G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheel hop?

so i FINALLY finished my break-in, and of course had to do just a little bit of hoonage to celebrate

anyone else notice a large amount of rear wheel hop (g35s 6spd)? i was a bit disappointed to see this, but then again i don't really plan on regularly doing donuts or burn outs -- i just wanted to see how the car would handle it.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Hoonage?

Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
the urban dictionary definition is here.

it's kinda vague, so i'll point you to the most likely place i picked up the term, jalopnik. it's a pretty good car blog site.

FWIW, my definition here is basically screwing around with your car.

anyways, back on topic, am i the only one that's gotten this reaction from the car? i find it hard to believe i'm the only one that has spun the tires a little bit

Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you "hoonage" aren't you supposed to want wheel hop - or "plop-skwauk"?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
wow... I think I understood about 3 words in this thead.

Go Skins!?!?!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:40 PM
wheel hop? There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to figure 8, burnout, drift, etc in a 300hp+, 6 speed car......my coupe on 19s could light em up NO PROBLEM!

Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by G-Whizzer
When you "hoonage" aren't you supposed to want wheel hop - or "plop-skwauk"?
wheel hop isn't something i'd want. my 944 turbo doesn't do this, but it doesn't have an LSD. then again, an M5 has an LSD, and it doesn't hop at all. the CTS-V guys rant about how bad the wheel hop is on their cars, although i haven't experienced this myself to compare to the 07 G. and, i have no idea if a CTS-V has an LSD or not.

hell, it may have nothing at all to do with the diff, it could be the suspension setup this car has. i'm just trying to determine if anyone else has seen this behavior with their 07 g sedan.

Originally Posted by hokiesean24
wow... I think I understood about 3 words in this thead.

Go Skins!?!?!
you obviously have nothing to contribute, now move along.

Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
wheel hop? There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to figure 8, burnout, drift, etc in a 300hp+, 6 speed car......my coupe on 19s could light em up NO PROBLEM!
hmmm, that's what i thought, too. hopefully someone else with an 07 sedan can (or already has) confirm or deny..

Old 03-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by XXeR
so i FINALLY finished my break-in, and of course had to do just a little bit of hoonage to celebrate

anyone else notice a large amount of rear wheel hop (g35s 6spd)? i was a bit disappointed to see this, but then again i don't really plan on regularly doing donuts or burn outs -- i just wanted to see how the car would handle it.
I've lit them up often, and never had an issue with wheel hop. I'm still on snows though, so I can't really speak for the summer rubber.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't pushed a 6MT in the 07, however I did have a little fun with my 5AT 07 loaner I had a couple of months back. I didn't get wheelhop, but that doesn't mean anything. It was pretty cool out, and the tires just spun.

My wife used to have an 04 5AT, and she never had any problems with wheelhop. But my 6MT has huge problems with wheelhop, if I just dump the clutch. If you feather the clutch, you'll reduce the wheel hop drastically, but that is probably pretty obvious.

I can't offer much advice, other than to let you know that the previous gen sedan and coupes(6MT) experience wheelhop regularly. I've had it with the stock sport springs and shocks, my 04 coupe springs and shocks, the stock sways, and the stillen sways. I haven't replaced any bushings, but I'm not sure new bushings would really help.

On a positive note, when I put the BFG DR's on the car, wheelhop was dramatically reduced.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by XXeR
the urban dictionary definition is here.

it's kinda vague, so i'll point you to the most likely place i picked up the term, jalopnik. it's a pretty good car blog site.
That's where I went wrong, I prefer standard English and clear communication.

So sorry.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by MoCoG
I've lit them up often, and never had an issue with wheel hop. I'm still on snows though, so I can't really speak for the summer rubber.
good point. i'd say the summer tires definitely come into play with wheel hop, although M5 tires likely have even more grip yet have no wheel hop. (i have no evidence for or against though)

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I haven't pushed a 6MT in the 07, however I did have a little fun with my 5AT 07 loaner I had a couple of months back. I didn't get wheelhop, but that doesn't mean anything. It was pretty cool out, and the tires just spun.

My wife used to have an 04 5AT, and she never had any problems with wheelhop. But my 6MT has huge problems with wheelhop, if I just dump the clutch. If you feather the clutch, you'll reduce the wheel hop drastically, but that is probably pretty obvious.

I can't offer much advice, other than to let you know that the previous gen sedan and coupes(6MT) experience wheelhop regularly. I've had it with the stock sport springs and shocks, my 04 coupe springs and shocks, the stock sways, and the stillen sways. I haven't replaced any bushings, but I'm not sure new bushings would really help.

On a positive note, when I put the BFG DR's on the car, wheelhop was dramatically reduced.
thanks for the info!! that's depressing to hear that your 6spd had wheel hop with the various suspension mods that you did. since i'd never really mess with the diff, suspension would have been my next guess

Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
So sorry.
apology accepted.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Most people here haven't really jumped on this car yet...
SO - once they do, maybe you'll have some more data to evaluate the G's performance.
From what little aggressive driving I've done - there is NO wheel hop.
Maybe someone who has done some WOT can contribute here.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Premier Member

I get mad wheel hop... And i'm running 295's in the rear... I'm always pushin my car... I know suspension work helps get rid of the wheel hop... (From wat i've heard) I still have stock suspension...

Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 PM
i just started playin with the launches and this car, and yes it gets massive wheel hop. My coupe did get it too. I think a big part of this is because the weather is still relativly cold (especially at night) and with the summer tires they just become hard in this weather.

I say this because my coupe i picked in the middle of last summer when it was blazin hot and i didnt notice the wheel hop on the car till about 2-3 months later.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 AM
I get tons of wheel hop. It's really annoying. I attributed it to the traction control, though since I was able to turn the car 180 degrees with WOT when making a hard right turn and traction control off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wheel hop?