G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35 or 2006 GS300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only point I was trying to make with my post was that the 2007 Infiniti M isn't better than the 2007 Lexus GS in "everything except power." The 2007 Infiniti M is targeted more towards consumers who want a lot more raw sport than luxury. The 2007 Lexus GS is targeted more towards consumers who want a refined blend of luxury and sport. I'll take the 2007 Lexus GS over the 2007 Infiniti M every time, but that's just me. IMO, Lexus is the only Japanese luxury car brand that can stand with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. I think the 2007 Lexus LS proves my point here. Lexus is always grouped in with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi because it deserves to be, but I've never seen Infiniti or Acura grouped in with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi when publications talk about luxury car brands. Everything else aside, the average ownership experience is a lot greater with Lexus than it is with Infiniti.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by S L I C K
Some quotes from Edmund's 2005 - 2006 $50,000 Sport Sedans From Japan Comparison Test ( 2006 Lexus 430, 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport, 2005 Acura RL ):

"On the downside? Some on staff feel too much tire noise makes it into the Infiniti's interior and its steering isn't as refined as the GS 430's or the Acura's."

"The Lexus carries a base price of $51,125, which makes it almost $2 grand more than the others. But that extra expense is more than justified by traditional Lexus attention to detail and sweet workmanship. The GS 430 is built like a fine watch and runs just as smoothly. Its interior is a wonderful mix of fine leather, rich wood and simplistic design. Its forms may not be as artful as the other two, but the materials used and its ergonomics are far superior."

"Still, on paper, it's the Lexus that comes out on top. Its combination of performance, luxury and astonishing attention to detail cannot be ignored. It's a car worthy of its price premium over the others, and it's a car anyone would be proud to own. But the Acura RL has run a very close second, very close, and the Infiniti M45 Sport a close third."

"The difference is that the Lexus just feels better than the Infiniti. The Lexus feels special. Although not as powerful, its engine is smoother and more refined, its interior is quieter and more elegant, and its suspension tuned more precisely. Driving the Lexus makes you feel like your money has been spent on the very best, and the car will reward you for years to come."

"The steering is better than that. In fact, this is the best steering in any Lexus today. It's perfect. Plus you get to control it with a perfectly shaped three-spoke steering wheel covered in a combination of walnut accents and buttery leather. By comparison, the steering wheels in the Infiniti and Acura feel like they're covered in sandpaper."

"Lexus has worked the same magic with the GS 430's bucket seats. They're soft but firm at the same time, bolstered just enough and they're swathed in leather so supple you swear you've dropped yourself into a giant Coach wallet. The inside of the Lexus even smells of leather, and we can't say that of the Infiniti or the Acura."

"Lexus is also a step up in safety technology."

"All three of these sedans offer about the same rear-seat room, amenities and comfort, so we can't give the GS any points for that, but we do want to praise the Lexus for its superior ergonomics."

"This is quite a car. It's the best sport sedan from Japan in its price range. It may even be the best sedan in its class. Nice job, Lexus."

"Noisy interior, feels a bit crude compared to the Lexus."

If you only want raw performance get the Infiniti M, but if you want refined performance, luxury, build quality, etc. get the Lexus GS.
Edmunds
"There are prettier cars than the Infiniti M35 and M45 sedans. There are quicker cars. And cheaper cars. And there are more luxurious cars, too. But never all at once. And that's the point. That's how you win comparison tests." First Drive: 2006 Infiniti M35/M45 - A Winner on Paper and a Winner on Pavement
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104605

To quote more consistent and respected sources:

Motor Trend
"For the buyer in search of a great looking, dependable sedan with superb fit and finish and reassuring driving characteristics, the new GS is a sound choice. Based on recent experience, it's likely the Lexus will retain excellent resale value as well. But if you're seeking a true driver's car that encourages you to make excuses to hop behind the wheel to look for the long way home, the M45 is the right choice here." Road Test: 2006 Lexus GS 430 vs. 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...collision.html

"When the road is yours and yours alone, you'll want to be behind the wheel of the Infiniti M35." Road Test: 2005 BMW 530i vs. Jaguar S-Type 3.0 vs. Audi A6 3.2 quattro vs. Cadillac STS V6 vs. Infiniti M35 vs. Acura RL
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...initi_m35.html

Car and Driver
"That the M45 can combine the crazy laughter of a sports fiend with the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie to the extent it has is good reason for it to stand at the top of the heap. The M45 rocks. Game over." "Verdict: Puts the sports back into sports sedan—with a sledgehammer." Infiniti M45 Sport - Comparison
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...m45-sport.html

Motorweek
" 'Throughout the rigorous testing, the M continued to stand out in the highly competitive field of luxury sedans,' said John Davis, host and executive producer of MotorWeek, 'which includes some of best cars in the world from makers like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.' " Infiniti M Named 2006 Best Luxury Sedan in MotorWeek's Drivers' Choice Awards
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/210150.html

Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 PM
The only point I was trying to make with my post was that the 2007 Infiniti M isn't better than the 2007 Lexus GS in "everything except power." The 2007 Infiniti M is targeted more towards consumers who want a lot more raw sport than luxury. The 2007 Lexus GS is targeted more towards consumers who want a refined blend of luxury and sport. I'll take the 2007 Lexus GS over the 2007 Infiniti M every time, but that's just me. IMO, Lexus is the only Japanese luxury car brand that can stand with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. I think the 2007 Lexus LS proves my point here. Lexus is always grouped in with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi because it deserves to be, but I've never seen Infiniti or Acura grouped in with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi when publications talk about luxury car brands. Everything else aside, the average ownership experience is a lot greater with Lexus than it is with Infiniti.
I know a lot of this first hand because my dad has a 2005 BMW 7 Series and my mom has a 2004 BMW X5. There are also various other high end BMW's, Mercedes-Benz's, Audi's, etc. driven by my family members so I have a pretty good sense of fit and finish when it comes to a luxury car. Show me one article that states that Infiniti has better fit and finish or quality of materials than Lexus.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
Edmunds
"There are prettier cars than the Infiniti M35 and M45 sedans. There are quicker cars. And cheaper cars. And there are more luxurious cars, too. But never all at once. And that's the point. That's how you win comparison tests." First Drive: 2006 Infiniti M35/M45 - A Winner on Paper and a Winner on Pavement
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104605

To quote more consistent and respected sources:

Motor Trend
"For the buyer in search of a great looking, dependable sedan with superb fit and finish and reassuring driving characteristics, the new GS is a sound choice. Based on recent experience, it's likely the Lexus will retain excellent resale value as well. But if you're seeking a true driver's car that encourages you to make excuses to hop behind the wheel to look for the long way home, the M45 is the right choice here." Road Test: 2006 Lexus GS 430 vs. 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...collision.html

"When the road is yours and yours alone, you'll want to be behind the wheel of the Infiniti M35." Road Test: 2005 BMW 530i vs. Jaguar S-Type 3.0 vs. Audi A6 3.2 quattro vs. Cadillac STS V6 vs. Infiniti M35 vs. Acura RL
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...initi_m35.html

Car and Driver
"That the M45 can combine the crazy laughter of a sports fiend with the discreet charm of the bourgeoisie to the extent it has is good reason for it to stand at the top of the heap. The M45 rocks. Game over." "Verdict: Puts the sports back into sports sedan—with a sledgehammer." Infiniti M45 Sport - Comparison
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...m45-sport.html

Motorweek
" 'Throughout the rigorous testing, the M continued to stand out in the highly competitive field of luxury sedans,' said John Davis, host and executive producer of MotorWeek, 'which includes some of best cars in the world from makers like BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.' " Infiniti M Named 2006 Best Luxury Sedan in MotorWeek's Drivers' Choice Awards
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...09/210150.html
Every win for the Infiniti M refers to its performance aspect in one way or another. I never argued that the Infiniti M isn't a better performer than the Lexus GS because it is. Like I've said before, if you want raw performance get the Infiniti M and if you want refined performance get the Lexus GS. The Infiniti M wins in the performance field, but the Lexus GS wins when it comes to luxury, refinement, fit and finish, quality of materials, etc. So the Lexus GS is better than the Infiniti M in everything except performance.

Last edited by S L I C K; 09-11-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Ok, let me sum it up guys:

Lexus = Luxury first, then performance
Infiniti = Performance first, then luxury
Acura = both luxury & performance equal

Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Banned
Every win for the Infiniti M refers to its performance aspect in one way or another. I never argued that the Infiniti M isn't a better performer than the Lexus GS because it is. Like I've said before, if you want raw performance get the Infiniti M and if you want refined performance get the Lexus GS. The Infiniti M wins in the performance field, but the Lexus GS wins when it comes to luxury, refinement, fit and finish, quality of materials, etc. So the Lexus GS is better than the Infiniti M in everything except performance.
Even I'll admit that the M is not a bad car at all and definitely competes w/the GS; and is a world better in regards to fit-and-Finish over the current G - and I'm certainly not an advocate of Infiniti by any means. If I had to give a percentage rating, I’d say the M has at least 95% of the build quality of the GS, only suffering on overall interior design. Using the same analogy on performance, the GS is only about 80% of the M, if that. Nevertheless, if you were comparing the current G, I'd say your conclusions are right on - for the fit-and-finish of the current G is horrendous. However, if the new G has the build quality of the M, we may have another winner.

Last edited by RLampke; 09-12-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by RLampke
Even I'll admit that the M is not a bad car at all and definitely competes w/the GS; and is a world better in regards to fit-and-Finish over the current G - and I'm certainly not an advocate of Infiniti by any means. If I had to give a percentage rating, I’d say the M has at least 95% of the build quality of the GS, only suffering on overall interior design. Using the same analogy on performance, the GS is only about 80% of the M, if that. Nevertheless, if you were comparing the current G, I'd say your conclusions are right on - for the fit-and-finish of the current G is horrendous. However, if the new G has the build quality of the M, we may have another winner.
If the 2007 Infiniti G35 is still plagued with poor fit and finish or quality of materials I definitely won't be getting one. Infiniti is a luxury car brand so there is no reason for the Infiniti G35 to suffer in terms of build quality even if it's the cheapest car under the Infiniti brand.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned
If the 2007 Infiniti G35 is still plagued with poor fit and finish or quality of materials I definitely won't be getting one. Infiniti is a luxury car brand so there is no reason for the Infiniti G35 to suffer in terms of build quality even if it's the cheapest car under the Infiniti brand.
Agreed....