G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Im really beating myself up over this one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im really beating myself up over this one

I know I know this has been discussed a million times, and ive read every single thread...I'm posting more to vent lol. I know for a fact that I'm getting the S, probably in about a month or so. I know exactly what color I want, what options, I know everything except do i want auto or manual. Im a very good stick driver and i know this, so when it comes down to which is faster, depends on the driver thing...I will beat the autos. I dont know how the autos in the 07's stand up against manuals but im assuming its the same old thing...(depends on driver). I really am annoying myself so bad over this decesion that its going to end up delaying me getting the car. I did drive an x model that I was selling and it seemed that the auto reacted very nicely...im sure the padle shifters dont help any but there just cool.

Crap im lost.

PS. Another thing thats annoying me now is the possiblity of the sedan getting the 3.7 sometime soon.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Bad Toro
Get the 6MT. I would have gotten the stick if not for my damn wife who won't learn how to drive manuals...

Note to wife: Ariela, if you happen to come across this page: I'm sorry

Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Cool I Agree

I do have an Auto. But I would go with the manual no doubt. The only reason I got the auto is I live in a hilly area and hate having to downshift all the time. But if you want a fun drive get the manual its a little bit of a stiff stick for my taste if I remember correctly test driving it back in 2005, but you could easily get used to it. But if you end up with the auto I think it’s just as good except no 6th gear, which I could imagine you rarely using. But really if you know a stick, and don't think you would have any trouble or regret it. Go with it, its more fun and faster .

Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Waxer
You really need to drive both again and go what's in your heart. My only concern is every magazine I read that test drove the 6MT beat it up pretty bad. So I would drive one to be sure before I decide.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Get both.

6MT sucks in traffic(any manual vehicle)

5AT can be boring sometimes especially after 5 cups of coffee and you don't know what to do with your hands.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
What's your gut tell you? always follow your gut instinct.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:25 PM
well i currently have an 06 coupe 6mt so i know all about the ruff trannys our cars have. But yes almost every single review bashes the manual till no tomorow, that and the fact the sedan is more luxury then the coupe are the 2 things steering me towards the auto. I feel in the sedan the auto fits alot better then in the coupe. But 1 thing i did just read which i had no idea and holy crap does it suck is that the paddle shifters do not move with the steering wheel.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:42 PM
I have the 6MT and I'd say that you should only get the manual if you just plain prefer to shift yourself. That's the only reason to get it. With the current generation of cars, there's hardly any measurable performance advantage to the stick-shift and the milage improvement is only theortical (really, who gets a manual to baby it for best mileage?)

If you're undecided, then get the automatic. If you were not completely convinced from the start that you wanted the 6MT, then you probably won't be happy with it. It's definitely the least impressive part of the G35 package, where-as the G35 sport-automatic is top-notch (for an auto-trans).

For me, a manual transmission was a must-have criteria. I did not even consider anything without one (too bad Lexus). Fortunately the G35 had so many good things going for it, that the dissapointing feel of the manual didn't bump it from my top-pick (over the BMW 335 and Acura TL). So, I do not regret getting the 6MT, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is on-the-fence about which transmission option to get.

/and the cup holders are better in the auto.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
[1]This will turn into another MT vs AT thread
[2]According to MT, if you choose to believe it, the AT is .1 sec. slower than the MT 0-60
[3]The paddles don't suck - I planned to buy a 6MT, but the paddles deliver the ability to choose whatever gear I want quickly, and
[4]the fact that the AT won't shift in manual mode until you tell it to is great
[5]no issue that the paddles don't move with the wheel, you don't usually shift while IN a corner, and I move my hands on the wheel

Drive both. You may find that you still like 6MT, and you'll enjoy it. Alternately the AT may give you the drive you want. Either are great - look at it as a no-lose proposition.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by logik05se
But 1 thing i did just read which i had no idea and holy crap does it suck is that the paddle shifters do not move with the steering wheel.
This is the way it should be. I believe the paddle shifters on all Ferraris are also mounted to the column rather than the steering wheel.

The problem w/ mounting on the steering wheel is, when the wheel is turned and your arms are crossed over, people get confused about which paddle is for upshifting and which is for downshifting.

On the otherhand, when the paddles are mounted to the column, it's always clear that right is upshift and left is downshift.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 AM
BMW's SMG paddles turn with the wheel (I thought that was confusing when I autocrossed an M3 last summer). Ferrari and Maserati's paddles are fixed on the column.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always offer to my friends to let them try out my car. "What, you can't drive stick? Oh well, too bad."

Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Bad Toro
Paddles not moving with the wheels is an invalid argument. First, you shouldn't be shifting (up or down) while turning as it may throw you off, especially on slippery conditions.

Secondly (and probably not less important): Why would you want the paddles to move with the wheels? - After more than 1/2 turn (wheel is now upside down, as well as the shifters), you start losing track of which shifter is which and where they are exactly. Add to that some dangerous emergency situation you find yourself in, and it's just plain trouble. I like them stationary. That way, I always know which one is which, and don't lose track of them. Further, look at the way they are designed. Nissan made them long enough so you can reach them from any position your wheel is at.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEEED
Get the 6MT. I would have gotten the stick if not for my damn wife who won't learn how to drive manuals...

Note to wife: Ariela, if you happen to come across this page: I'm sorry

Married Life 101:
Attaching a pre-emptive apology to a blunt observation that publicly reflects disappointment in wife's attitude...

Nice technique. Excellent risk management approach. Probably futile.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by logik05se
I did drive an x model that I was selling and it seemed that the auto reacted very nicely...im sure the padle shifters dont help any but there just cool.

Crap im lost.
The paddle shifters do aid in the sporty feel and control over the AT. The Sport model has more aggressive programming over the AT. So unless you drive the sport 5AT, you are missing out on what you would actually get.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Im really beating myself up over this one