G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Clean off your F*#&$^ ROOF after a storm!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
HAHAHA... in some place the police can actually ticket you for that. I forget what they call it but I know you can be cited for it.
That's what I was told, too, but no one in our area seems to care. They still drive around like idiots w/ tons of snow on their cars. I've noticed, here anyway, that the cars that are usually cleared-off half-a$$ed are jalopies (sp?). It's almost kinda funny because a lot of them don't usually have snow tires and you see them sliding all over the freakin place.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
OK, sorry, please allow a minor vent this morning. Got a couple inches of snow and ice last night so of course this morning on the way to work had to deal with the crowd of idiot morons who only clear their window and rear window. This is the good crusty ice on top of two inches of snow. If you take five extra minutes to let your car warm up this stuff just pushes off your car in big chunks - very easy to deal with. Because HELLO JERKOFFS after 15 minutes of your car warming up ON THE ROAD this crap flies all over the road in massive sheets, just waiting to rain down on someones windshield or roof....
Ha i got smacked by a few sheets this morning on the dulles toll road, amen to this.....

Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
in ontario you can be fined for it. it doesnt only happen when youre following too close to someone, if youre on the highway those sheets of ice are like a kite and can hit you 3-4 cars(not carlengths) behind someone and take you out.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Waxer
How would you like to be behind this guy.

Attached Thumbnails Clean off your F*#&$^ ROOF after a storm!-snowbuildup.jpg  
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
LOL, that car is only 3 feet high, but is 10 feet high with the snow. I'd definitely hate to drive behind that guy. It would be like driving in a blizzard until all the snow blew off.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
A couple weeks back we got about 2" to 3" sleet/ice in Kansas City. A few days later when temps rose and the ice began to thaw, ice was flying off cars and semis all over the place. I'm on a Kansas City car website and numerous people were reporting ice actually completely shattering their windshield. We're talking about 2" to 4", 10lb to 20lb chunks and sheets of ice flying off a car at 55+ mph and hitting it at even a higher rate of speed. It's a wonder no one had been killed. There were also a lot of reports of mangled front bumpers and radiators.

I strongly feel that there should be laws forcing owners to clean off significant accumulations of ice from thier car prior to driving.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by samualcc
I live in the Philadelphia area and used to commute out of Philadelphia to King of Prussia. There are so many idiots that come out of Philly with a foot of show on the roof. Well one morning justice was handed down as police officers setup a trap on I 76 and pulled over dozens of motorists and made them clean off thier cars on the side of the road and then shovel it off the shoulder!! It was beautiful! Best commute ever on that damn road.
I love the PA police, every season they must goto their wheel of citations and pick what they want to bust people for. My favorite is when they start cracking down on people cruising in the passing lane. Nothing pisses me off more when I have pass on the right.

But now i live in Mass and have to deal with the M@ssholes everyday. On my 1 mile drive to work I try to **** off as many people as possible by asserting my athority of right-of-way which these people have NO CONCEPT OF. And when I walk to work, thats even more fun because I'm like a freeking turtle when I cross the street!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
A couple weeks back we got about 2" to 3" sleet/ice in Kansas City. A few days later when temps rose and the ice began to thaw, ice was flying off cars and semis all over the place. I'm on a Kansas City car website and numerous people were reporting ice actually completely shattering their windshield. We're talking about 2" to 4", 10lb to 20lb chunks and sheets of ice flying off a car at 55+ mph and hitting it at even a higher rate of speed. It's a wonder no one had been killed. There were also a lot of reports of mangled front bumpers and radiators.

I strongly feel that there should be laws forcing owners to clean off significant accumulations of ice from thier car prior to driving.
In Canada there aren't specific laws to clean snow off your car. However, something like ice that comes off another car and causes damage or an accident is an offense. there are also laws instructing clear visibility of course so all windows have to be snow and ice free.

Here is an article written by a lawyer on the subject:

January 29, 2007

Steering you right: Superheroes on the roof

By Jordan W. Charness

"I've got another driving story for you...if you've got the time," were the first words out of Peter's mouth when I saw him last week. As regular readers know, Peter's stories often make for an interesting column and I will usually make the time to hear him out. The problem is you never know what he's going to say.

"Did you see the new Daredevil movie a few years ago?" He wanted to know. How this was going to relate to driving was beyond me but I still answered in the affirmative. In fact I actually enjoyed that movie as both Peter and I have long been fans of comic book superheroes. Peter then launched into a lengthy debate with himself as to the relative merits of Daredevil vs. Spiderman and which one was the better superhero as well as their similarities and differences. Fascinating as this might have been, I had a lot of work to do and we hadn't really arrived at anything remotely useful for this column.

His next line however, was a bit of a bombshell! "Anyhow, when me and the kids were driving up north last week we were sure that Daredevil had dropped onto the roof of our car while we were driving on the 15 north." I have to admit that got my attention.

"Was this part of a publicity stunt?" I wanted to know. "Please tell me exactly what happened," I begged. So he did.

The Sunday in question was a bright, beautiful sun-filled day. The temperature hovered around minus 7 degrees Celsius and it seemed like a great day to take the kids tubing. While driving on the highway Peter and his family heard a sound that was very similar to the sound a superhero might make when landing on the roof of your car.

