G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

BumperPlugs: blue slate submitted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Bad Toro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I think he means they are $129 for one pair only (at this time). They'll start production if if they get six people at a cost of $24.95 each.
I understand that, but there is no way in hell I'd pay $129 for these. I have a pair of Diamond Graphite plugs on my coupe. You gotta see these. They are nothing but a mere plastic nails. $129 is a total rip off. All they do is obtain a factory paints from a local dealer and spray paint.

The plugs can break if the fins are not shaved a bit. That was the case with my plugs. When I first attempted to insert them, the holes in the bumper were too small, so I shaved some of the fins. The fins are one-directional (shaped like little arrows), in other words, once the plug is in, you can't pull it out. Shave the fins off and you are good to go.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
All of their plugs are overpriced. I just went to Lowe's, bought some plastic plugs in the hardware section for 88 cents. They are black so just paint them with the touch up paint you have to match your car.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can anyone tell me the best plugs to get from the hardware store? I might just do that than. I took out the plastic inserts for the license plate frame screws, so it's just bare bumper holes.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm already looking into it. We use plugs all the time so I am checking with some of my vendors. What is the diameter of the hole and how thick do you think the bumper cover is?
It's about 3/8 of an inch (1cm).

Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by GoofyG28
That's one big motherfcka hole

Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
No problem What about the thickness of the bumper cover (mine still have inserts so I can't see).

Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Geeze what a price. Glad they never drilled mine! But I gotta say if they did it seems way to easy to find your own solution than to pay some company any amount of money for a little piece of color matched plastic. I'd be gettin creative.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 AM
No problem What about the thickness of the bumper cover (mine still have inserts so I can't see).
I have no idea. Are you referring to the BumperPlug ones? they're semi spherical. I plan on dropping by Home Depot tomorrow to see what I can unearth. $25 really is a lot, but I figured it's the best quality with layers of paint ("14 stage" process, whatever BS that means).

Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 AM

I have no idea. Are you referring to the BumperPlug ones? they're semi spherical. I plan on dropping by Home Depot tomorrow to see what I can unearth. $25 really is a lot, but I figured it's the best quality with layers of paint ("14 stage" process, whatever BS that means).
Sorry, let me clarify, the thickness of the bumper itself. There are several manufacturers of plugs. To spec a lug, I need hole diameter and hole depth. Hole depth in our case is the thickness of our bumper. This should be EASY ... and I'm talking less than $1.00 for two. The touch up paint will cost more!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 PM
The thickness of the bumper itself is very thin. I didn't measure it, but I'd say it's about 1/8" or so. I found these "hole plugs" at Home Depot (metallic), with flexible teeth that should lock the plugs in place -- I hope. They didn't have the right size, but I think I'll use those.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I just googled "bumper hole plug", and here's a GREAT DYI thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3104006

Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Bad Toro
I just googled "bumper hole plug", and here's a GREAT DYI thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3104006

Great find goofy!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by SPEEED
Great find goofy!
The funny thing is, these nylon hole plugs are very rare. Luckily, one of the biggest Home Depots in the Bay Area have them, so I'm driving there tomorrow to get some. Anyone have any good tips on applying touch-up paint (brush)? Since it's not in a spray-can container, it's harder to apply the paint to the uneven surface. And I don't need a clear coat, right, because the touch-up paint has clear coat built in?

Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 PM

The funny thing is, these nylon hole plugs are very rare. Luckily, one of the biggest Home Depots in the Bay Area have them, so I'm driving there tomorrow to get some. Anyone have any good tips on applying touch-up paint (brush)? Since it's not in a spray-can container, it's harder to apply the paint to the uneven surface. And I don't need a clear coat, right, because the touch-up paint has clear coat built in?
I'll get some plug samples for you as soon as I get a chance (since you got the same car color I do) so you can play around with them. I'll PM you when they come in.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Bad Toro
If you have a little spray bottle, you could spill some paint into it and spray it on. I think the best spray bottle for this job would be one of those car scent sprays they sell at any AutoZone. Empty the bottle (wash thoroughly), and refill with touch up paint - tighten it so it does dry inside, and spray on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BumperPlugs: blue slate submitted