G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile G35x Owners

Great forum everyone, I have spent countless hours reading and enjoying the banter so I thought I would join in, seeing I may soon be part of the "family." I have just sold my current vehicle (lease buyout and private sale) and have done alot of research and reading and have pretty much decided on the 07 G35x as my next new lease. My question to owners of the G35x and specifically to those in more Northern climates. Are you able to drive the vehicle with the stock Goodyear tires in the snow? I have always mounted snow tires on seperate rims on most cars I have owned. I understand this is definetly the best way to get through winter. I am curious if anyone has had snow experiences with the AWD and the stock tires and how good/poor those experiences have been. By the way I am leaning towards the Platinum Ice/Graphite Leather Interior with Premium, Navi and Tech package. Also if any owners have such a vehicle would love to see your pictures. Not sure whether to get the splashguards either have not seen what they look like. Any suggestions?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Welcome to the forum bro. I would definitely suggest getting winter tires, as the stock RS-As are not all that great in the snowy icy conditions we get. GEE35X (Wayne) is in your area and in on his second G35x, I am sure he'll be able to provide you some great feedback.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am on my second X. The stock all seasons are only good for three seasons, definitely get a good set of winters for the car and it is simply amazing.

My stock tires have 150kms on them and they will not go back on the car until it's time to deal.
Get the splashguards, they look good and help a bit. Mine are still back-ordered.

Edit: you beat me by one minute Shane
Here's a pic of mine wearing her winter Blizzaks

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-14-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Welcome. I just picked my G up in the middle of last month, so I don't have too much winter experience. But for what I did experience, the stock tires worked perfectly. I had no trouble whatsoever. But I think I am going to get some winter tires next year.

GEE35X...nice pic. That color looks amazing in any weather conditions.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metalxhealth
Welcome. I just picked my G up in the middle of last month, so I don't have too much winter experience. But for what I did experience, the stock tires worked perfectly. I had no trouble whatsoever. But I think I am going to get some winter tires next year.

That's funny because when I was given a G35x loaner a couple of weeks ago, I nearly got into an accident due to the all seasons on it. I was used to the blizzaks on the FX for sure, but still...I don't feel the all seasons give you nearly the braking/turning confidence blizzaks do. I didn't say this to get into a debate, your comment made me curious considering you live in Buffalo! Maybe I can't drive?!

To the OP, if you go with the G35x, you'll love the ATTESSA AWD system for sure. I highly recommend putting snow tires on though. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by N50; 03-14-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by metalxhealth

Thanks metalxhealth.
The winter tires do make a big difference especially for stopping and in real icy conditions.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Welcome, great choice in the X! I found the stockers to be just fine in the snowy conditions. I did get winters on the stock rims because they will be dedicated winters now. If it were me, at this point of the season I would just keep the stockers for the rest of this winter, get winters next year. Enjoy the car.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Ooooh...I really like this pic of your G in the Great White North!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Deathscythe
Ooooh...I really like this pic of your G in the Great White North!!!
^+1 Great pic Wayne

I agree with the others re snows... (been discussed many times if you want to reasearch)
AWD has no bearing on the need for dedicated snows.
No matter what platform... snows could save your life because of steering & most importantly .... braking

I also agree that your probably OK until next year though...
probably not much selection out there now anyway.

Also... welcome to asylum & be sure to check out the Canadian section

Old 03-15-2007, 09:37 AM
We haven't had nearly as much snow as those living north of us, but my experience is that the RS-A's were pretty good. Using Snow mode, I never spun my tires at all. I'll probably keep them until next winter where I'll then switch to a better (probably the Kumho ECSTA ASX). In my opinion, snow is one thing and ice is another. I've yet to see a tire do exceptionally well on ice.

I think you should be fine for the rest of this winter with the RS-A's.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I think the general consensus is if you live in a true winter climate (most posts in this thread) you will want winter tires.

Moose - the ASXs are great tires. Like you I had a perfectly fine winter the the RS-As but I used to run the ASXs on my Z and they were great.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm in the Cleveland area and we've had our share of snow this year. I don't doubt that winter tires would be better, but I can honestly say that I had no problems whatsoever w/ the stock tires this winter. I was very please w/ their performance (and the g35x overall)!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Moose - the ASXs are great tires. Like you I had a perfectly fine winter the the RS-As but I used to run the ASXs on my Z and they were great.
I've read a lot of good things about the ASXs and at $85, how can you beat them?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
We've had no problems with the stockers this season. The AWD works really well as well. If you're in the GTA, you should probably be fine with the stocks.

Also... Nice username...

Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome!

I picked up my G35x in late January - nice improvement on the old M5 for refinement and winter acceleration traction.

As others have noted, the RSA is (barely) a 3 season tire and is quite hopeless on ice (very poor stopping and steering). The AWD compensates for this somewhat, giving pure straight-ahead traction, but unless you can steer and stop...

I'm plannining to run the RSAs only until next fall at which point a set of dedicated snows will be bought. I had a set of Nokian RSi (hukky pukkys) on the M5 and that thing was truly incredible on ice and snow (stopping and steering). With the road conditions in Calgary, ice tires are preferable to snow tires.

Good luck with your choice.

AD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x Owners