G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

What was the closet competitor to your 07 G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 08:59 PM
Bad Toro
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by demoncleaner
We test drove the G three times, even though we knew we were buying it already...just because it was so damn fun!
You too??!?!?

Old 02-03-2007 | 09:05 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
The short list was:
Cadillac CTS (too many problems)
Saab 9.5 (too many quirky problems)
BMW 330I (too small, too much $)
Jaguar (it was a Ford)
Charger (they screwed it up, four doors )

Old 02-03-2007 | 10:18 PM
I'm a newbie. I just joined to research the new G. We're also considering the IS350 and the 335i.

Rick

Last edited by C5Longhorn; 02-03-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2007 | 10:26 PM
Living in upstate NY, I really wanted an AWD. I tested:

- Volvo S60 (AWD) - not enough bang for the buck. Price was above mid-30s.

- Lexus IS250 (AWD) - engine wasn't nearly as powerful as the G35. Way too small. Back seat was somewhat of a joke. IS350 - powerful engine, but not AWD.

- Acura TL - not an AWD, but was considering it as well. Very comfortable to drive. I've had good past experience with Honda's reliability, but ultimately, the G35 won out due to more powerful car, AWD, and overall more tech features.

- BMW 328ix - AWD, but engine was nowhere as powerful as the G35. 335iasn't even seriously considered. No AWD option on 335 (only on 328) and cost much more by the time you added all the options that I would get with the G35.

Old 02-04-2007 | 02:22 AM
Lexus IS350 and BMW 330i.

Old 02-04-2007 | 09:40 AM
Bad Toro
Staff Alumni
If you take price out of the equation: 330i (I don't consider the 335i competition because it's a coupe - it will be good competition to the 08' G coupe when it comes out later on this year).

So you have one competitor: 330i - but then, what kind of a comparison is that if you don't factor price in? Without price factored, you can go and compare the G sedan to an E55 AMG.... so you have to factor in price. Hence, with price factored in, here it is:

330i - overpriced
IS350 - too small, and numb driving dynamics
TL - FWD, and riced up look on the TL-S

Winner (IMO): G35 S - hands-down.

Simple as that, no ifs ands or buts....

Old 02-04-2007 | 09:49 AM
Demoncleaner Last and definitely LEAST, was the Lincoln MKZ AWD, yuck...nuff said.
+1

I really don't like the new styling direction of Lincoln. Not like I loved them before, but the huge "blingy" chrome grill and some of the over-the-top styling loses me completely...

Old 02-04-2007 | 10:52 AM
Nothing else concidered!

I drove a 04 coupe 6mt W/ every option in early sept.The guy just wanted too much! I've wanted an Infiniti for years though,just couldn't afford one @ the time. Late this summer started getting knowed up on the 2nd gen.G sedan .As soon as I saw it my mind was made up!I never took a test drive,I felt I'd read enough to be a Infiniti salesman.SOO placed my order late Nov.(G35 S 6mt,prem,aws,spoiler,BO) Can'n wait,wife claims I'm obsessed and may need professional help.Don't all people like this think their "NORMAL"??

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:03 AM
I was looking at the Dodge Charger for the longest time, and before that, the Dodge Magnum.

Both a far cry from the G35. I was well on my way to getting a Charger Daytona R/T until the test drive!

The seats, which I'd taken for granted to be leather, were actually vinyl with a faux suede insert (yuck!), and the interior was just crap. On the outside they look great. Thanks to the Mercedes designed suspension, they handle real nice for a big car. But from the inside, ultimately, it just felt like yet another mundane American sh**box.

When I parked it back at the dealership, and cut the engine, that old familiar smell of cheap rental cars filled my head, and I knew I'd never come within 100 feet of one of them ever again.

Considered going with a used Audi A6/Mercedes E/BMW 5 for a while. Just didn't like the idea of starting w/ 30K-plus on the odometer, and German reliability.

Looked at the Lexus ES350. Too much like a posh fur coat - not for me.

Considered the Lexus IS and BMW 3 simply too small.

Have always thought the Acura TL to just be ugly, in its current incarnation. Don't really dig the "wedge" look.

...and have been a fan of the Infiniti G ever since it first came out.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:04 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Auto Painter
wife claims I'm obsessed and may need professional help.Don't all people like this think their "NORMAL"??
Welcome to the club, it's quite normal for people here to need professional help.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:09 AM
N50
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Welcome to the club, it's quite normal for people here to need professional help.
Speak for yourself! I'm just fine...I think.

Old 02-04-2007 | 11:37 AM
|
Originally Posted by SPEEED
If you take price out of the equation: 330i (I don't consider the 335i competition because it's a coupe - it will be good competition to the 08' G coupe when it comes out later on this year).

So you have one competitor: 330i - but then, what kind of a comparison is that if you don't factor price in? Without price factored, you can go and compare the G sedan to an E55 AMG.... so you have to factor in price. Hence, with price factored in, here it is:

330i - overpriced
IS350 - too small, and numb driving dynamics
TL - FWD, and riced up look on the TL-S

Winner (IMO): G35 S - hands-down.

Simple as that, no ifs ands or buts....
I think I was a little surprised at the amount of people that had the 3 series on their short list. When I shop for a new vehicle I have a general price in mind. Granted I went into this picking the G on paper, but BMW just can't touch it price wise....especially if you add a few options. Even if a 328xi had another 76 hp, it would still be at least $2,000 more comparably equipped.

Old 02-04-2007 | 12:01 PM
335i and TL Type-S.

I test drove the TL first, since it was first available car, like interior a lot but threw up in my mouth when I saw the wheels. priced out ditching those and it adds another $1500 to price. Was underwhelmed by the 4 cyl. engine note.

Next up was the G35, I was always leaning toward this, I almost bought a 2004 but I hated the interior, mostly that horrible orange illumination they went with. I'd seen the car at the NYC auto show and it was impressive. The test drive blew me away, 1 think stuck in my mind. Was how the car held first gear to redline, even if you take your foot off the gas. and I was ecstatic they ditched the orange color.

After being unsuccessful in locating a 335i to test drive and not wanting to miss the November Order sheet, I decided to order the G35. Later on I test drove the 335i and thought, nice, really nice, but no where near $14,000 nicer then the G35, reaffirming that I made the right decision.

The IS350 was never an option, cost more and the rear leg room was unacceptable. didn't even take it for a ride.

Old 02-04-2007 | 12:35 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by N50
Speak for yourself! I'm just fine...I think.
Getting yourself out of denial is the first step Alex.

Old 02-04-2007 | 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by demoncleaner
For me it was the Subaru legacy GT 5MT. We were trading in our WRX, and that thing was bulletproof. The leggie was fast, handled great, but the interior was not quite up to the G's standards, however it was about 5 grand less so it actually was a pretty tough decision. It is a shame we couldn't get a manual trans with AWD from infiniti.
First I was thinking I wanted a 4x4 truck so I was looking at the Toyota Tacoma double cab TRD Sport. It was really nice for a truck, but in the end it just wasn't what a I wanted. Then I moved on to the Subaru Legacy GT 5MT, after the test drive I was convinced it was the car I wanted. I started reading some really bad reviews about Subaru's overall quality then I jokingly said I could get a used G for the same price. I went to the dealership test drove a 2004 X and I liked it a lot but they weren't willing to deal on the price at all on the used cars so I decided to forget it. A few days later I went back in and a different salesman talked me into ordering the 07.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What was the closet competitor to your 07 G?