G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

intelligent key questions ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intelligent key questions ... HELP!

what up guys/gals ... i have a few questions about the intelligent key and it's usage ... (sometimes the manual is harder to understand ... they word it so easy that it's so hard to understand.

anyways ... if the batteries run out or low ... where to you stick the mechanical key to start the vehicle?

what exactly does the intelligent key port do? is it a recharging station? do you keep it in there while driving so that the batteries on the intelligent key is recharging?

what if you forgot that the intelligent key is in the port and you get out ... lock the door from the door handle and opps .... can't get in ...? what happens?

what if you don't have the intelligent key in the port but else where in the car and thinking that you have it in your pocket, and you lock the door walk away and someone comes up to your car wanting to get in and they open the door ... they can basically drive off with your car cause the intelligent key is with your car ... correct?

holla back

Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
All of this has been asked and answered before .... so a Search would help you

Anyway, my answers are EMBEDDED below (in blue font)

Originally Posted by 2007_G35x
what up guys/gals ... i have a few questions about the intelligent key and it's usage ... (sometimes the manual is harder to understand ... they word it so easy that it's so hard to understand.

anyways ... if the batteries run out or low ... where to you stick the mechanical key to start the vehicle?
There is a slot to the left & below the steering -- hard to miss

what exactly does the intelligent key port do? is it a recharging station? do you keep it in there while driving so that the batteries on the intelligent key is recharging?
Nope - the batteries can't be recharged. The port is used only when the iKey's battery is dead

what if you forgot that the intelligent key is in the port and you get out ... lock the door from the door handle and opps .... can't get in ...? what happens?
Can't do -- the button won't lock since the fob is inside the car

what if you don't have the intelligent key in the port but else where in the car and thinking that you have it in your pocket, and you lock the door walk away and someone comes up to your car wanting to get in and they open the door ... they can basically drive off with your car cause the intelligent key is with your car ... correct?
Won't lock -- you'll get the rapid beeps to warn you when you try to lock

holla back

Old 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
awesome ... so when the batteries on the ikey is low ... stick the ikey, with the mechanical key still in the ikey, into the slot and press the start button and everything starts normal ...?

can i get batteries for the ikey from batteries plus or do i have to go back to an infiniti or nissan dealer for the batteries? how often do they run out?

also, when you said that "There is a slot to the left & below the steering -- hard to miss" are you talking about the port or a actual slot where you can only stick the mechanical key?

what do you do if you have personal items you would like to lock up in the trunk but you have to get it service and you don't want the service guys searching in your trunk. Is there a way to just give them the ikey without the intelligent key? can you lock the truck and the access to the truck with the mechanicaly key and take that with you so whoever's servicing your vehicle can't get in?

holla

Old 04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
More in blue

awesome ... so when the batteries on the ikey is low ... stick the ikey, with the mechanical key still in the ikey, into the slot and press the start button and everything starts normal ...?
Yes - that's the idea

can i get batteries for the ikey from batteries plus or do i have to go back to an infiniti or nissan dealer for the batteries? how often do they run out?
It is just regular CR2032 battery -- easy to get in any store like WalMart/RadioShack -- no more than 5 bucks

also, when you said that "There is a slot to the left & below the steering -- hard to miss" are you talking about the port or a actual slot where you can only stick the mechanical key?
The port where you put the iKey when the battery is dead

what do you do if you have personal items you would like to lock up in the trunk but you have to get it service and you don't want the service guys searching in your trunk. Is there a way to just give them the ikey without the intelligent key? can you lock the truck and the access to the truck with the mechanicaly key and take that with you so whoever's servicing your vehicle can't get in?
Yeah -- give them just the iKey -- take the mechanical Key with you. Then lock the trunk using the switch inside the glove box and lock the glove box itself using the mechanical key -- see manual Pg 3-4

holla

Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
can you still get into your car by touching that little pad on the door handle if the battery in your ikey is running low? (considering you have the ikey with you in your pocket)

Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's dependent on how low the battery goes. Digital signals are usually on or off, never an in between.

So when the ikey works, it works, when it doesn't, it never will. You'll just have to deal with using the manual key and scratching up the key port in the door

Old 04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
ok ...

Old 04-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride
You'll just have to deal with using the manual key and scratching up the key port in the door
I use the mechanical key once in a while to close my windows that I've left open. I'm pretty sure the keyhole can stand up to occasional use without any visible signs of wear.

When you unlock a door do you close your eyes and stab the key in the general direction of the door?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
I use the mechanical key once in a while to close my windows that I've left open. I'm pretty sure the keyhole can stand up to occasional use without any visible signs of wear.

When you unlock a door do you close your eyes and stab the key in the general direction of the door?
I think you can use the ikey to do the windows.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Doesn't the car also warn you when the battery in the fob is running low?
I know that the IS I test drove had a warning message when it runs low. (Message where you would normally see "Keynot found")

Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever had the problem before but key lock cylinders that are exposed to the elements (winter in particular) are usually susceptible to corrosion due to the type of materials they are made of. Meaning that you may need to use your key but the lock cylinder wll not operate of the key may not even go into the lock.

I would strongly recommend that the key cylinder in the door be "exersized" and lubricated at least quarterly. For lube I recommend Tri Flow. Shoot it in the lock, put the key in and operate the lock a few times.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I think you can use the ikey to do the windows.
terry

You can use the iKey fob to open the windows -- you cannot close the window using iKey -- you need the mechanical key to close.

Probably some kind of legal a$$ covering by NNA

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
do the g's have a factory alarm system? and if the g's do ... and you're not using the ikey to lock the vehicle and you're using the pad on the handle, does that arm the g or do you have to use the buttons on the ikey fob to arm/disarm the g ...? are there any indication (blinking interior light indicator, etc) to tell you that 'yes ... the car is armed' thingy ...

holla1

Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 AM
do the g's have a factory alarm system? and if the g's do ... and you're not using the ikey to lock the vehicle and you're using the pad on the handle, does that arm the g or do you have to use the buttons on the ikey fob to arm/disarm the g ...? are there any indication (blinking interior light indicator, etc) to tell you that 'yes ... the car is armed' thingy ...

holla1
You really need to read the manual

Yeah it has an alarm system and yes it arms irrespective of what method you use to lock the car (mech key, keyfob press, black button press)

Yes there is an indicator -- it is in the instrument cluster -- near the speedo -- red flashing car like symbol. Lock it and see -- you'll find it.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
the manual is so thick ... i took 2 hrs the other day to scan this manual ... but i guess it will be well worth another look ...

holla and thanks for all the help ..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: intelligent key questions ... HELP!