G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Question about G35 rain traction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow tires and traction control will work wonders, even in RWD. Keep in mind, snow tires are formulated to work better in the cold even if there is no snow.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Waxer
Originally Posted by buzzG35
Maybe I should qualify my question. In the past I have owned several compact trucks (RWD, poor stock tires, no traction control, & no weight in the rear). These are about the worst possible vehicle for wet or snowy roads. My wife and I trade off vehicles and our other vehicle is a 2006 Hummer H3 (AWD, traction control, huge tires, a lot of weight, & not much power). This vehicle has about the best traction in ANY kind of weather. I'm not concerned about me driving the G35 because of my truck experience, but I just want to make sure that it is a little closer to the H3 end of the range than the truck end for when my wire drives it.

Our situation is that if we get the Journey, we can get the Premium, Nav, & Tech packages, but if we get the AWD, we could probably only get the Premium package. Is the AWD worth not getting the Nav and Tech packages?

Thank you very much for all of you responses and help so far.
If you're really concerned about this then I would highly recommend a good set of snow tires. We as a group can't judge how well you or your wife can drive but I rather be safe then sorry. My $.02.

By the way I grew up in New England and have driven in every kind of weather and like you owned some of the worse cars for the snow. It really is the old 80/20 rule. Either the driver is 80% good driver and the car is only 20% or you buy a car like the H3 that is 80% good in the snow which means the driver only has to be 20% as good.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by filanj
if it is anything like the VCD system on prior models, than it is a very good system (in my opinion)...obviously nothing compared to AWD ... i wish i had AWD in my coupe though
I agree. No complaints in the rain.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzG35
Maybe I should qualify my question. In the past I have owned several compact trucks (RWD, poor stock tires, no traction control, & no weight in the rear). These are about the worst possible vehicle for wet or snowy roads.

Our situation is that if we get the Journey, we can get the Premium, Nav, & Tech packages, but if we get the AWD, we could probably only get the Premium package. Is the AWD worth not getting the Nav and Tech packages?

Thank you very much for all of you responses and help so far.
It won't be anywhere near as bad as your truck, and on normal roads it's not much of a problem. Basically you have to be very aware of throttle in the rain; around corners the back end will come out with relatively small amounts of throttle. Remember, mine did it going straight...as another example, driving today in dry and fairly warm weather, floored it in 2nd going straight from about 20 on a mildly dusty road (construction near it), and the back end skipped happily from side-to-side (with VDC holding it).

So, the car isn't by any means inherently unsafe in the rain, it just appears to be more sensitive than others.

Can't help with AWD vs. NAV / Tech because I didn't seek any of those

Last edited by G35Now!; 02-05-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I suspect that the first time you get sideways in the Journey you will regret not having gotten the X. Good luck with your choice, whichever it may be.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, it snowed here last night so it was the perfect opportunity to go out and really test it out. I went to the dealer and test drove one. I was very impressed with how it handled in the snow. Obviously, (like most of you said) you have to drive with a little bit of common sense, but it is nowhere near as bad as some of the trucks I used to own. I even took it to a parking lot that had about 1/2 to 1in of snow. Even when it slips, the VDC seems to keep it very controlled.
In fact I was so impressed that I bought it. It is a 2007 G35 Journey (Black/Wheat) Premium, Nav, & Tech. These are amazing cars.

Thank you everyone for your responses and help.