G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel Economy

Since I got my G35x on October 23, I have filled up two and a half times (one of them only a half-tank), gone about 900km.

On the first tank it was almost entirely city driving, lots of stop-and-go and idle. I know I am in Canada but I just love to convert to mpg. I think I did about 12mpg.

Then on the second tank was a mix of city and highway driving. A bit better this time at 14mpg.

Just filled up about half a tank last night (it was 84.9 cents/litre for premium). This half tank was done almost entirely on highway. I got about 15.5mpg.

These figures are a long way from the 19mpg city, 26mpg highway quoted by Infiniti. Even the real-life test by Motorweek got 22mpg mixed.

Can this poor economy so far be blamed on the newness of the car? It has not been properly broken-in yet. I would not say I have a really heavy right foot.

Can anyone who has a 2007 G35 share his/her information here? How about you guys who own a first-generation G35? Did you remember anything similar when you got your new car?

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow that is low! I hope the ECU is still in the learning stages and it will get better for you. I average ~17-18 even with the Stillen.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd have to agree. I'm averaging anywhere between 16-17 mpg. Far cry from the 24-25 I used to get with my TSX. Lets hope its just being broken in.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Are you running premium? I've found that a tank of premium lasts a lot longer than the mid grade gas in my 03.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Railgunner
Are you running premium? I've found that a tank of premium lasts a lot longer than the mid grade gas in my 03.
Yes. I really don't know what gass they have put in when I picked up the car, but so far I have used Canadian Tire 91, Sunoco 93 (US), and Esso 93.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by mhleung
Since I got my G35x on October 23, I have filled up two and a half times (one of them only a half-tank), gone about 900km.

On the first tank it was almost entirely city driving, lots of stop-and-go and idle. I know I am in Canada but I just love to convert to mpg. I think I did about 12mpg.

Then on the second tank was a mix of city and highway driving. A bit better this time at 14mpg.

Just filled up about half a tank last night (it was 84.9 cents/litre for premium). This half tank was done almost entirely on highway. I got about 15.5mpg.

These figures are a long way from the 19mpg city, 26mpg highway quoted by Infiniti. Even the real-life test by Motorweek got 22mpg mixed.

Can this poor economy so far be blamed on the newness of the car? It has not been properly broken-in yet. I would not say I have a really heavy right foot.

Can anyone who has a 2007 G35 share his/her information here? How about you guys who own a first-generation G35? Did you remember anything similar when you got your new car?

Thanks everyone!
Infiniti didn't quote the 19/26.
The EPA did.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:25 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone!
No doubt a lot of the reason is that the ride is new, tight, and still breaking in. It's generally not a good idea to check mileage until after break-in when everything is loosended up and running freely.
The weather lately here in GTA area has been cold too, having a direct bearing on your mileage.
Are you sure you're doing the mileage check accurately? If not, then that may account for some of the low reading too.

one more thing: the mileage quoted on Motorweek was for a rear drive Sedan. An X you can expect to be slightly less.

C.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
No doubt a lot of the reason is that the ride is new, tight, and still breaking in. It's generally not a good idea to check mileage until after break-in when everything is loosended up and running freely.
The weather lately here in GTA area has been cold too, having a direct bearing on your mileage.
Are you sure you're doing the mileage check accurately? If not, then that may account for some of the low reading too.

one more thing: the mileage quoted on Motorweek was for a rear drive Sedan. An X you can expect to be slightly less.

C.
+1
the only way is to start with a full tank, then do the calc manually when you fill.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm telling you guys...the G35 is a gas guzzler, you can tell by the way it drives and the way the gearbox works.

I think it'll be impossible to avg over 20MPG with mixed driving...18 is my bed.

Btw I drove back 100 miles to get home after i picked mine up from the dealership, avged 14.75mpg doing about 70 on the highway.

This infiniti is a nice car, but there are still tons of things I miss about my old BMW and things I like better about my TL.

Just remember guys, every car has its niche, it's rare to find a car that is actually better than another car. If they're in the same price class and one seems tobe a lot better, odds are you can get theother one for a lot cheaper.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:34 PM
The motor is still green. I'd give it a least a thousand or so miles [whatever that is in kilometers], to begin to assess the fuel economy. The figure does seem to be a bit low, but I wouldn't panic. Some good long distance trips to break the motor in should help somewhat. Follow the break in schedule and tread lightly until the motor loosens up a bit.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
the only way is to start with a full tank, then do the calc manually when you fill.
I did. On my first, second and third fillups, I divided the mileage on the tripmeter by fuel used. I never got over 16mpg yet.

However, I did notice on highway driving on Saturday, that at 140km/h on cruise, I got about 9L/100km on the computer readout. That lasted for a while, then when I sped up and down it changed accordingly of course.

Just hope I will get better mileage as the car is gradually broken-in.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Samson
The motor is still green. I'd give it a least a thousand or so miles [whatever that is in kilometers], to begin to assess the fuel economy. The figure does seem to be a bit low, but I wouldn't panic. Some good long distance trips to break the motor in should help somewhat. Follow the break in schedule and tread lightly until the motor loosens up a bit.
Made a shopping trip from Toronto to Niagara yesterday. Cracked 200km/h on a stretch (a SHORT one), and the "Acceleration Swell" was really amazing.

On my way across Lewiston, the US Immigration guy was impressed by the car...the first one he has seen. He asked me to turn off the engine and let him search the trunk. Then he asked me to hand over the keys. I said...what keys? He took one look of the "START" button and he went "WOW!".

I love my car!

Old 11-05-2006, 04:41 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I did. On my first, second and third fillups, I divided the mileage on the tripmeter by fuel used. I never got over 16mpg yet.

However, I did notice on highway driving on Saturday, that at 140km/h on cruise, I got about 9L/100km on the computer readout. That lasted for a while, then when I sped up and down it changed accordingly of course.

Just hope I will get better mileage as the car is gradually broken-in.
Traveling at 140kph (90mph) or more will severely cut into your mileage too.
Actually much above the speed limit of 100 (62mph) will cause your mileage to drop off quickly..

Something to think about: My '03 Sedan after break-in and at the speed limit would get better than 30 mpg's at steady speed (over distance).

Give it a try and see what you get over a tankful.

C.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Made a shopping trip from Toronto to Niagara yesterday. Cracked 200km/h on a stretch (a SHORT one), and the "Acceleration Swell" was really amazing.

On my way across Lewiston, the US Immigration guy was impressed by the car...the first one he has seen. He asked me to turn off the engine and let him search the trunk. Then he asked me to hand over the keys. I said...what keys? He took one look of the "START" button and he went "WOW!".

I love my car!
Stop. You are making me jealous. I have an 03.5 Sedan and am absolutely drooling over the new '07. That smilie tells me that in spite of the fuel economy, you are grinning from ear to ear every time you get on it. I know you will be happy with your choice. As for the fuel economy, it will improve as the car breaks in. After that, you will have the best all around car that money can buy-looks, performance, luxury and price. Can't beat that!

Old 11-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
for the benefit of the US guys that may not know the US equivalent milage quoted is about 10-13 mpg.

That's a shame about your fuel economy but I suspect you may be a little heavy on the throttle plus the car is very new, and the colder weather isn't helping. Driving at 88 mph/140km is going to really chew gas in most any vehicle. Hope you find an improvement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy