G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Music Box - Label Your Untitled Music via CF Card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music Box - Label Your Untitled Music via CF Card

I have been looking for the information on the website that was referenced in the owner's manual about how to update missing song titles from the internet via the CF card. Finally found it:
http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/

Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great find SammyWah, I have been looking all over for instructions for updating the gracenote database. Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Nice find!!!

We should probably throw all this useful info in a FAQ sticky.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadPixel
Nice find!!!

We should probably throw all this useful info in a FAQ sticky.
I second that. Now we need to find info on updating the Nav via compact flash.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Even better, is this a way to actually get MP3's from the compact flash onto the HD? What happens if you just put some MP3s onto a CF card and run that utility? Do they get copied? Or does it just update the title information for the track that has to already exist on the HD?

That would be sweet if this workaround was viable, because it is a major limitation in my opinion. Not being able to copy from CF to HD makes me not want to get the Nav.

Edit: On close reading, it looks like maybe the only thing transferred is a file named import.dat, so maybe the MP3's don't get copied back to the HD. Bummer, but someone ought to give it a try....

Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by mikepro
Even better, is this a way to actually get MP3's from the compact flash onto the HD? What happens if you just put some MP3s onto a CF card and run that utility? Do they get copied? Or does it just update the title information for the track that has to already exist on the HD?

That would be sweet if this workaround was viable, because it is a major limitation in my opinion. Not being able to copy from CF to HD makes me not want to get the Nav.

Edit: On close reading, it looks like maybe the only thing transferred is a file named import.dat, so maybe the MP3's don't get copied back to the HD. Bummer, but someone ought to give it a try....
Sounds like it only moves title information ...... it probably copies some metadata/hash signature about the missing mp3s and uses the Gracenote db to update it -- then the title info is saved back.

(that's why it uses the export.dat and import.dat files to move info)

No luck moving mp3s directly to the hdd -- stupid mistake by Inf

Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by mikepro
[B]That would be sweet if this workaround was viable, because it is a major limitation in my opinion. Not being able to copy from CF to HD makes me not want to get the Nav.
Given the excessive integration of the stereo into the Nav/screen/dashboard this limitation makes me not want to get the G35.. I have an in-dash mp3 player from 1999(empeg) that beats the pants off of this sad excuse for a mp3/wma/etc car stereo..

That's what really irritates me, not only did they completely homer simpson the stereo, they made it really hard to sensibly replace the stereo with an aftermarket option.

Now, if they have an interface for a portable mp3 player or other storage device(ok if I have to I will use a stupid iPod) then I might change my attitude, but I am not settling for RCA inputs. I want to see info on the screen and be able to control the music from the dash/steering wheel.

Any comments on the aftermarket stereo options with the G35?