G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stranded by the intelligent key!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
A guy in the Edmunds forum posted something like this a few months back.
He was at the grocery store. The car unlocked but would not start, kept saying "No Key"

It took over an hour of playing with it before it started.
He was bummed, his dealer is 240 miles away!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spoke to my salesman. I had emailed him this morning. He confirmed that I'm at least the 4th person he knows of with this happen on the 07s. He wasn't sure but he thinks service just reprograms the key. I'll find out more tomorrow when I bring it in.

4 seems like a high number for one dealership over the 5 months since sales began. I'm surprised it hasn't happened to more people here and wonder how long before it becomes a more widely known issue (and maybe gets some attention from Nissan). I wonder if they're having similar issues with other Nissans with the intelligent key?

Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Does the G's key not have like a flat metal key you can use to start the car in situations like that?

Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by kk989
Does the G's key not have like a flat metal key you can use to start the car in situations like that?
It does, but it only used to open the door. To start the engine it relies completley on the fob itself. What exactly in the fob that it is detecting, I have no idea

Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by daluder
so if you lose the key fob how much is it to replace?
I remember asking my sales rep and he told me $250. I was a little doubtful so I went to go ask the manager. I forget the exact price, but it was around $1000.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't have a FOB key for my 99 Chrysler lhs, but more often than not, the car won't recognize the key, so the security system will shut off the car a second after it starts. I think it takes at least an hour to reset, luckily i have a remote starter, and just use that and im all set.

Def getting a remote starter for my g when i start looking in June.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you get into the car without the intelligent key? Then might as well keep the second key locked in the glove compartment.....only thing I can think of

Old 03-26-2007, 04:36 PM
This happened twice when my mother borrowed my car when she was in town. She'd come back to the car, and could get in, but wouldn't start.

First time, i wasn't nearby, told her to put the key in that slot on the dash, and it started.

2nd time, i was actually a block away, i got in the car, and it started fine.... very weird. hasn't happened since. That was within the first month of owning the car? I've had it about 5 months now.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Glad I haven't had any of these problems with my smart key .
I sorta get a kick out of those of you that are blaming the possibility of dropping the key as the problem. Any key fob that can't handle a significant impact is flawed and needs to be recalled. Seriously, people knock keys around all the time. They fall out of pockets, fall off tables, get stepped on. Keys are supposed to be durable. If they aren't, they need to be recalled and redesigned.

Obviously within limits of course. I wouldn't expect a key to survive a sledgehammer hit.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:53 AM
I can't remember where I read it, (I just went through the manual and couldn't find it) but supposedly you can't drive the car without a key. If the car is running and there isn't a key in the car, it's suppose to shut down when you hit the brake.

I'll try it tomorrow.

Gil

Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had issues with the intelligent key before but nothing like in this thread. Make sure your wheel is not locked.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Whats the purpose of having this "smart key" in the first place? Is it because people are too lazy to stick a metal wand into the keyhole? I mean, dont you have to reach over there to turn the freakin ****/ push the button anyway, why not stick in the key while your at it. I find his more of an inconvenience than a luxury, specially when its not working. And $1000 for the key? Wtf is in there, platinum? The circuitry and electronics in that thing are probably worth $30 max! ***-hats will do anything to rip people off, they make you think its a luxury until you lose the fkin thing and are left with a fat bill. Ill go copy my key for $2 at the local shop, thank you!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gilman
I can't remember where I read it, (I just went through the manual and couldn't find it) but supposedly you can't drive the car without a key. If the car is running and there isn't a key in the car, it's suppose to shut down when you hit the brake.

I'll try it tomorrow.

Gil
You probably read it here in another thread. It's wrong.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by pepperochini
Whats the purpose of having this "smart key" in the first place? Is it because people are too lazy to stick a metal wand into the keyhole? I mean, dont you have to reach over there to turn the freakin ****/ push the button anyway, why not stick in the key while your at it. I find his more of an inconvenience than a luxury, specially when its not working. And $1000 for the key? Wtf is in there, platinum? The circuitry and electronics in that thing are probably worth $30 max! ***-hats will do anything to rip people off, they make you think its a luxury until you lose the fkin thing and are left with a fat bill. Ill go copy my key for $2 at the local shop, thank you!
a regular nissan/infiniti key will run you about 80 bucks then u have to program it... an inteligent key is about 115 plus programing.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by logik05se
a regular nissan/infiniti key will run you about 80 bucks then u have to program it... an inteligent key is about 115 plus programing.
Yes, a regular key still has a transceiver in it for anti-theft... car won't start without:

1. Working, valid, properly programmed key
2. Healthy battery in key

So... the days of the "I'll just go get a key cut at home depot" are long gone.. my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant even had a "chipped" key. Once I went in the pool with it and had to wait for it to dry out before my car would start!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stranded by the intelligent key!