G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stranded by the intelligent key!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can I get a battery for the intelligent key?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
something similar happened to me one night at a restaurant called Capitol Grill...

I go to Valet get out of my car and give the guy my key and tell him " the headlights turn off when you get out and close the door so dont worry about turning them off inside" he says ok and hands me the slip and i hand him my key... after dinner i go outside hand him my ticket and he goes to get my key..he comes back and says sir i dont have your key you never gave it to me..so im like yes i did i know i did..he shows me the ticket and written on the ticket is "no key" and i said to him look man how the hell did you drive my car away with no key? and he says i dont know but i remember you didnt give me your key..so at this point im fuming because im an hour away from home and i dont want to go get my spare its like 12am. So i argue with him some more i tell him ok let me go to your key room and search for it..i go to the key room and dont see my key anywhere..im like WTF!!!! I argue with him and say look man im 110% sure i gave you my key and my gf is saying the same thing. he replies im 150% sure you didnt...so after that i go inside and get the manager..he comes out and says ok check every car to see if you dropped it on the floor..so the valet guy goes and does all the cars...the manager says ok show me your car lets go see it so we walk to the car and im explaining the whole keyless b/s and i walk up to the car and hit the black button on the and it unlocks!!!!!!! im like WTF!!!!! so then the manager is like you have it on you im like no!!!! we turn around and the valet guy is standing behind us holding it in his hand???? im like wtf dude where was my key..he goes on to tell me that an Infiniti just like mine pulled up after i did and they put both keys together..and the guy in the Black 07 was about to drive away with my key and they stopped him right before he left...so i was freaking out and i yelled at the valet guy for a lil bit and drove off.....whole thing lasted about an hour..so yea i see your point about having to keep the spare on you...i hate VALET!!!!!

anyways the intellegent key is good for people who are intellegent..other than that Valet people are morons
I have an 05 with the intelligent key and I just always take the key out of keyfob everytime I do valet . I hate explaining how the keyfob works every time I go to valet.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
You probably read it here in another thread. It's wrong.
Yup, I tested this w/ my friend this weekend. I turned on the car and walked away (w/ key in pocket). Asked him to see if it would shut down if he tried to drive away w/ it and he had no problems. Once the car is on, it's good to go.

That's why during the winter when I would warm up my car, once I turned it on, I would lock the doors before walking back into the house.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I dont understand this. So if my key battery is dead and I dont have my sparekey nearby, I am screwed? HOw will we know when the battery is about to die for the key? What a ridiculous concept.

It's a shame because I am beginning to get used to it, especially the part where I can leave my key in the pocket and open the door and start the car. I figured out the door opening part only days later when my buddy asked me what the little button was on the door handle.

And is the $1000 price for real?? I can't believe someone has the guts to charge us that much for it. Maybe I should have asked for a third key as a negotiating tool.

Last edited by mantar; 03-27-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mantar
I dont understand this. So if my key battery is dead and I dont have my sparekey nearby, I am screwed? HOw will we know when the battery is about to die for the key? What a ridiculous concept.
If the battery in the I-Key fob is dead you only lose the normal operation of the I-key system, namely the keyless entry and push-button start with the fob in your pocket. If this happens, you still have the hidden key in the fob to get you into the car, then you put the fob in the dash slot and your start button will work. The $1,000 is BS.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
THanks usualsuspect. OK, now I am really happy with the key then. At first, I did not understand what was so great about starting the car with a push button. But I love the fact that I dont need take the FOB out to open the door either.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've been shopping for cars since last March and it all began with the Lexus IS.
With the Lexus, the keyfobs need to be purchased in a pair and are approx $250 a set.
Lexus then robs a few more $ for programming them to your car.

I'd assume the Infiniti fobs are similar in price, the $1,000 is surely bogus.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Stranded by intelligent key fob

Very interesting as this issue also happened to me as well on Sunday with my brand new '07G I just picked up on Friday. One intelligent key wouldn't work at all while the other one only worked in the intelligent port hole. Kept getting No Key in both cases. I am not sure what I would have done if I were not home and only had the key that didn't work at all, other than call roadside assistance and wait.

So I brought the car into the dealer on Monday and they indicated they never saw this before and resolved the problem by reprogramming two new keys. In reading this thread, this does raise interesting concerns so I will likely be carrying two keys for a while.

Last edited by bpg1234; 03-27-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added title
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
I've had my car since end of December. So far, no problems with my keys/fobs. After reading this thread, I'm getting a bit paranoid.... Hopefully the issues folks have had are rare. For those who have had trouble - there's been discussion about whether the key got dropped or not, and from what someone said, they did not drop the key (and his wife didn't either). Just pure speculation here.... is it possible that those who've had trouble possibly put their key near a magnetic field (maybe affecting the programminng in the fob)?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I am surprised so many people are having problem with the smart key.
The smart key is not a first year technology, I believes it is very popular
in Europe. The last Gen G35 has smart key (turn key instead of push button)
and the M had it for 3 years. If there are problem I would think the smart key
will either be fixed or discontinued. This is a serious problem, I don't want
to stuck in the car in some cold winter night waiting for roadside assistance.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ksoto
The last Gen G35 has smart key (turn key instead of push button) and the M had it for 3 years..
My Dad's FX45 has the turn ignition instead of the push button, and I think it's a much better design because you can use the metal key to start the car just like a normal ignition.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Update

Update:

I went to the dealer and they tried to reprogram the key which failed so they gave me a new key and reprogrammed both. I spoke to the service manager and he said of the 4 he's seen none have been able to be reprogrammed. They were all DOA. He indicated that he had another customer coming in the next day with the same issue. He asked a few questions as well as they are trying to find a commonality with the failures. I mentioned that they were averaging one failure a month which seemed high and he agreed, but he hasn't heard anything about a TSB or anything.

I considered leaving my second key (or buying a third) in the glovebox. But I'm pretty sure the car won't let you lock the keys in it.

(to answer a few earlier questions: The battery on the key was fine; the key was dead. If had been the battery I would've worked around by putting it in the slot that reads it. The mechanical key can unlock the doors to get you in but there's no mechanical way to start the car.)