G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Best in Class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best in Class?

Now that we have pictures, a video or two, and most importantly, test drives up on the forum. What do you guys feel about Infiniti's original "best-in-class" statement for the new sedan? Fit and finish is way above 1st gen. as many have happily reported. Handling seems to be right on...on par with BMW? I don't know. Technology is there as always with every latest Infiniti model. Some say that the acceleration is great and others say that they aren't terribly impressed. Then there is the whole value argument. I know it is still early and many of us haven't seen (personally) or driven the car for ourselves yet...thoughts anyone?

Last edited by N50; 10-18-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Originally Posted by N50
Now that we have pictures, a video or two, and most importantly, test drives up on the forum. What do you guys feel about Infiniti's original "best-in-class" statement for the new sedan? Fit and finish is way above 1st gen. as many have happily reported. Handling seems to be right on...on par with BMW? I don't know. Technology is there as always with every latest Infiniti model. Some say that the acceleration is great and others say that they are terribly impressed. Then there is the whole value argument. I know it is still early and many of us haven't seen (personally) or driven the car for ourselves yet...thoughts anyone?
Best in class hands down.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
When you take into consideration styling, performance, technology, and price, there is NOT one single car that can compete IMO.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N50
Now that we have pictures, a video or two, and most importantly, test drives up on the forum. What do you guys feel about Infiniti's original "best-in-class" statement for the new sedan? Fit and finish is way above 1st gen. as many have happily reported. Handling seems to be right on...on par with BMW? I don't know. Technology is there as always with every latest Infiniti model. Some say that the acceleration is great and others say that they are terribly impressed. Then there is the whole value argument. I know it is still early and many of us haven't seen (personally) or driven the car for ourselves yet...thoughts anyone?

At this point, I'd have to say that the new G35 is, in fact, best in class given the value. BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes are VERY nice cars, but they're also much more expensive. For me, technology/gadgets are important and Infiniti delivers big time here (as does Lexus), but BMW and Mercedes are terrible in this category.

I've had an E46 M3 ('02) and and '04 Lexus IS300, and I'm definitely the most impressed with this new G35. The new IS350 is definitely nice, but I was really disappointed with the interior and the fact that the car is not offered in a manual transmission.

For the money, you can't really beat the G35!

However, I'll be interested to see the new Acura TL Sport version that's coming soon. While I have an '06 Acura MDX (wife's), I don't really like the body styling of the TL. The one thing I LOVE about Acura, though, is that the technology and gadgets are always cutting edge. Their products are also great value.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
DWP
Depends upon what you want. If you want the highest level in driving dynamics, the BMW 3-Series is probably still BiC. If you crave isolation from external stimuli, the Lexus IS is BiC. I'm hanging around here a lot because the G35 promises to be overall BiC, taking everything into account, including value for dollar, even if it's not BiC in some respects. We shall see. There's no final, beyond-debate answer to the question you pose, though, because subjective judgments are necessarily involved.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by DWP
There's no final, beyond-debate answer to the question you pose, though, because subjective judgments are necessarily involved.
So very true, any posts in this thread are merely subjective.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
N50
Originally Posted by canuck
So very true, any posts in this thread are merely subjective.
Yep, you're right. All posts will be subjective. Since we all love the G for one reason or another, the answers received make perfect sense. However, to say a car will be best-in-class (as far as the media is concerned) before it is even released is a pretty bold statement. I was just curious if you guys felt this car lives up to some of the hype created.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by N50
I was just curious if you guys felt this car lives up to some of the hype created.
While I haven't driven the new G yet, I am confident it is every bit as fun to drive as my 03....and then some. We all know the interior has been seriously revamped and reviews by magazines and fellow members have had pretty much all good things to say about it. The technology this car has for the price is unmatched IMO.

For me, the IS350 didn't enter the equation because the back seat is borderline useless and I am starting a family. Also, a similiarly equipped IS350 is about $9700 more than what I paid for my 07 G. Uh, no thanks! The 335i Sedan also didn't enter the equation for me simply because I like the G's styling so much more. And there is also the price factor as well with the 335i. The TL is FWD so that was also out the window.

So for ME, the new G lives up to the "Best in Class" hype they stated awhile back.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree with the statement. One thing is very true. The new G35 will KILL the sales of IS350.

IS350 enjoyed its power-lead for very short time. Now 335i sedan and new G35 are here, there is really nothing IS350 offers that others don't. I think IS350's interior is one of the most over-rated thing today. Its fit-and-finish is still top class but its huge plastic center piece is yelling "Cheap!" all the time. At least both BMW and Infiniti are using real aluminium. Not to mention its useless troll-friendly rear seats.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I dont even know what best in class means anymore. most buyers dont solely focus on one clas anymore when making a car purchase. I think it should be best overall for the $$.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
In term of values, definitely best in class.

In term of performance, probably behind 335 but way ahead of IS350 and TL.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Speaking of the IS. I went and test drove one a few weeks ago to try and shake the G bug that I have. I mentioned to the sales lady that I am going to wait until I test drive the new G before doing anything. She then trotted to the back office to photocopy a quality ranking where Lexus was #2. Problem is that Infiniti was still in the top 10 (#8). She then said "Oh, are they coming out with a new design for the G". So either she is a bad actor and thinks I don't know that they are worried as hell at Lexus or she is really stupid. Either way, they can say goodbye to the MSRP pricing they have been getting away with for the last year!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
lazy a$$
I just think the IS is a bit overpriced

Old 10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GiveMeVPP!
... Problem is that Infiniti was still in the top 10 (#8)...
Do you happen to remember the other rankings?

Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Here is a scan of what she gave me:

Best in Class?-jdpowers.jpg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best in Class?