The highway was perfectly clear and Peter looked around him to be sure that he hadn't hit anything. The noise continued and it very much sounded like someone was hanging on to the roof of their SUV. Since the family had just seen the Daredevil movie the night before, their imagination, fuelled by the youngest one's exclamation that "Daredevil must have landed on our roof!" did make Peter, however momentarily, think that indeed was just what had happened.

Peter looked out his back window and saw what looked like white softballs being thrown off the roof onto the road behind him. He immediately signalled that he wanted to pull over and carefully drove onto the shoulder. By this time, he was pretty certain that superheros do not drop onto cars in Canada. But nonetheless, it was with a bit of trepidation that he opened his car door to see what had happened. He looked on the roof and saw...nothing.

Well, it was not exactly nothing - it was more like 'no one'. What he did see on top of his roof was a four-inch thick sheet of ice with pieces missing out of it. Since Peter drives an SUV that has a fairly tall roof, he rarely cleans the snow off the roof itself.

It had not snowed in several days and the hood of Peter's car was completely snow free. The roof however had snow that must have mixed with water and compacted into a thick slab of ice. The sound that Peter heard while driving was the sound of chunks of ice breaking free from his roof. The remaining slab of ice was grinding against itself while he drove, making the continuous sounds of a superhero on his roof.

Peter pushed the rest of the ice off his roof and noticed that the slab itself probably weighed well over 100 kilos. Even the small softball size chunks probably weighed three or four kilos. These were the pieces of ice that had been whipping off the roof of his car at 110 kilometres per hour! If any of these pieces had hit another car it would have caused a heck of a lot of damage if not an accident.

According to law you are responsible for damage caused by items that leave your car while it is in motion. This would include anything that you are irresponsible enough to throw out your window or anything that is not properly attached to the body of your car. This would include spare tires, roof racks (and items placed on the roof rack), mudguards and mirrors.

Fortunately there was no accident in this particular case. But if there had been one causing injury, in addition to a highway safety code infraction, Peter could conceivably have been charged with criminal negligence. This criminal code offence carries with it a criminal record and a jail term.

While Peter certainly had no intention of causing any accident when he neglected to clean the snow off the roof of his SUV, the results of his negligence could have been tragic. This is just one more important thing to think about if you are the owner of an SUV or minivan and leave it parked outside during our wonderful winters.

This article is of a general nature and may not be applicable in all situations and jurisdictions. If you have a legal problem or need legal advice please consult a lawyer.

To order Jordan W. Charness' new book, "Steering You Right - Greatest Stories", click here. For a limited time, Jordan will personalize and autograph your copy.

Jordan W. Charness, DSC, B.A., L.L.L, is a partner in Charness, Charness and Charness, a family law firm in Montreal that has specialized in giving personalized service to its clients since 1925. Jordan is also a car nut. His current ride is a fully restored Silver Anniversary Corvette, and he is a member of the Corvette Owner's Club. His web sites are www.jordanwcharness.com and www.charness3law.com e-mail Jordan@JordanCharness.com

Old 02-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Domiken
Im glad I live in FL... 80F today
Glad I live in CA. 90 today. Gonna give the new G a nice bath this weekend

Old 02-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off topic - What about those drivers in front of you who squirts windshield washers on their car while driving on a highway? Don't you just hate it when you get some of those sprayed on your clean windshield.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by UFGatorG35
Recognize this guy?

the extra weight of the snow aids in traction don't you guys know this

Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 PM
anyone hear WTOP tonight?

for you dc metro folks, WTOP traffic w/ Bob Marburg mentioned a traffic accident where a sheet of ice flew off someone's roof on the Dulles Toll Road and split a person's windshield and knocked off a side view mirror.

come on folks, clean the ice off your roof.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Funny this thread was brought up. On my ducati forum theres quite a few brave souls who ride through the winter. Its much scarier for them considering most snow on roof's has a base of ice. Once those chunks fall on the road they just stay there and are a bit harder to avoid. Cars can easily run over them but its frightening on a bike when you already have to watch out for idiot drivers.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
In Canada there aren't specific laws to clean snow off your car. However, something like ice that comes off another car and causes damage or an accident is an offense. there are also laws instructing clear visibility of course so all windows have to be snow and ice free.

Here is an article written by a lawyer on the subject:
During our last storm they mentioned on the radio that the police were ticketing people for obstructed windows *and* for debris (snow/ice) falling off their car. Good on 'em, I say.

Originally Posted by MY07G35SPN
Off topic - What about those drivers in front of you who squirts windshield washers on their car while driving on a highway? Don't you just hate it when you get some of those sprayed on your clean windshield.
I don't like that either, but sometimes it's necessary. I had to do it just last night. I was trying to hold off but my windshield was so gunked up I had no choice. What I really wish is that car makers took the time to make sure the sprayers hit your windshield, and didn't spray 10 feet over your own car.

Last edited by Picus; 02-17-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
What I really wish is that car makers took the time to make sure the sprayers hit your windshield, and didn't spray 10 feet over your own car.
Those are usually very easy to adjust - all you need is a straight pin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clean off your F*#&$^ ROOF after a storm!