G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Yet 1 more '07 G35 Sedan test drive from a real Infiniti fan and current driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet 1 more '07 G35 Sedan test drive from a real Infiniti fan and current driver

So, I finally got to take a spin in the '07 G35 Sedan, and below are my thoughts on the experience and ultimately, my decision on which car I will be driving in about 4-6 weeks. I didn't get a chance to try out some of the updated technology, like the Bose "Studio on Wheels" system, and I only played with the Navi system briefly. My main point in driving this car was to try to get a comparison to the '07 BMW 335i Coupe which I ordered in late Sept. (deliv. currently scheduled for end of Nov.). I test drove an '07 G35 S - Liquid Platinum w/ wheat (or gray) interior, Auto, Prem.,Tech, and Navi packages.

1. Styling: I thought the car looks much better than the previous G35 Sedan. It looks great on the outside as well as on the inside. I like the Washi alum. trim; it's very similar to the current brushed alum. trim on my '03 FX35. The paddle shifters look and work great. However, one thing I had a feeling I would really hate in person were the sport wheels, and I was right...they're aweful imho. Infiniti really should have put some nice sport wheels on this car, like the ones on the M35/45 Sport.

2. Drive: Yes, this car is considerably faster than the previous gen. G35, and I liked the way it holds power right up to redline (yes, I got to redline it to 7,500 a couple times ). I didn't notice the downshift rev-matching, but I didn't notice it in the BMW 335i (which also has this feature) either. However, I was so very disappointed when I noticed one major thing which it seems Infiniti forgot to address with this new version of the G35...the transmission! Not only is there still a significant upshift delay (literally about 1/3 - 1/2 sec.) in MM mode (whether using the shifter or the paddle shifters), but it really "banged" into gear. I thought well, maybe it bangs into just 1 or 2 gears under spirited driving, but no, it bangs hard into just about all the gears. This was pretty much all I needed to feel to make my decision.

The other thing that I noticed (or more like didn't notice) was the highly disputed "improved" exhaust and exhaust note. Yes, it does sound a bit deeper in tone than before, but it still does NOT sound anything like the G35 Coupe or FX35/45. It's nice that Infiniti decided to go with a true dual exhaust and dual air intakes, but it's like they either restricted flow somewhere or just didn't really take advantage of their improvements in this area. What does sound better, especially under WOT, are the engine sounds (which I think Trey had alluded to in his review and video). From inside the car, it does sound a bit better than the previous gen. G35 Sedan, but I think they could have made it much, much better if they had wanted to.

One more thing that I was disappointed about were the brakes (which I know there's already discussion about whether the brakes are better or worse). Let me tell you that I felt the brakes were worse than the brakes on my '03 FX35...Infiniti went way too far to make them "less touchy." Now, they're very spongy and it takes a decent press to engage the brakes. I'd rather have touchy brakes than spongy brakes, which remind me of Ford brakes...scary! In contrast, the BMW 335i's brakes are impeccable and make the car stop on a dime.

So, in the end, I've decided to stick with my order for a loaded BMW 335i Coupe (auto w/ paddle shifters, prem, sport, comfort access, navi, active cruise control, and Sirius sat radio). Although I like the interior of the new, '07 G35 better than the BMW 335i, it just doesn't drive as well. The BMW 335i's tranny (in MM mode using or not using the paddle shifters) is sooooo smooth and lightning fast, that it significantly improves the driving experience, beside it being just about as fast as the outgoing BMW M3! It doesn't bang into gear and there's just no delay when you shift and/or want more power (even with the small twin turbos). Yes, the G35 feels faster and is faster than the previous gen. G35 Sedan. However, the torque is about the same as before; it doesn't push you back against the seat like the BMW 335i does. Although I didn't really get to test the G35's handling characteristics, I think it's probably safe to say that the G35 may be close, but not up to par with the BMW 335i's handling capabilities and driving feel. The G35 seems a bit smoother over the bumps than before, but not as smooth and tight as the BMW 335i, and I've experienced how the BMW 335i handles around turns...like it's on rails. It must be the 50/50 weight distrib. and the suspension on the BMW 335i ...it's amazing.

Maybe I'm just nit-picking a bit, but it's what I had to do to compare the two vehicles and to make a final decision for myself. I am not knocking the '07 G35...it's a phenomenal car, and anyone who becomes an '07 G35 driver should know that they're still probably getting the best bang for your buck in this car segment. Good luck to all!

btw - thanks to my 3 years of driving the Infiniti's (an '03 FX35 and an '04.5 G35 Sedan - RIP, 4/05 ) and thanks to all of you on G35Driver.com, walking into the Infiniti dealer today, I can tell you that I knew 100x more about this car than anyone at the dealer did. I know that's sad for them, but it's true.

Last edited by bsgoren; 10-20-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
+1... similar experience.
Loved the car inside & out, except the washi dodn't go as well with the black interior.... had a yellowish look to it.
Probably works well with willow.

Also agree about the AT tranny.... it's unchanged
dunno about the 6mt, which is what I'd be interested in.

I thought the chasis dynamics were a big improvement as well.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
bsgoren,

How much is the 335i going to set you back? Just curious. Is the BMW really $10,000 better than the infiniti?

