G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

What BS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam Mitani is a Honda fanatic. But puting the TL first would reveal his bias.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by fuzzy_logic
Sam Mitani is a Honda fanatic. But puting the TL first would reveal his bias.
I bet he'd pick one of these cars over the 335i sedan if given the chance.....
I'd argue that he's right about the Lexus. The overall package is hard to argue with. It just doesn't have enough character and no manual.

The 0-60 times don't mean much to me. 5 seconds or 5.5 seconds, honestly.
Again, if you want speed, get the Z06 and then you win.

I gotta say, the TL still looks good. (rare for a Japanese car after a few years)
However, the FWD platform and the torque-steer that comes with putting that much power through the fronts would eliminate it as an option for many of us. The interior is still beautiful as well.

Take it for what it is. If you like me like how the G drives, then you go that direction. If you want to be coddled, buy the Lexus. If you want the best mixture and don't mind driving a 3-series, get the 335i.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Wow, got the R&T in the mail today and I have poured over the #s and have a couple of thoughts...
Test conditions between the previous review (pdf posted earlier in this thread) are virtually identical, as are the test weights of the lexus and G.

The one factor that was different from this previous Lexus IS test was the new '07 IS has the option to disable VDIM. I'm not a Lexus expert so I don't know how this would effect the straight line acceleration, but this could explain some of the difference.

I am particularly sensitive to the recent comments about the on/off nature of the G's clutch engagement since I have an '07 sedan 6mt on order. My dealer has not received a single manual tranny car to test so I have yet to even drive one. Maybe the testers had problems learning how to launch the G properly?

Bottom line is if 7lb/ft of torque in the Lexus is the deciding factor for you to buy one, then so be it. Particularly when you factor in that a similarly equipped IS will set you back a few thousands more for those 7lb/ft!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
When they use the word "hella" in the video, it invalidates any of their opinions. Performance wise, the G35 is better than the IS and even more so than the TL. Probably the worst reasons I've ever heard to place a certain car last.
"[IS350:] It's roomier, hella good looking..."

I had to go back and listen to the video again. I can't believe they would even consider using that word -- and not as a quote from someone's verbal comments. I'm from San Francisco, where I believe the word was born (I could be wrong). Even I was appalled but such a LAME and biased review.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GERDoc
Wow, got the R&T in the mail today and I have poured over the #s and have a couple of thoughts...
Can you post the 0-60, 1/4 mile time and trap speed for all 3 cars please?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Can you post the 0-60, 1/4 mile time and trap speed for all 3 cars please?
Acura TL Type-S:
5.7s, 14.3s @ 99.9mph

Infiniti G35 Sport 6mt:
5.4s, 13.9s @ 101.8mph

Lexus IS 350:
4.9s, 13.5s @ 103.1mph

The earlier R&T test of the IS showed 0 to 60 in 6.0s, 1/4mi at 14.5 @ 98.6mph... a difference of 1.1s.

One other thought... nearly every other magazine review I have read absolutely praises the G as the first true Japanese BMW competitor. If Road and Track took the same line it wouldn't be controversial and wouldn't sell as many magazines... just a thought.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting the times GERDoc. I really appreciate it. 13.9 @ 102 mph is pretty decent for the G35, though I would expect it to be somewhat better w/ a 6 speed manual. 13.5 @ 103 mph is utterly fantastic for the lexus. I think traction was clearly an issue in the test as the very close trap speeds btw the G35 and IS confirms they are making similar power. They probably had a harder time launching the manual G35 which led to the 1/2 sec slower 0-60. By the 1/4 mile, the G is getting closer. Those times for the TL are downright disappointing. I thought manual non Type S TLs were already posting high 5s 0-60 and low 14s qtr mile times.

That said, I still don't know why people get into such a tizzy over these magazine tests. The 07 G35 was a MT COTY finalist, Automobile magazine and Car and Driver top 10 and it had a fantastic review in Car and Driver.

Must the G35 be the absolute best in every single review? I think the fact that car magazines no longer have a unanimously favored car is a good thing. This means the intense competition has driven all mfgs to design better cars and there is no longer any bad choices to be made btw these competitors.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL= made in Ohio rattlebox, often with terrible exterior panel fitment. If you think G's have rattles, try a TL. Take a look at the Acura boards. The dash of the Lexus looks cheap- the center console is the same plastic that the G used to get bashed on. The R&T article said the G was too middle of the road- they penalized the car that had the best combination of permformance and luxury.

Last edited by gspotter; 12-29-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
That said, I still don't know why people get into such a tizzy over these magazine tests. The 07 G35 was a MT COTY finalist, Automobile magazine and Car and Driver top 10 and it had a fantastic review in Car and Driver.

Must the G35 be the absolute best in every single review? I think the fact that car magazines no longer have a unanimously favored car is a good thing. This means the intense competition has driven all mfgs to design better cars and there is no longer any bad choices to be made btw these competitors.
Yeah, I totally agree. I think in my case I get a little defensive since I've been waiting for over 2 months for my new G. My wife actually asked me if I wanted to buy a Lexus instead. I could confidently say no since I drove the TL and IS and know they are not exactly what I am looking for. That said, they each have many strong points and I could see why there would be so much subjective opinion from one car to the next.

