G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

AWD question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
Would it be possible to put all season tires on the stock 18” Sport model wheels?
Also, will I have to buy different sizes for the front and rear all season tires?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Lip
Also, will I have to buy different sizes for the front and rear all season tires?
With Nissan's AWD system, all wheels and tires should be the same size at all 4 corners.

I put the 18 inch wheels off of the sport on my car. If you wanted those wheels year round, you could put a nice M&S on there and do just fine.

Or you could go to www.tirerack.com and pick out something that is nicer than the stock 18s-

Speedoholic-

The ride height is going to be a pain in the a$$. We still have seen a "solution" for the X. You can lower it, there just aren't any dampers available.

I have no idea why they don't at least offer the paddle shifters in the X model. You know damn well that if they offered a comprehensive package on the X, Sport, maybe a 6-speed, they'd sell a lot more cars.
The wheels are easy to fix. the other stuff is more difficult.
Personally, if I lived in the Northeast, I'd probably go with the X just because I'd use it all the time, or at least potentially.
In my case, I never see snow until I weekend warrior it up to Tahoe.
I should be driving a 6-speed

Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lip
With Nissan's AWD system, all wheels and tires should be the same size at all 4 corners.

I put the 18 inch wheels off of the sport on my car. If you wanted those wheels year round, you could put a nice M&S on there and do just fine.

Or you could go to www.tirerack.com and pick out something that is nicer than the stock 18s-
I was wondering if I bought a 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport instead of the G35x AWD, would I be able to put all season tires on the stock 18" wheels that come on the G35 Sport model? Also, since the tires on the G35 Sport are different sizes in the front and rear, would I have to buy different sized all season tires to fit the stock 18" wheels. The paddle shifters, 18" wheels, and the sport seats are making me second guess the G35x AWD. If I can easily put all season tires on the G35 Sport's 18" wheels, I'll probably get a G35 Sport. Oh yeah, what’s “M&S”?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Nevermind, I'd probably still be screwed in the winter unless I got 17" wheels with winter tires.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:25 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would it be possible to put all season tires on the stock 18” Sport model wheels?

That's what I think of doing. I have a fairly new set of A/S Avon Tech500 - practically new, with only 8,000 miles on them. I think I'll just strip them off the coupe (put the original Pilots back on for the sale), and use the Avon's in the winter. During summer time, I'll switch back to the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE.

I just can't get over the ugliness of such a beautiful car being ruined by these 17" and that AWD suspension.

...that and the fact that I must have those paddle shifters...

Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Speedoholic
That's what I think of doing. I have a fairly new set of A/S Avon Tech500 - practically new, with only 8,000 miles on them. I think I'll just strip them off the coupe (put the original Pilots back on for the sale), and use the Avon's in the winter. During summer time, I'll switch back to the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE.

I just can't get over the ugliness of such a beautiful car being ruined by these 17" and that AWD suspension.

...that and the fact that I must have those paddle shifters...
Speedoholic, do you know if the front and rear all season tires would have to be different sizes to fit the stock 18" Sport wheels? I'd assume so, but I don't know much about wheels and tires so I don't know. I want those paddle shifters as well.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

I'm less concerned with the performance numbers (after all, we are talking split seconds here anyways), and am more concerned with the things you get on the RWD models - mainly the Sport package. I'm really torn on that one. I live in the NE, and on one hand could really use an AWD, but on the other hand, I really hate the 17"s and the height of the car. I think I'll be going for the RWD and just slap on some A/S tires when the time comes. Those tires (AVON AS Tech500) served me good in the NE winter while I had them on the coupe.

I just can't forgo the 18" wheels and paddle shifters...
I was in the exact same dilemma as you Daniel. The wise and sensible me thought I should get the G35x because of the Canadian winters and having a baby on the way.................................but the devil inside made me order the Sport model instead.

I just wanted the Sport seats and paddle shifters too badly.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I was wondering if I bought a 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport instead of the G35x AWD, would I be able to put all season tires on the stock 18" wheels that come on the G35 Sport model? Also, since the tires on the G35 Sport are different sizes in the front and rear, would I have to buy different sized all season tires to fit the stock 18" wheels. The paddle shifters, 18" wheels, and the sport seats are making me second guess the G35x AWD. If I can easily put all season tires on the G35 Sport's 18" wheels, I'll probably get a G35 Sport. Oh yeah, what’s “M&S”?

slick ...
i believe M&S means "mud and snow" ....correct me if im wrong ?? im in the same situation ...with the few days of snow that we get here in jersey its best to get awd but im now leaning towards a sports model. instead of using all season tires i would get snow tires from november to april the latest and just switch them out back and forth. not the most economical way but i get the best performance from both sets of tires.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
slick ...
i believe M&S means "mud and snow" ....correct me if im wrong ?? im in the same situation ...with the few days of snow that we get here in jersey its best to get awd but im now leaning towards a sports model. instead of using all season tires i would get snow tires from november to april the latest and just switch them out back and forth. not the most economical way but i get the best performance from both sets of tires.
A fellow NJ resident. Where in NJ are you? Did you test drive the G35 Sport yet? I can't get past the paddle shifters, 18" wheels, and the seats in the G35 Sport. If the G35x AWD had paddle shifters, nicer 17" wheels, and the seats in the G35 Sport, I'd be all over it.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
A fellow NJ resident. Where in NJ are you? Did you test drive the G35 Sport yet? I can't get past the paddle shifters, 18" wheels, and the seats in the G35 Sport. If the G35x AWD had paddle shifters, nicer 17" wheels, and the seats in the G35 Sport, I'd be all over it.

slick,

i know what you mean ... i was all set on the awd with the snowey winters we have but its not easy turning down the sports. with the winter tires i think ill be just fine soo im really really leaning towards the sports now

Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but TireRack.com doesn't seem to have any all season or winter tires that match the 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport's tire size ( LINK ).

Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Damn you all!! I was soooo set on the AWD and my coworkers or friends couldnt deter me...now you've got me second guessing myself...hahah.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Speedoholic, do you know if the front and rear all season tires would have to be different sizes to fit the stock 18" Sport wheels? I'd assume so, but I don't know much about wheels and tires so I don't know. I want those paddle shifters as well.
Yes, they are of different size:

Front: 225/50/R18
Rear: 245/45/R18

The Avons I have on the coupe are:

Front: 225/45/R18
Rear: 245/45/R18

As you can see, they are pretty much the same, so I think I'll be able to switch them over.

The Avons are great tires and dirt cheap - I got the whole set for just above $450 from TireRack.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Originally Posted by canuck
I was in the exact same dilemma as you Daniel. The wise and sensible me thought I should get the G35x because of the Canadian winters and having a baby on the way.................................but the devil inside made me order the Sport model instead.

I just wanted the Sport seats and paddle shifters too badly.
Well I'll be damned! I think we share the same demons...

Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Add me to this list...

Well I'll be damned! I think we share the same demons...
Add me to the list of those sharing these demons. I test drove the G35 Sport this past weekend and the paddle shifters are what gave me second thoughts. They are fantastic and the car just feels faster when you use them. I didn't get the response from the car when I hit the gas in full auto mode but the paddles were a completely different experience.

Just to throw a little more gas on the fire, the dealer (Chicago area) mentioned that I should be fine without AWD if I just put snows on the 18s for the winter. The car should handle fine and he referenced the M35/45 RWD as an example. What's funny is that this is the second dealer to tell me this, both mentioning weight distribution as a major factor.

Has anybody heard a similar opinion on this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD question