G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

To Trade...or NOT to Trade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Trade...or NOT to Trade?

Ok Guys....

Was waiting for the 07 G. After a test drive of the 06 (toooo cramped for my taste) and needing a car asap, bought the 07 Maxima.

Fast forward 3 months...pricing is released.....and the value has got me thinking again....

Have yet to see the 07 in person, my local dealer in MD called n told me it would b there, haven't got around to see it yet.

But i'm thinkinig......what would you guys do? It's a lil biased but...

07 Maxima, about 6.3k miles - list price w options - 35,415....

How much you think they will knock off if i trade it in for the G?

Was thinking.....i'd get 32ish...

Worth the time and extra $$ to trade up? Willing to give at most 3g to trade up.

LET ME KNOW!

btw, any 07s in NYc? Will make some calls tomorrow see if i can see this thing up close.

Thanks in advanced guys!

Old 10-29-2006, 04:14 AM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't you have to pay tax again tho? that makes you in at least 3k ...

i'm in a similar spot

Old 10-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by absolutg
don't you have to pay tax again tho? that makes you in at least 3k ...
I didn't have to pay the full tax amount on my trade.. I only have to pay the tax on difference between my current loan and the new car. I am trading in my vette ($33k) and getting the G ($39k) I am only paying the 6% tax on the difference which is $6k ($360 total tax!)

Maybe you will be able to do the same if you have a loan on the Maxima?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your message isn't exactly clear to me. Are you saying you would pay 3K on the difference or take a trade in value 3K less than you paid for the Max?

In any case the trade in value isn't the only critical issue since they can give you more value on trade and then no discount on the G. What is important is what you will pay in difference for the new car. Calculate the best cash price you would pay for the '07 G and then subtract the lowest you are willing to take for the Max. That's the difference you'll pay tax on giving you your total outlay.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by RBull
Your message isn't exactly clear to me. Are you saying you would pay 3K on the difference or take a trade in value 3K less than you paid for the Max?

In any case the trade in value isn't the only critical issue since they can give you more value on trade and then no discount on the G. What is important is what you will pay in difference for the new car. Calculate the best cash price you would pay for the '07 G and then subtract the lowest you are willing to take for the Max. That's the difference you'll pay tax on giving you your total outlay.
I meant the Difference of the cash value and the 07 G, i'd be willing to pay, plus tax is atmost 3g.

I paid about over 1g less then the list total, with tax. Got VPP which knocked 4g off the sticker, tax and all the other goodies (destination, etc) added about 3g.

But question is....do you guys think it would be a worthwild move?

Last edited by Omarvelous; 10-29-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Omarvelous
I meant the Difference of the cash value and the 07 G, i'd be willing to pay, plus tax is atmost 3g.

I paid about over 1g less then the list total, with tax. Got VPP which knocked 4g off the sticker, tax and all the other goodies (destination, etc) added about 3g.

But question is....do you guys think it would be a worthwild move?
I wish you the best but it's highly unlikely you will be able to do a deal with the numbers you're looking at. I'm more familiar with CDN $$ so harder to estimate but I would think your depreciation would be more like 15-20%+.

Sorry, I don't think I can help you decide it it's a worthwhile move. You have to decide what your priorities are in a vehicle and then the financial cost to move.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Where I live new Maximas are going at $4000 off MSRP as a starting point.

You would proably be better off selling it on autotrader to minimize your loss.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:43 PM
I highly doubt it. You will probably get hosed on your trade. Cars will take a big ht in depreciation that new. But, your best bet would just be to go to the dealer and see.

That was one expensive Maxima. If you could have waited a bit you could have had a G for about the same price... (sorry, not meaning to rub salt in your wounds, just commenting on how the Maxima is close inprice to the G, which seems like a way better value to me).

Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the laugh, if your Maxima list (msrp) was $35K and you think they'll give you $32K for it! Hah! Even if invoice was $35K, I still don't think $32K is realistic.

Considering the age and miles, I would bet about $5K minimum whatever invoice cost of the car was... they have to worry about selling that car back to someone, assuming perfect condition. I know it might not make sense, but you're going to take a large depreciation hit, even though it's only 3 months old... you'll see.

As you wait longer, you'll be in a better situation, as you will have a little more equity in the max (making payments) and dealers willing to come down on price of the G35.

If you sell it retail, you will need to pay sales tax on the total price of the G35. If you trade, then will only have to pay the difference between the 2 car values. At 6% tax, that would be around $2000 in tax savings. But you would get more on the retail market... I dunno about $2K higher, though.