G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Studio on Wheels - Sound Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Studio on Wheels - Sound Impressions

For those of you who are lucky to own the 2007 G35 Sedan, what are your impressions of the "Studio on Wheels" sound system that is included with the premium package? I know many of us who own the 2003-2006 upgraded their sound systems due to the horrible Bose system. I am hoping to purchase a 2007 G35 Sedan and hope the "Studio on Wheels" is up to par without having to spend any additional money on upgrading.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BaByBoY779
For those of you who are lucky to own the 2007 G35 Sedan, what are your impressions of the "Studio on Wheels" sound system that is included with the premium package? I know many of us who own the 2003-2006 upgraded their sound systems due to the horrible Bose system. I am hoping to purchase a 2007 G35 Sedan and hope the "Studio on Wheels" is up to par without having to spend any additional money on upgrading.

Thanks.

Dave
I got a chance to hear it in showroom..Didn't sound all that great to me lol but I was listing to in showroom and he only put the volume to about 10

Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was not what I had expected, but maybe all the hype really raised the bar for me. I put in my 50-cent CD (whatever I could grab quickly off my visor CD holder), and the bass was not that rich or deep (at the max), and the overall sound was no better than my cheap aftermarket audio setup in my Mazda6. Maybe I'm just being picky, although I'm no audiophile.

My judgment of it is not a fair assessment since I didn't play with it for that long. Honest, it's one of the best "stock" systems I've heard. I think I'll be pleasantly satisfied with it, especially with three subwoofers.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I too had a similar 'not that impressed' first reaction.

I played with it on a test drive, so granted it did not have my full attention, but from what I heard, which was a smooth jazz FM station, it sounded kind of lame. Certainly not close to all hype. But perhaps the settings were all off.

I assume it MUST be quite decent, otherwise the marketing guys would have just stayed silent (no pun intended) on this aspect of the car, rather than playing it up so much (again no pun intended).

Old 11-06-2006, 05:19 PM
FYI, audio speakers also have "break-in periods", especially sub-woofers. they need time to loosen up to deliver the tight, rich, deep bass. give it some time and then report back.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by kdsooner
FYI, audio speakers also have "break-in periods", especially sub-woofers. they need time to loosen up to deliver the tight, rich, deep bass. give it some time and then report back.
I'm dying to hear mine on Friday. I'm used to a Harmon/Kardon system which is just wild, so we'll see if it cuts it for trance (probably one of the craziest ranges that you can get consistent and ridiculous highs and lows simultaneously).

Old 11-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I heard it too and wasn't very impressed. It's better than the Bose system in the 03-06, but that isn't saying much. It is, however, at least as good as *most* of the systems in it's class, with the ML from the IS250/350 being the clear winner (imo).

Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
The kind of sound most people seem to go for in aftermarket car systems is crazy high treble and overboosted bass. This is different sound than an audiophile type system and probably not what infiniti was going for. I bet the system will dissapoint more than a few.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Audio is important to me. I have around 10,000 CDs and an expensive system at home that I put together after a long and careful audition process. I'm a two-channel purist; not into surround sound. I listen for accuracy and resolution, clarity over warmth. I particularly despise the bloated bass that plagues most home and car systems.

I listened to an XM classical feed for a few minutes during my test drive of the G35 and was impressed, but it wasn't a proper evaluation. I was struck with the clarity at highway speeds. It's important to test at speed, not just in the showroom, so that road noise can enter the equation. The TL-S system was also impressive, but again just a few minutes on an XM feed.

I'm starting to realize that some of these modern OEM systems are a lot nicer than what I've grown accustomed to with all my previous cars, and so I have decided that an excellent audio system is a requirement for my next car. I plan to go back to both the G35 and TL-S (and others) and do a real evaluation with my own CDs. I'm also interested in the 2008 G35 enhancement that optimizes sound for just the driver side, just the passenger side, etc., but I don't think I can wait that long. I'll post my impressions once I do a real audition.

Incidentally, the G35 and TL have different philosophies toward audio. The G35 is a purist two-channel system (an approach that I prefer), while the TL is biased toward multichannel and uses Dolby Pro-Logic II to artificially simulate a multichannel signal from a two-channel source.

Several years ago I rode in an LS 430 in the casual carpool (bay area), and I was blown away by the Mark Levinson system. Too bad he was playing Bob Seger. Also too bad Lexus doesn't make a car I'd want to own.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-07-2011)
Old 11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by wavelengths
I'm dying to hear mine on Friday. I'm used to a Harmon/Kardon system which is just wild, so we'll see if it cuts it for trance (probably one of the craziest ranges that you can get consistent and ridiculous highs and lows simultaneously).
What's your car with the HK system, and is it a factory system?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:27 PM
If you're looking for a LOUD, blow your socks off system then this is not it. The volume goes up less loud than most lower quality systems but the clarity and quality of sound stays true and clear.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Waxer
Well I have been playing and listening to mine the last couple of days. I've listen to the radio, the CD's and to XM. I'm not a big bass kind of guy. So yes if you are looking for bass that rocks your windows forget it.

But if you like good sounding music then this system has it. Cranked up there is very little if any distortion. I really like it. As good as most anything I've heard out there.

At a show I listen to the M35 system with it's surround sound and believe this system to be better then the G.

Also remember you are paying $2350 for the Prem package that gets you this radio upgrade. But for the $2350 you are also getting sunroof, heated seats, power seats, bluetooth and more. So how much are you really paying for the radio. In some models you pay $2500 just for the radio upgrade alone.

I like it a lot.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 PM
What are the modding opportunities for the 2007 G35 Sedan audio system? It appears that swapping out a new radio/dash conversion is going to be quite difficult.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I would say add some nice 12inch woofers and keep head unit

Old 11-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kdsooner
so true... and every speaker/subwoofer may differ depending on material used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Studio on Wheels - Sound Impressions