to Nav or not to Nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/faq.xmc
Details on how it works...
There are also icons that show accidents in addition to 4 traffic speed colors (Red/Yellow/Green & Purple=urskrewd).
I don't see an option for auto-reroute... but if you know the freeways, you can use the info to take another way - or just get off and let the system re-ruote you.
I was just digging through the nav manual and it says " When a serious traffic event occurs on the route or if the system finds a faster route, a detour alert will pop up automatically"(pg 5-12)

It goes on to say that you can manually have it look for a detour.

Has anyone had the alert pop-up?

I was also trying to get it to display exit info on the turn list as is described in the manual (pg5-21) with no luck. The images in that section seem to show the turn list displaying the exits you will pass with icons for what services are available at them, but I couldn't get any of that to show. I was sitting in the driveway, maybe I have to be moving on the route?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Get the Nav. It's well worth the 2k investment. I've saved countless hours on the freeways by having it reroute my directions according to traffic conditions. Plus it's great if you're trying to find a nearby gas station, restaurant, store, atm or just about any place of business you'd be searching for.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Does anyone have pics of what the dash looks like without the nav package?

Old 02-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by HyperM3
Does anyone have pics of what the dash looks like without the nav package?
It looks identical except some of the buttons surrounding the Infiniti Controller are different.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Wow, thanks for the super quick reply! Now I know the Nav comes with the ability to insert a memory card. Can you still plug in an MP3 player through some aux. cord if you dont have Nav? The reason Im asking all this is because I have a garmin unit and have no desire to have built in nav if I dont really get much more of a bonus for having it. Plus if I can get more space in the trunk with the cd changer not in there Id be happier(considering theres no fold down seats).

Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Wow, thanks for the super quick reply! Now I know the Nav comes with the ability to insert a memory card. Can you still plug in an MP3 player through some aux. cord if you dont have Nav? The reason Im asking all this is because I have a garmin unit and have no desire to have built in nav if I dont really get much more of a bonus for having it. Plus if I can get more space in the trunk with the cd changer not in there Id be happier(considering theres no fold down seats).
Yep, the AUX ports in the armrest will still be there if you choose not to get the Navi. If you use the AUX ports for your MP3 player, it just won't be integrated into the head unit like the CF slot is. You'll need to change songs through the MP3 player itself as an example.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 02-10-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yep, the AUX ports in the armrest will still be there if you choose not to get the Navi. If you use the AUX ports for your MP3 player, it just won't be integrated into the head unit like the CF slot is. You'll need to change songs through the MP3 player itself as an example.
Rock on, thats all the info I needed. Now I dont need Nav or Tech packages.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
My only reason for wanting navi would have been to get a screen. Since the car gives you a screen anyway paying $2,100 for navigation seemed very steep. I have a 60 GB iPod in the armrest and the 6 MP3 CD changer in the dash that should be enough music for me

Here is my setup WITHOUT navigation!

Last edited by MB The Body; 02-12-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Awesome, thanks for the pics! Do the buttons down by the radio change at all? Did Infiniti design that little passageway for cords from under the armrest or that just happened to be there? Very clever!

Oh, does anyone have any pics of the trunk with and without the changer so I can see exactly how much room Id be gaining? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
go with nav! i love it.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Awesome, thanks for the pics! Do the buttons down by the radio change at all? Did Infiniti design that little passageway for cords from under the armrest or that just happened to be there? Very clever!

Oh, does anyone have any pics of the trunk with and without the changer so I can see exactly how much room Id be gaining? Thanks in advance.
Yeah you can see those 2 bumps by where I have the iPod wire going. They must have done there homework and realized if someone used an mp3 player they'd want to have it out of the armest and would need a way for the wire to get through. Very smart! I have not seen a navi equipped car so I can't say how different it would be other then to say a few posts up someone did just post a pic with navigation.

I can post a picture of my trunk later for you, but I'm not on my computer right now so I don't have access to upload the pic. what changer are you talking about though? The 6 Disc MP3 CD Player is in dash.

Originally Posted by swordfish
go with nav! i love it.
Think about how many sheets of paper I can print from MapQuest for $2,100 though

I'm just kidding. I don't need navigation though. I have always been good with directions and I don't live in an area where the roads are too confusing.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Ya, depends on if you are buying or leasing.. I leased so the payment difference wasn't too much for the navigation... as you know.. all the cars have the screens...

Old 02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by MB The Body

I can post a picture of my trunk later for you, but I'm not on my computer right now so I don't have access to upload the pic. what changer are you talking about though? The 6 Disc MP3 CD Player is in dash.
Hmm, my 6 disc changer is in the trunk. The dash is for single cd only.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by dude_abides
Hmm, my 6 disc changer is in the trunk. The dash is for single cd only.
Right, if you have nav then the changer is in the trunk. If you dont, then theres a 6 dish changer in the head unit. This is why I want to see the trunk area with and without the changer.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I have Nav and Tech... I still use my ZEN for all my music. I use Napster and the files arent compatible so it doesnt do me any good to put them into the digital jukebox, I am sure it wouldnt play them. I have yet to laod a cd because I just dont listen to them anymore. I need to try and load the Napster files onto the jukebox though, just in case by some fluke they work... I am guessing you can load into the jukebox from CF cards? Or does it have to be a rip from a CD? I havent even looked into it yet...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to Nav or not to Nav