has been a fantastic car, which is why I have ordered an 07.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
61k miles on my g35 and no rattles. I have been very hard on the car for 3 years and no issues. I live in Minnesota and there are a ton of bumps and potholes and the car is a champ. The only thing I can complain about the car is that it goes through tires everyone 15-20k miles but I think thats me more than the car. heh.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I've had rattles in my '05 G35x with 22,000 miles and most have been fixed through TSBs. The radio buttons still stick though despite the TSB to fix it. There are also dash rattles that won't go away but I always listen to music so I can't hear them most of the time. Not rattle related but I do need new brakes, rotor resurfacing and tires at 22K miles. The brake issue has been fixed in '06+ models.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by infinitinewb
I own a 2006 TL and am plagued by rattles, which I HATE. I love the car otherwise and specifically chose the TL over the G35 after carefully considering both. I chose the TL because it has better standard features, better exterior styling (my opinion only), MUCH better interior styling (maybe my opinion only, but I don't think the two are even in the same class), great Navi, great sound, and was a better overall value. The G35 performance was impressive and hands down beat the TL, but that wasn't enough for me.

So, now that I have rattles (did I mention I HATE rattles?), I'm reconsidering. Does the G35 tend to get rattles or, as is the case with my TL, come straight from the factory with them? Also, how is overall build quality? If I decide to ditch my TL, I will likely get the 2007 G35 (looks like they gussied up the interior a bit and exterior styling is more elegant), but I'd like to get some feedback from current owners before I waste any more time thinking about how much money I'll lose on my TL.

Thanks for any feedback!
I HAD an 04TL and that sucker rattled excessively. Traded for an 05 G35 6MT. You are correct in that the Acrua's interior is a little more refined. Also, the acura sound system is better. There are some "bells & whistles" i mess (most memory mirrors), BUT THE REST GOES TO THE G !!! The performance of the 6MT make the TL seem like a poser. RWD RWD RWD, enough can't be said about the difference between 270hp to the front wheels and 298 hp to the rear wheels. Personally I like the G's seats better. The G feels more like a driver's car, but that's just my opinion. My G had 1 rattle, and the build quality feels better. One thing you'll notice immediately is the leather is much nicer. I'm not sure how the 06 TL is but in the 04 the seat leather was PAPER thin.

All things said I prefer the G, and will wait till late 08 (when I can get a leftover 08 with the new body, sound system, and the other new amenities.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 AM
No question about the performance--the G35 clearly wins in that front. However, if you can believe it, I looked at the TL's FWD as a POSITIVE, torque steer and all. My RWD Z3 was a white knuckle, nightmare in snow and ice, but my wife's 2003 FWD Accord handled such conditions without a hitch. One week, I was literally snowbound for 3 consecutive days--my Z3 would NOT climb the slight incline that leads from our house to the main road (it preferred to spin its rear wheels while trying to do perfect 360s). The Accord had no such issues. When actually driving the Z3 on snowy/icy roads, it was time to say a few hail Mary's. Those experiences had significant weight in my decision to get the TL over the G35 (but the exterior/interior styling and amenities pretty much made up my mind).

Originally Posted by CMT_G35
I HAD an 04TL and that sucker rattled excessively. Traded for an 05 G35 6MT. You are correct in that the Acrua's interior is a little more refined. Also, the acura sound system is better. There are some "bells & whistles" i mess (most memory mirrors), BUT THE REST GOES TO THE G !!! The performance of the 6MT make the TL seem like a poser. RWD RWD RWD, enough can't be said about the difference between 270hp to the front wheels and 298 hp to the rear wheels. Personally I like the G's seats better. The G feels more like a driver's car, but that's just my opinion. My G had 1 rattle, and the build quality feels better. One thing you'll notice immediately is the leather is much nicer. I'm not sure how the 06 TL is but in the 04 the seat leather was PAPER thin.

All things said I prefer the G, and will wait till late 08 (when I can get a leftover 08 with the new body, sound system, and the other new amenities.

Last edited by infinitinewb; 08-28-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Premier Member

I worked for ACURA...I had many ACURAS in my pass exp. but i think the TL are POS...Tranny and over all stuff...But honestly...from owning a G...I guess it's your luck with the car...You have to admit....10-20% of mass produced car tend to have some problems....Some car maker more then others...

