G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start

Looking for opinions on putting an auto start. I know in order to have a remote start they will need to put a key fob in the car. By doing this wouldn't it be easier for the car to be stolen. I know that part of the alarm system would have some sort of ignition cutoff, so I guess my question is, is it just as good to have an ignition cutoff than the security that Infiniti has with not being able to start the car without the key fob.

I hope this make sense.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Well I've been lurking here for a little while and I guess I'll start here .

Long time member of Infinitifx.org, and I see a few familiar faces here. I am kinda the resident car audio/remote start/video install guru over there and have been looking at the G for a garage buddy for my FX45 in march when the lease is up on that and we add the G. But enough with the intro...

I have yet to have an 07 G in my shop to dig into, but it shoudlnt be a big deal. The biggest thing with smart key cars with push button start systems is the fact that once the car is running, there is no key cylinder you need to turn in order to take over the car. The FX (and murano, older G, maxima, etc) still have a key **** that has to be turned and we can keep that secure until a valid Intelligent key gets inside while remote started.

On early push start cars I have done (Lexus IS, Avalons, M35/45) we were able to bury the transponder part of the key only. You would remote start the car. Then when you open the door to get in, the car would shut down, and you would restart it and go. Yes a bit of a pain in the butt, but it was secure (nobody could just get in and drive away), and at least it was heated up/cooled down for your comfort.

We now have some interfaces that I have been testing that will omit that shutdown step by recognizing the user unlocking the doors, and then giving you a certain interval to get in and press the brake and go without killing the car. Since you are unlocking it with the I-key, you are a valid driver and it lets you go.

With that long winded explanation I am awaiting technical info from my suppliers on this car. I am also trying to get a peek at the service manual to do some studying. This will be put into my G the day I get it so I hope to get some done before then. So I guess If I find more info or do one, I will share with you guys.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by johnmax
Well I've been lurking here for a little while and I guess I'll start here .

Long time member of Infinitifx.org, and I see a few familiar faces here. I am kinda the resident car audio/remote start/video install guru over there and have been looking at the G for a garage buddy for my FX45 in march when the lease is up on that and we add the G. But enough with the intro...

I have yet to have an 07 G in my shop to dig into, but it shoudlnt be a big deal. The biggest thing with smart key cars with push button start systems is the fact that once the car is running, there is no key cylinder you need to turn in order to take over the car. The FX (and murano, older G, maxima, etc) still have a key **** that has to be turned and we can keep that secure until a valid Intelligent key gets inside while remote started.

On early push start cars I have done (Lexus IS, Avalons, M35/45) we were able to bury the transponder part of the key only. You would remote start the car. Then when you open the door to get in, the car would shut down, and you would restart it and go. Yes a bit of a pain in the butt, but it was secure (nobody could just get in and drive away), and at least it was heated up/cooled down for your comfort.

We now have some interfaces that I have been testing that will omit that shutdown step by recognizing the user unlocking the doors, and then giving you a certain interval to get in and press the brake and go without killing the car. Since you are unlocking it with the I-key, you are a valid driver and it lets you go.

With that long winded explanation I am awaiting technical info from my suppliers on this car. I am also trying to get a peek at the service manual to do some studying. This will be put into my G the day I get it so I hope to get some done before then. So I guess If I find more info or do one, I will share with you guys.
I'm a little confused. When installing the transponder for the remote start, is the car programed that when the car is started remotely and the door is opened that is should shutoff when that transponder is being used? I'm guessing each transponder has it's own frequency (signal) but which part of the car differentiates each transponder.

If I was a thief and this car was running and I get into the car and the car turns off what prevents it from starting again when he pressed the start engine button since there's a transponder in the car?

Old 11-26-2006, 10:08 AM
The transponder key that you "donate" to the remote starter only energizes when the remote start sequence is initiated. Thus if a thief were to open the door, it shuts down, and it won't be able to be restarted, as the donated transponder will not be energized.

Last edited by johnmax; 11-26-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by johnmax
The transponder key that you "donate" to the remote starter only energizes when the remote start sequence is initiated. Thus if a thief were to open the door, it shuts down, and it won't be able to be restarted, as the donated transponder will not be energized.

Thanks JohnMax.

I was under the impression that these transponders continuously give off a signal.