G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Defeated Non-Nav Auxillary Lockout

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Anyone renting an 07 G with Navigation inthe near future?

Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any hard clips when taking the A/V unit out? I've broken my fair share of these stupid clips when taking my interior apart in my Accord ;0(

Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Don't hold your breath regarding this being stickied, I know I won't sticky it.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Awesome !

I dont have an 07 G... but its a Great contribution to the community !!!

ppp

Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by dr_strange2001
Thats why your awesome!!!
LOL!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Don't hold your breath regarding this being stickied, I know I won't sticky it.
Can I just ask a question. Isn't the purpose of this forum to discuss items and issues w/ others w/ similar questions? And last time I checked, the "internet" didn't need a ruling party to dictate whether or not something was "worthy" of being discussed. It seems solving this issue is in high demand.

Canuck - I realize that you have an eithical/safety issue with this topic (which you have voiced many and several times), but you are being somewhat hypocritical by refusing to "sticky" a topic serval members have requested (solely because you don't like/agree with the topic). IMO, your role as a "moderator" is being some what abused as you are using your own preferences to filter what gets posted.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by mfecko
Can I just ask a question. Isn't the purpose of this forum to discuss items and issues w/ others w/ similar questions? And last time I checked, the "internet" didn't need a ruling party to dictate whether or not something was "worthy" of being discussed. It seems solving this issue is in high demand.

Canuck - I realize that you have an eithical/safety issue with this topic (which you have voiced many and several times), but you are being somewhat hypocritical by refusing to "sticky" a topic serval members have requested (solely because you don't like/agree with the topic). IMO, your role as a "moderator" is being some what abused as you are using your own preferences to filter what gets posted.
I appreciate your input, however this isn't about what "I" deem ethical and unsafe.....it is what the forum itself stands by. I will not sticky a topic like this because it constitutes unsafe driving and is illegal. If you asked me to sticky a street racing thread, I wouldn't do that either. Just because a group of people are interested in a topic doesn't mean it is suitable to be stickied. If you feel that I am abusing my priveleges as a Moderator here on the forum that is fine, that is your right. If you have a problem with my decision not to sticky this I suggest you send a PM to Kyle (Godzilla) who is the owner of G35Driver, or any of the other admins.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned
Fair enough, but technically speaking, the same lock-out functionality that locks out video capability, also impacts Nav Control functionality, a feature that is not locked out on a lot of other cars. So technically speaking, "un-locking" the locked Nav Functionilty isn't an "illegal" act (as you claim is your reson for not stickying the post). If I want to be able to have full control of my Nav system while driving my G vs. going out and buying an aftermarket Nav system that has no lock-out functionality, am I technically doing anything illegal? Is it not my right as a car owner to make that decision? Do I not have the right to ask others for assitance in helping me w/ this issue without having Big Brother tell me what he thinks I should be able to do with my $60K car?

Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Fair enough, but technically speaking, the same lock-out functionality that locks out video capability, also impacts Nav Control functionality, a feature that is not locked out on a lot of other cars. So technically speaking, "un-locking" the locked Nav Functionilty isn't an "illegal" act (as you claim is your reson for not stickying the post). If I want to be able to have full control of my Nav system while driving my G vs. going out and buying an aftermarket Nav system that has no lock-out functionality, am I technically doing anything illegal? Is it not my right as a car owner to make that decision? Do I not have the right to ask others for assitance in helping me w/ this issue without having Big Brother tell me what he thinks I should be able to do with my $60K car?
If you want to speak "technically" about nav and video lockout, navigation functions are specifically EXCLUDED from state laws, while video functions are specifically INCLUDED as illegal activities.

If you want to go out and buy an aftermarket nav system, go ahead that's your right as a consumer, but if you choose to get the integrated system, quit your b!tch'n. The limitations are well known and for the most part, make sense.

It is not your right however to endanger the rest of the drivers on the road because you want to catch the latest episode of (insert your favorite movie or tv show here).

Mostly I lurk on this board, but I for one am getting tired of threads trying to skirt the law. Work to change the laws if you don't like them. In the mean time, follow them.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Traveling Administrator
Having videos playing on a screen in the frontal area of a car is illegal. I am not sure if it is illegal in every single state, but from what I have read it is illegal in most of them.

Again by not stickying this, I am making a judgement call based on what I perceive this forum to condone. If you think my judgement of wrong, PM the owner of the site.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by hothothot
If you want to speak "technically" about nav and video lockout, navigation functions are specifically EXCLUDED from state laws, while video functions are specifically INCLUDED as illegal activities.

If you want to go out and buy an aftermarket nav system, go ahead that's your right as a consumer, but if you choose to get the integrated system, quit your b!tch'n. The limitations are well known and for the most part, make sense.

It is not your right however to endanger the rest of the drivers on the road because you want to catch the latest episode of (insert your favorite movie or tv show here).

Mostly I lurk on this board, but I for one am getting tired of threads trying to skirt the law. Work to change the laws if you don't like them. In the mean time, follow them.
Thank you, especially for the part in bold!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by hothothot

If you read my last note carfully, I explicitly stated that my reasons for unlocking the video in motion feature is for the purposes of having full access to my Nav system, not for catching "the latest episode of (insert your favorite movie or tv show here)", k smart A**.

Just becasue the manufacturer locks certain funcitonality out of a car, does that make it right? If you're content w/ the functionality, then GRRREEEAAAAAAAT. If my g-friend wants to change a destination while I drive, should I not have that option? Shouldn't I be able to come on here and discuss this w/ others and come to some sort of resolution. If you're not interested in the topic of conversation, then go visit another thread. Perhaps you can look at some more pics in the "Sticky of - Post your Pics forum" of the same cars over and over. Yes - that thread certainly helps people on here. Its not about b*tching, its about letting people discuss what they feel is important. And if you (or Canuck) don't like it, don't read the thread.

Last edited by Picus; 03-12-2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: No need for insults.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Traveling Administrator
Okay - either both of you are hearing or reading impaired, not sure which one.

If you read my last note carfully, I explicitly stated that my reasons for unlocking the video in motion feature is for the purposes of having full access to my Nav system, not for catching "the latest episode of (insert your favorite movie or tv show here)", k smart A**.

Just becasue the manufacturer locks certain funcitonality out of a car, does that make it right? If you're content w/ the functionality, then GRRREEEAAAAAAAT. You deserve a star for being a great consumer who will take what ever the manufacturer shoves down your throat. If my g-friend wants to change a destination while I drive, should I not have that option? Shouldn't I be able to come on here and discuss this w/ others and come to some sort of resolution. If you're not interested in the topic of conversation, then go visit another thread. Perhaps you can look at some more pics in the "Sticky of - Post your Pics forum" of the same cars over and over. Yes - that thread certainly helps people on here. Its not about b*tching, its about letting people discuss what they feel is important. And if you (or Canuck) don't like it, don't read the thread.
Voice your concerns to Kyle if you feel this is so important.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
gao
Hey Guys, lets keep to the topic of the thread and give GarnetCanuck a break. Everyone has their rights to their views, and its not like GarnetCanuck is locking down the thread. If people are desperate enough they can search for this. I for one would like to do this mod. Not for myself but for my g/f or friends cooped up during a long distance journey or be able play from my own huge mp3 libraries since I dont have a CF reader.

Lets not ruin the mood of this thread or website. So lets not sticky this but someone please post pics or vids

Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned
Agreed - not trying to make enemies on here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Defeated Non-Nav Auxillary Lockout