I think it is sort of surprising the sheer # of great write-ups the G has garnered... and I can't get over how great it looks either. That's the icing on the cake!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Most of modern luxiry cars perform the same these days, especialy if you talk about japanese cars. All similar in design and have a lot in common, it's just a matter of preference of what you need. Quiet cabin go Lexus, looks and dont care about FWD go TL, performance and fun G35 plain and simple so enjoy your cars and ignore that noncence talk about I've got bigger dick.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Waxer
Acura TL Type-S:
5.7s, 14.3s @ 99.9mph

Infiniti G35 Sport 6mt:
5.4s, 13.9s @ 101.8mph

Lexus IS 350:
4.9s, 13.5s @ 103.1mph

The earlier R&T test of the IS showed 0 to 60 in 6.0s, 1/4mi at 14.5 @ 98.6mph... a difference of 1.1s.

One other thought... nearly every other magazine review I have read absolutely praises the G as the first true Japanese BMW competitor. If Road and Track took the same line it wouldn't be controversial and wouldn't sell as many magazines... just a thought.
Remember tires can play a big factor here as well.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I laughed at the editor's comment that the Lexus "V-6 comes to life with a ferocious growl". Sure didn't notice that "growl" when I drove the IS 350 - very quiet. Maybe this one had a modified exhaust...
On the other hand, the G35 was quieter than the Lexus at 70 MPH by 3db - a meaningful difference.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:52 AM
While assessing what car I should get, I test drove all three cars within the past 2 weeks. I was actually very disappointed with the Lexus. It has a lot less interior room. It felt really cramped inside. I only drove it for 30 minutes or so and it was not a comfortable ride. I can't imagine taking it on a long, extended trip. The Acura was a nice, comfortable car and had nice handling, but its performance was not as good as the Infiniti. Also, I really liked the fact that the Infiniti G35x is an AWD, something I wanted since I live in the snowbelt. As far as the review goes, everyone has their own opinion. 3 magazines recently all had the G35 in their top ten cars list.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Test conditions between the previous review (pdf posted earlier in this thread) are virtually identical, as are the test weights of the lexus and G.

The one factor that was different from this previous Lexus IS test was the new '07 IS has the option to disable VDIM. I'm not a Lexus expert so I don't know how this would effect the straight line acceleration, but this could explain some of the difference.

I am particularly sensitive to the recent comments about the on/off nature of the G's clutch engagement since I have an '07 sedan 6mt on order. My dealer has not received a single manual tranny car to test so I have yet to even drive one. Maybe the testers had problems learning how to launch the G properly?

Bottom line is if 7lb/ft of torque in the Lexus is the deciding factor for you to buy one, then so be it. Particularly when you factor in that a similarly equipped IS will set you back a few thousands more for those 7lb/ft!
Hi there GERDoc! Yea I ordered a 07 G35 6MT car also, and reading all the review's baout the 6Spd car being "Jerky" and a "Touchy Clutch". So I called my Internet manager that I am working With, and asked to Test Drive a 6Spd G! And One Finally Came in, and I can tell you, that if you are used to Drivng a Stick Car, you will Get used to the G's Clutch! I dorve it, and Died on the first try, LOL, but after feeling where the Clutch Pick up point was, and the Gas pedal's feel, a little stiff, but nothing major, I can tell you the Shifting was nice and smooth, and i could get smooth starts off the Line, No jerking! SO if you are used to driving a Stick car, you Won't regret it! I myslef drive Stick cars most of the time, and I have a 90 GT Stang 5spd, and this new G is so smooth! Hope thios helps your Mind at ease till your car comes in! Can't wait for mine too! supposed to be coming in Jan 07!

Old 12-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Hi there GERDoc! Yea I ordered a 07 G35 6MT car also, and reading all the review's baout the 6Spd car being "Jerky" and a "Touchy Clutch". So I called my Internet manager that I am working With, and asked to Test Drive a 6Spd G! And One Finally Came in, and I can tell you, that if you are used to Drivng a Stick Car, you will Get used to the G's Clutch! I dorve it, and Died on the first try, LOL, but after feeling where the Clutch Pick up point was, and the Gas pedal's feel, a little stiff, but nothing major, I can tell you the Shifting was nice and smooth, and i could get smooth starts off the Line, No jerking! SO if you are used to driving a Stick car, you Won't regret it! I myslef drive Stick cars most of the time, and I have a 90 GT Stang 5spd, and this new G is so smooth! Hope thios helps your Mind at ease till your car comes in! Can't wait for mine too! supposed to be coming in Jan 07!
Thanks for the info on the clutch feel Mike. I can't wait to drive a stick again... my town is med size and no real big rush hour issues. It's times like now when I thank my Dad for making me learn to drive on a '78 Volvo 4spd. Talk about a stiff clutch! But the good news is that since learning that way, I can get into any car either manual or auto and go... which was my Dad's point all along. I'm still gonna be jealous of you driving your 6mt through the hills on the islands... me? I'll be cruising the lovely Kansas flatlands (not scenic in the slightest). Thanks again man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.