G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Studio on Wheels - Sound Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
I wasn't aware that speakers have break in periods as well. How long of a break in period would be typical for speaker and subs?
Yup, that's true. I remember for my audio setup, I was told a few months (depends on how frequently you drive and turn your music on).

Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ephemere
I just did a controlled comparison of the best available audio systems on these 6 cars:
  • MB E350 (Harman Kardon)
  • VW Passat sedan (Dynaudio)
  • VW GTI (no branding)
  • Acura TL-S (Elliot Scheiner)
  • G35 (Bose Studio on Wheels)
  • GS 350 (Mark Levinson)
I'll post the results once I get a chance to write it up. In brief, the G35 system did not acquit itself as well as I was hoping.
What about Logic 7 in the 3er.... any experience how that fits in the line up??

Old 11-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the amp actually has any level adjustment on the sub channel
on the amp itself?

Last edited by Railgunner; 11-18-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM
This really doesn't make sense, because in Edmunds' review they said the bass was "deep, sharp, and well controlled". Guess I need to go have a listen for myself. I don't care so much about breaking windows and disturbing neighbors with the rap music I don't listen to, as I do accurate, crystal clear sound reproduction. Sounds like it might be just the ticket for me.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned
I wasn't aware that speakers have break in periods as well. How long of a break in period would be typical for speaker and subs?
That can very greatly from vendor-to-vendor. In automotive applications where the environment is uncontrolled [Humid/dry/hot/cold] "breaking-in" speakers in this case may not yield any better performance. I would imagine that 10 Hrs would suffice as a break-in period for this and other OEM automotive systems, but this is only a guess - some may take longer depending on the speaker composition.

Last edited by RLampke; 11-08-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
That is by Harmon Kardon also [and it's very good]. Plus the ProLogic in the Volvo...

Last edited by RLampke; 11-08-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dentalstud
This really doesn't make sense, because in Edmunds' review they said the bass was "deep, sharp, and well controlled". Guess I need to go have a listen for myself. I don't care so much about breaking windows and disturbing neighbors with the rap music I don't listen to, as I do accurate, crystal clear sound reproduction. Sounds like it might be just the ticket for me.
Actually Edmunds gave the Panasonic/ELS and the Mark Levinson systems better reviews, but this is Edmunds talking so take that w/a grain of salt. Nevertheless, this is not about "Breaking windows" or anything like that [at least for me].

Again, if you’re really not into Hi-end systems, this will not bother you. But my point is, making statements like "...the best [OEM] system available at any price" should be put to the test. This is not about splitting-hairs either, this system is really a let-down IMO giving all the hype about it - I really expected a-lot more. Unfortunately all I’m getting out of this system is another case of Bose marketing over performance.

Last edited by RLampke; 11-08-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Railgunner
If all else fails, I'll might try disconnecting those woofers in the doors. I think that's where all the over powering mid range is coming from What's 2 less speakers? The systems got like 10 or something right?
Perhaps you can demonstrate this via PhotoShop

Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
The MB E350 system I tested was also called Logic7, so I perhaps they're similar. The two systems I wanted to test, but didn't have time for, are the BMW 3-series (Harman Kardon Logic7) and the Volvo S80 (Dynaudio).

Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to write up my reviews.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't know why anyone is surprised. There is not one, and I mean NOT ONE Bose system I have ever listened too that didn't belong in the garbage bin. I'm not sure what kind of people design their products, but they must be hearing impaired. I could install a better sounding system for $400 with some off the shelf components and loose caps/coils. Paying extra for this Bose trash is criminal and pure 500% profit for Infiniti. Be smart, forget the Bose and save your money for a powered sub like the excellent Infinity Basslink.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...01#post1282901

Old 11-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ballisticus
I don't know why anyone is surprised. There is not one, and I mean NOT ONE Bose system I have ever listened too that didn't belong in the garbage bin. I'm not sure what kind of people design their products, but they must be hearing impaired. I could install a better sounding system for $400 with some off the shelf components and loose caps/coils. Paying extra for this Bose trash is criminal and pure 500% profit for Infiniti. Be smart, forget the Bose and save your money for a powered sub like the excellent Infinity Basslink.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...01#post1282901
+1 - My mistake for having any hope that this would be a real system - past performances always dictates. Problem is that this is bundled w/other attractive goodies so one is stuck w/it; plus I lease so I'm not tearing the car apart.

Like I said I'm going to try a DSP/signal scrubber and see what happens - see if I can take some of the "BLOSE" out of the equation

Last edited by RLampke; 11-08-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM
This is what got me hyped up for the Studio on Wheels:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/071706infiniti/

I was hoping for something on par with the Mark Levinson system in my friends RX400h, which I've always been impressed with.

I am still excited about getting my G35, but it's disappointing to hear that the audio system might be lacking.

Hopefully, my experience will be different.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned
I own a RX350 w/Mark Levinson - no comparison at all. Actually that article does not really give all that much praise to the system - side-step the BS about the system description and focus in on his comments: "... I had no problems w/this system...", ect. Then read this mags review of the Mark Levinson system in the SC430 - quite different.

Yes I was hoping for something special also, but it's just hype unfortunately.

Last edited by RLampke; 11-08-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RLampke
That can very greatly from vendor-to-vendor. In automotive applications where the environment is uncontrolled [Humid/dry/hot/cold] "breaking-in" speakers in this case may not yield any better performance. I would imagine that 10 Hrs would suffice as a break-in period for this and other OEM automotive systems, but this is only a guess - some may take longer depending on the speaker composition.
Thanks for the info Rich.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:59 PM
I know I'm stepping in Sh*t again, but here goes

Don't worry about. Everyone's ears hear different things. Sound is as subjective as the exterior design of a car. I think it is a given that some people will dislike the sound of the Studio on Wheels, while others will simply love it.

That's a very good point.
Some folks like accurate frequency response, and for others, anything less than a +10dB bass boost doesn't feel right. There are no lack of young adults walking around that have hugely elevated thresholds, and who need smiley faced frequency responses to be able to perceive "flat" frequency response.

9 out of 10 times when I get into the rental car, the treble and bass are turned all the way up. This is still the case when I rent Jags and other lux. cars which DO have branded premium audio systems. That simply tells me the expectation/preference of many young people is not for accurate audio.

I've met plenty of self-anointed experts who couldn't tell me where the various string instruments are supposed to be in the sound stage of a standard orchestral recording. . Some of the cars that are held in high regard by some of you self-professed experts have sound stages that squishes most of the band to one corner of the car, or hugely boosted treble (for a false sense of clarity at low volume settings) or deeply scooped out lower midrange (for false sense of midbass cleaniness). My point is, the internet has made it possible for anyone to claim expertise in anything, and then support it via shear posting volume. But that's nonsense, because what this really is ... is just people expressing their personal preference for what is sometimes very inaccurate reproduction of audio. Yes, it absolutely means you should not take my preferences any more seriously than those of anyone else (like Rlampke, who is too afraid to even say who he really is ... surely the one hallmark of an expert).

As has been stated before (and pissed on by most of you guys), this system was tuned references consisting of: live music and stereo system that only the most tin-ear'd audiophiles would consider anything but reference class. It has been judged very successful in this goal by a range of top recording engineers, musicians, and high-end audio reviewers.

If you don't prefer that kind of sound, then clearly this is not the system for you. But, you can't say it is or isn't an accurate system until you have a valid reference to judge by (hear the band live, record them and mix a faithful stereo recording, use this as a reference).

John Feng

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Studio on Wheels - Sound Impressions