G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

My biggest wish - A stripped down G Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 03:49 AM
jnmunsey-

I do think there is a distinct lack of simple, practical, performance-oriented, RWD vehicles with manual transmissions on the market today. That said, though, the G35 is still on my list because it does hit most of the above criteria, and is an excellent value for the money.

So, for what it's worth, I hear you. and my suggestion is, if you haven't done so already, to check out a 2006 G35 6MT sedan. I have driven both, and thought that the 2006 provided a more visceral experience than the 2007.

Now, that's not to say there's anything deficient in the performance of the 2007, because there isn't. But it's just as clear that Infiniti went to great lengths to produce a more refined driving experience in the new model, which is in relatively stark contrast to the edgier outgoing generation.

I also still sometimes kick myself for not picking up a stripped 2006 6MT sedan when I had the chance.....

Old 02-05-2007 | 05:53 AM
hahaha how would removing ONE cupholder reduce weight?? If anything it'll increase it cuz then u'd have to fill the empty space where the cup would go with something else I sincerely think that you'd lower the weight of your car more if u skipped breakfast.

Old 02-05-2007 | 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by jnmunsey
I hate the TV screen in the middle of the dash! The Nav and all that other driver distracting equipment isn't the problem. It is the screen, and sadly even without the Nav you still get stuck with this hokey looking screen. If it isn't already, I really think in 5 years that will be pretty passée.
dude...I'll GLADLY take that screen off of your hands... one more person like you and I'd have two free rear headrest tvs.

Old 02-05-2007 | 02:44 PM
If you want a basic sports sedan, get an 05 or 06 Altima SE-R. there sporty, not bluetooth or nav screen. It has the 350Z gauges, the 18" rims with summer tires, the two tone leather interior with side bolsters, and a Bose sound system. It also has the 350Z dual exhaust, and 260hp, with a manual, so it's pretty light compared to the G35.

I can get some pics of ours if anyone wants to see.

Old 02-05-2007 | 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian144
If you want a basic sports sedan, get an 05 or 06 Altima SE-R. there sporty, not bluetooth or nav screen. It has the 350Z gauges, the 18" rims with summer tires, the two tone leather interior with side bolsters, and a Bose sound system. It also has the 350Z dual exhaust, and 260hp, with a manual, so it's pretty light compared to the G35.

They have an altima SE-R now? Is it better looking than the Sentra SE-R?

EDIT: Oh, I guess they have had one, it does look pretty nice.

Originally Posted by junmusey
I now drive a 1998 Maxima. It has more or less the same dimensions as the new G35, with a shorter wheel base. The Maxima is actually 2 inches longer, 1.5 inches lower, the same width, and 500 pounds lighter. It is FWD sadly though.
Don't FWD cars weigh less than RWD cars because of the driveline and related components? Sorry if I am wrong.

Last edited by xboxstrwrs55; 02-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:54 PM

the altima dual exhaust is not the same exhaust off the 350z.

i had an altima that ran high 13's modded... but again fwd vs rwd -- i'll never go back!

Old 02-05-2007 | 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by da mayor
the altima dual exhaust is not the same exhaust off the 350z.

i had an altima that ran high 13's modded... but again fwd vs rwd -- i'll never go back!

yeah, it is the one off the 350Z. We have one, it sounds exactly like the exhaust on it and like the exhaust on the G35 coupe. and FWD isn't that bad.. the car definitely performs really great.

heres a picture of the exhaust

and here's what it looks like on the bumper...

and it sounds great

sorry about bad quality pics, my camera was a $25 canadian digital one, 1.5 mp lol.

Old 02-05-2007 | 03:36 PM
sound doesn't do it... have you looked under the car? just like my g35 sedan and the G35 coupe have diffferent exhausts. trust me i'm an altima expert

Old 02-05-2007 | 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by da mayor
sound doesn't do it... have you looked under the car? just like my g35 sedan and the G35 coupe have diffferent exhausts. trust me i'm an altima expert
alright... but it sounds similar. and it adds 10hp.

Old 02-05-2007 | 08:44 PM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
I now drive a 1998 Maxima. It has more or less the same dimensions as the new G35, with a shorter wheel base. The Maxima is actually 2 inches longer, 1.5 inches lower, the same width, and 500 pounds lighter. It is FWD sadly though.

In any case when I drive the new G35 I think it is fast and handles well, but it feels heavy. It doesn't feel as nimble as my Maxima.
Dude, I owned that car (had a 4th gen Max prior to my 5th gen), and I can assure you that feel notwithstanding, the Max isn't more nimble than the G. It is, however, slower and FWD...

Don't get me wrong, the Max is a great car. I think the problem is that on the G, you're in the minority for features required by people who spend $37k on a car. I personally wouldn't have spent that much money without the luxe stuff (would've bought the Evo... )

Old 02-05-2007 | 11:07 PM
so, have you decided on anything yet? If you don't mind FWD, then get the Altima SE-R (either 05, 06, or wait until the new one comes out). It still gets GREAT performance, FWD doesn't affect it at all.

Old 02-06-2007 | 08:39 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Staff Alumni
This is how I'd like my future g35 to be:

Manual Tranny
lower weight
No Navigation - plain DIN sized stereo
Basic climate control
No sunroof.
No cup holders (ok maybe one for the passenger)
No bluetooth, trip computer, etc.
Really light seats
lower weight

Basically I'd like a performance version without the engine or suspension being modified. All they need to do is lower the weight. Take out all that luxury stuff. I wonder how much weight they could save by just cutting out a lot of that luxo crap.

I just want a car that I can drive, enjoy driving, without all the fluff. I suppose a big man's Lotus Elise, but not so flashy.

The above would be really nice, and seriously the whole Nav system and video screen is one of the biggest turn offs for me.

And I kinda believe a lot of the 6MT buyers out there would appreciate and want something like the above.
I'm 90% sure there is just that car in IP at Crown Infiniti in B'ham. 205-985-4200 ask for Tad tell him Cheryl Hutcheson told you to call him. They've had a while so I'm sure they want to sell it. LOL

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:42 PM
|
so, have you decided on anything yet? If you don't mind FWD, then get the Altima SE-R (either 05, 06, or wait until the new one comes out). It still gets GREAT performance, FWD doesn't affect it at all.
I am not in a rush, and the 1st gen G35 has crossed my mind. The Altima has as well, but the FWD might be a concern. The Altima really isn't any lighter than the G35 anyway. I really need to take each of these cars to a small track and decide.

I also need to buy a house but can't make up my mind where to live as I can live just about anywhere with my career. After my house I want to get my daily driver(maybe the G35) and then a sports car. Ok a an old beater truck to.. I looked at the Corvette Z06 earlier this year but can't get one until I get my house with a garage, but still rumors are flying that there will be a blown Z06 with 600+ hp. Insane for the road but I might still want one as I will try to do some track driving/racing in the future..

The Skyline was one my wish list but unless something changes it may end up being an everage performer power wise relatively speaking. I guess the new 600hp viper is an option to the vette above as well.

Sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers I like the G35 but I am not about flash, neither in a WRX nor a luxo sedan kind of way. If the Dodge
Charger with the 425HP Hemi had a manual tranny I'd prolly be all over it, though it ain't light either.