Old 10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
bsgoren,

How much is the 335i going to set you back? Just curious. Is the BMW really $10,000 better than the infiniti?
Thank you for bring up the $$ thing, b/c although the Infiniti salespeople at my dealer didn't know the official pricing (I know...sore subject; like what's the big secret??? ), they thought that a fully loaded G35 Sedan will be right around $40-$41k. So, my almost completely loaded BMW 335i Coupe (which is just a bit more expensive than the 335i Sedan with the same tt engine) has an MSRP of $51,990, but I got a $2k discount off MSRP (selling price of $49,990). So, say it's about $9k more than a fully loaded G35 Sedan, and the only options/features in the '07 G35 Sedan that are not offered in the BMW 335i are the 9.5gb HDD and the rearview camera (which I currently have in my FX35 and love). So, after today, do I think the BMW 335i worth it the extra money? To me, simply YES! Others might disagree, but remember that you don't have to load up the car with all the options like I do.

Last edited by bsgoren; 10-20-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OUr local dealer has the official pricing. He told me base was only up $400 and a fully loaded X was around $1200 more- CDN $$. He gave me the numbers but I forgot what he said since I'm not in the market myself for one anyway.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
OUr local dealer has the official pricing. He told me base was only up $400 and a fully loaded X was around $1200 more- CDN $$. He gave me the numbers but I forgot what he said since I'm not in the market myself for one anyway.
Sounds right to me.
I didn't get exact #s but was told pricing up ~1%

Old 10-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Which still puts a fully loaded G35 Sedan Sport -- Prem, Tech, Navi, Performance Tire & Wheel Package, Rear Active Steering, etc. around the $40k+ mark, and it appears that most ppl won't get much off MSRP for the first few months.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Bsgoren,

i must say that ur review is the most realistic review that i have read so far on the 07 model.
Yes everyone elses review were excellent aswell but they were trying too hard kinda like trying to sell the car to others. Goren's review is more reality sense to me if that make sense at all.

I saw a 335i for the first time yesterday and let me tell u, it's F! gorgeous. I must have spent 7 minutes walking around it and peaking inside trying to get pass the dam 5% tint or whater he had on the car. I know for sure i left face and hand prints all over that guys car lol. it was dark cyan blue like color very nice with dark red interior. It was unreal seeing that car for the first time.

But anywho just wanted to share my opinions on the two brands.
Any jerk here rich enough to have both? If so could u PLZZ post both cars pic just to compare.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Wow, $9k USD difference is a lot of coin. It's all a personal preference thing, and I am sure you'll enjoy your new Bimmer. I hope you still drop in here periodically.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by canuck
Wow, $9k USD difference is a lot of coin. It's all a personal preference thing, and I am sure you'll enjoy your new Bimmer. I hope you still drop in here periodically.
Of course. I've enjoyed spending A LOT of time here on G35Driver.com over the past 2 years or so (although my wife may not appreciate this Forum as much as I do) I'm sure I'll occasionally stop by...

Old 10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Waxer
I looked at the 335i very nice car and was top on my list as well.

I just priced a similar priced BMW with as much as the same options as a sport, nav, prem, tech G35 and it came out at $52,205.

Last edited by Sedanman07; 10-20-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Hater...haha, JK. I must say, the new Bimmer is sweet. And maybe the Infiniti quality is not quite Lexus quality (although I hear a lot of IS rattle stories too), but I have owned a few German rides (3 series, A4, TT, Touareg) and one was worse than the next when it came to quality. Never major things, but overall quality kind of blew (I did LOVE that TT however)...Anyway, I am sure the Bimmer is a beast, but for 10K premium, Maybe $12K if you just get a well equiped G35, I am taking the money and RUNNING to Infiniti. For the cash, you can't come close (of course this is all built up in my head, as I have yet to see, touch or drive one)...ha

Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Wow $9K price difference is a lot! Personally I could never afford anything over $40K period. I don’t need nav or automatic for that matter but I absolutely must have real leather, a powered drivers seat, memory seat(I am almost 6’4” and my is 5’2”), the keyless entry, the garage door opener, and the sport package. I can probably get the G35 with these features for around $36,000 msrp and the 335i would probably run me about $46,000 msrp. Now I don’t believe all of this about the 335i being discounted more than the G35. The truth is that you could probably get between $1500 and $2000 off of either car if you know how to haggle and walk away. For the $10K difference I just can not justify the extra performance of the BMW. I am definitely jealous of those who can afford it! However, I will just be content with the 07 whenever I can swap my 05 lease for the 07. To each his own.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by bsgoren
I test drove an '07 G35 S - Liquid Platinum w/ wheat interior, Auto, Prem.,Tech, and Navi packages.
According to the color combo chart (posted elsewhere), the liquid platinum isnt available w/ a wheat interior.....I'm confused.

Nice review btw...

Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by DaCurryman
According to the color combo chart (posted elsewhere), the liquid platinum isnt available w/ a wheat interior.....I'm confused.

Nice review btw...
Well, ok, maybe it was stone interior...whatever, it was beige, ok?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet 1 more '07 G35 Sedan test drive from a real Infiniti fan and current driver