Old 08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned

Thanks for any feedback!
Do yourself a favor, go and drive other used G35's and your questions will be answered - this car is one of the biggest rattle-traps there is. There are others on this forum that state that this car is rattle free - at 70K no less; but I’m sure you can see through that BS. What car would not have rattles at 70K…? The G35 rattles because simply, it has sub-par interior assembly and there are way too many pieces used to assemble the interior. FWIW, it looks like this has been addressed for '07 but might not be the case either.

I came from a '05 TL and yes you are correct it rattles, but the G35 is way worse. It's true that some rattle more than others, but that's very subjective for it's all what you value in a car.

Case in point:
I've driven other G35's of owners that I know, that swear that their G never rattles - took there's out and sure enough, rattles all over the place. Some people either have poor hearing, simply ignore them or lie about it in defense of their car. I'm the type of person that will notice any rattle and if that's you - I'd dump it on something else or hold out for the '07.

Good luck.

Last edited by RLampke; 08-28-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my car, but it rattles like crazy. I recently rode in a friend's 05 TL(automatic), and I was quite surprised to hear almost, but not quite, as many rattles.

Honestly though, there is no way we can predict how rattle-free the 07 will be. It would be pure speculation.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by RLampke
Do yourself a favor, go and drive other used G35's and your questions will be answered - this car is one of the biggest rattle-traps there is. There are others on this forum that state that this car is rattle free - at 70K no less; but I’m sure you can see through that BS. What car would not have rattles at 70K…? The G35 rattles because simply, it has sub-par interior assembly and there are way too many pieces used to assemble the interior. FWIW, it looks like this has been addressed for '07 but might not be the case either.

I came from a '05 TL and yes you are correct it rattles, but the G35 is way worse. It's true that some rattle more than others, but that's very subjective for it's all what you value in a car.

Case in point:
I've driven other G35's of owners that I know, that swear that their G never rattles - took there's out and sure enough, rattles all over the place. Some people either have poor hearing, simply ignore them or lie about it in defense of their car. I'm the type of person that will notice any rattle and if that's you - I'd dump it on something else or hold out for the '07.

Good luck.
Damn RLampke, I was wondering what the hell happened to you. All these negative G35 opportunities and you were MIA. You should look into leasing a BMW 328xi or BMW 335i at the same time I do so we can get a better deal by doing two car transactions at once.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like I'll have to let you folks be guinnea pigs for me with the 2007 G35 before I take the plunge. I still can't believe that Honda and Nissan are unable to produce a $35,000 car without rattles. Actually, Honda can, because our $18,000 2003 accord has no rattles, nor does my wife's brand new MDX. Why can't they get their sport sedans right?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Because we are an abusive clientele.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JGFox
Damn RLampke, I was wondering what the hell happened to you. All these negative G35 opportunities and you were MIA. You should look into leasing a BMW 328xi or BMW 335i at the same time I do so we can get a better deal by doing two car transactions at once.
I've been out of the country actually on business, but it's nice to see your thinking of me Nevertheless, I've actually taken Infiniti up on the replacement and ordered up an new '07 G35 Sport w/all the options - including the BLOSE "Studio on Wagon-Wheels". I have to admit I'm interested to see if this "active steering" option is all it’s cracked up to be, for it sounds neat. This swap-out will only cost me $320.00 and I do not have enter into a new lease agreement. So if it ends up being another POS, I'll beat it up for the remaining 14 months and drop-off the carcass at the dealer at lease-end.

This goes against my better judgment, but perusing a full refund was going to be a litigation nightmare and there is a chance that if I lost the case, I would end up w/nothing – so I mitigated the risk. My plan was to take the refund from Infiniti, and go back w/BMW and order up a new M3 sedan, but this did not work out.

We'll see what happens...

Old 08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Banned
Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like I'll have to let you folks be guinnea pigs for me with the 2007 G35 before I take the plunge. I still can't believe that Honda and Nissan are unable to produce a $35,000 car without rattles. Actually, Honda can, because our $18,000 2003 accord has no rattles, nor does my wife's brand new MDX. Why can't they get their sport sedans right?
I have an '06 Mazda 3 that was $24K loaded and has 1/10th the rattels my G has - w/32K+ mi no less. Ya there are rattles like every car, but they are controlled, infrequent and managable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about G35 Rattles (if any) and Build Quality.