G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Aux. Input Question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux. Input Question.

Hello All,

In the coming days I am picking up my new '07 Sedan (premium, Nav, Tech), I am going to miss my '05 Coupe, but I have fallen in love with this new sedan. I am curious if anyone has hooked up an auxilary input adapter on the new sedan? My '05 is not a nav car, so I am not sure if the same PAC-Audio adapter will work? I am trying to hook up my mp3 player of course, which is not an iPod.

On the same topic, how much success have you had using the built in digital jukebox memory thing? I haven't done too much research into it. I use Napster, so I can only transer my files to Napster compatible devices, and therefore need to have my Creative Zen mp3 player hooked up everywhere.

Thanks for the input!!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:16 PM
This is correct. RCA jacks in the center armrest console. I am still trying to find a cord to connect my player with (Zen Micro Vision M).

On a side note, I've noticed there is just enough room in the console for the player, and a cord. There is also an electrical port/cigarette lighter in the console, but you might find it hard to get all 3 items in there.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately not. I picked up an ipod cable from Best Buy and tried but it didn't work. Apparently I need a "propietary" adapter made especially by Creative (Zen's mfg). Try that on Monday.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by CFar
Unfortunately not. I picked up an ipod cable from Best Buy and tried but it didn't work. Apparently I need a "propietary" adapter made especially by Creative (Zen's mfg). Try that on Monday.
I tried a zune cable as well and discovered that the proprietary cable is needed for video(the audio worked fine)

The cable from creative requires that you also attach the charging/syncing "dongle" to the vision:m, then the cable plugs into that but I found another cable that plugs directly in and costs less as well:

http://pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10504338

It works great -the only thing is that when it's plugged into the zen player, video output is re-routed to the external screen (in this case the nav screen) and the players screen is turned off. So unless you're stopped with the parking brake on, you can't see what's playing.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:42 PM
A bit off topic, but has anyone tried to tap into the Aux inputs and feed them to the trunk. That way you can add more video devices in the trunk?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by chrisbel
I tried a zune cable as well and discovered that the proprietary cable is needed for video(the audio worked fine)

The cable from creative requires that you also attach the charging/syncing "dongle" to the vision:m, then the cable plugs into that but I found another cable that plugs directly in and costs less as well:

http://pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10504338

It works great -the only thing is that when it's plugged into the zen player, video output is re-routed to the external screen (in this case the nav screen) and the players screen is turned off. So unless you're stopped with the parking brake on, you can't see what's playing.
So I assume you have a Zen Micro Vision M? The connection for the player looks different, as if it takes up the entire port on the player. Where as the Micros "dongle" takes up the entire port and then a hole on it for their own cord. If it works for you, I might have to get one to see how it works out.

On a side note, I was flipping through the settings in the player and you can turn the video feed off so it wont export the image to the car, but it should keep it on the screen for the Micro.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by CFar
So I assume you have a Zen Micro Vision M? The connection for the player looks different, as if it takes up the entire port on the player. Where as the Micros "dongle" takes up the entire port and then a hole on it for their own cord. If it works for you, I might have to get one to see how it works out.

On a side note, I was flipping through the settings in the player and you can turn the video feed off so it wont export the image to the car, but it should keep it on the screen for the Micro.
I do have the Vision:m - the cable that I got from pcmicro takes up the whole port just like the dongle. The only problem may be if you want to charge it in the car - I think you need the dongle to do that as well. Ijust charge mine at home when needed.

thanks for the info on turning the video feed off - that makes life a lot easier...

Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Hope it works for you.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I also have a zen vision M (and hopefully my G gets here Feb 7) and you don't need a proprietary cable.

You have two ways of connecting the mp3 player to the RCA inputs. You can use the audio/video cable you mentioned that connects to the sync cable but you lose the screen on the zen.

You can also use any generic 1/4 inch headphone jack to RCA stereo male cable and plug that in to the car's RCA inputs. You'll get audio to the car stereo and you'll still be able to see the info on the zen screen.

You can pick up the cable at any electronic store.

Last edited by gilman; 01-28-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Awesome- I did not realize that it already had the RCA inputs in the console, thats GREAT news. You can just get a speaker level to RCA cord from Radio shack and send the audio out the headphone jack on the mp3 player to the RCA inputs. This is very exciting news!! I cannot wait to get my car!!!

Thanks Everyone!

Whats the talk about being able to send the video to the nav unit? I am going to re-read and see if I can make sense of it..

Old 01-28-2007, 02:58 PM
OK- so with this cable from pcmicro I can send the video feed to the Nav unit, but in doing so the video cannot be seen on the Zen screen?? OR- you can set the Zen to not send the video image to the external source and it would then still show up on the micro?

so, using the pcmicro cable the display from the Zen is sent to the Nav unit even if your listening to mp3s?

sorry, for all the questions, just too excited to wait and see how it all works when I finally get the car! haha

Old 01-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by hokiesean24
OK- so with this cable from pcmicro I can send the video feed to the Nav unit, but in doing so the video cannot be seen on the Zen screen?? OR- you can set the Zen to not send the video image to the external source and it would then still show up on the micro?

so, using the pcmicro cable the display from the Zen is sent to the Nav unit even if your listening to mp3s?

sorry, for all the questions, just too excited to wait and see how it all works when I finally get the car! haha
That's right - if you hook up the pcmicro cable then everything you would typically see on the zen screen is sent to the nav screen (unless you use the vision:m setting to turn off video out). This is the case whether you are listening to music, viewing photos or viewing videos.

But, the nav screen will only display the zen video (or any other aux video source) if the car is in park andthe parking brake is set.

Since I typically just play music, I have the video out setting turned off on the zen and will turn it back on on the rare occasions that I want to view pictures or videos on the navscreen.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 PM
OK, so, if I am driving and playing music through my Zen the song info will not show on the Nav unit? Or does it distinguish between just the song info and video?

And if it doesnt show the song info, what does it show? Just what the audio source is?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I ordered the cable, so I will def be figuring it all out! =)

Old 01-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by hokiesean24
OK, so, if I am driving and playing music through my Zen the song info will not show on the Nav unit? Or does it distinguish between just the song info and video?

And if it doesnt show the song info, what does it show? Just what the audio source is?
That's right - If you are driving, it's basically a blank grey screen just showing that it's set to the aux input. That's why I have the video out turned off (so I can look at the zen screen to seewhat's playing) unless I'm going to stop and watch a video file. Obviously if you switch to map display or any of the other screen options, they display as normal.

It doesn't differentiate between different types of video input (photos, movies, song titles) it won't display anything that's coming through the aux video port unless you're stopped and have the parking brake on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aux. Input Question.