G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 G35x sedan first test drive (a kind of in depth review)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G35x sedan first test drive (a kind of in depth review)

I took my '06 G coupe in for some warranty work the other day and they ended up giving me a 2007 G sedan all wheel drive as a loaner. I got to drive it for a solid eight hours and got a good feel for the car. here is a breakdown review of what I thought.

Exterior:
I love the new look compared to the previous gen G sedans (not that the previous models look bad). The headlights look great, the tail lights look a hell of a lot better than the previous gen headlights too. The grill is kinda hate it or love it. I personally like it but a few of my friends weren't too fond of it. The color loaner i got was Platinum Graphite (i think it's a new color) which i was not too fond of.

Interior:

Steering wheel controls: I didn't really like the new steering wheel control design. It just looks cheap to me that's all.
Gauges: I like the color scheme of the gauges but the numbers are on the bigger side. IMO the gauges look like they're made for old people. The center display which tells you fuel economy, open doors, etc... is pretty cool, reminds me of the display that the VW's have.
Center Console (radio displays and such): The clock is in a funny position and makes it a little difficult to look down while driving and determine what time it is. On the previous model G sedans and current model G coupes the clock is right in front of us making it easier to read. HVAC/Radio display is pretty nice. it's very easy to use and read, I had no problems adjusting to this. The HVAC unit is also very easy to use and I like how they have a second temp adjustment **** for the dual climate control.
Seats: Honestly I didn't find them as comfortable as my G seats they were a little more stiff and the material seemed like it was a little different but overall they were not bad.

The Drive:
Driving: Wow. The delivery of power was smooth. This car is definately quick. After driving the new G sedan I got back into my car and it definately didn't feel as fast as the new G sedan (i'm now excited to see what the coupes will be able to do). The shifting was smooth, quick, and precise. It almost felt as if the auto tranny knew what i was trying to do and would adapt to that. let me explain, during some "spirited driving" even if i let off the gas for a split second it would hold the gear for me for a few seconds before the shift. During heavy braking the car would "engine brake" meaning the car would drop a gear and help me slow down. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Under normal driving circumstances i couldn't tell whether the car was shifting or not though that's how smooth it was.
Handling: for a 3,700lb car this car handled pretty well. I'm not sure if it's becuase of the AWD but i had no problems taking turns or exit ramps well over the recommended speed limits.
Braking: This car definately stops on a dime. I had no problems decelerating under any circumstances. the brakes are definately crisp, sharp, and responsive.

Overall I liked the car a lot the general appearance, drive, and general comfort. would i buy one? probably not. My gf on the other hand hated the car she said the interior didn't look as nice (i have no idea what she's talking about. I think the interior looks pretty nice) and she said the seats definately weren't as comfortable.

Last edited by raff; 04-09-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
See if you can test drive the Sport and let us know your observations again. The fact that you have a 06 coupe, means the Sport may be better to your liking.

Also what interior color was the loaner you drove?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by timn99
See if you can test drive the Sport and let us know your observations again. The fact that you have a 06 coupe, means the Sport may be better to your liking.

Also what interior color was the loaner you drove?
i'm not exactly sure if they have the S versions as loaners but I will see if i can go test drive one this weekend. The interior color was black and i loved it. it had the brushed aluminum accents.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
The interior pic that you posted is that of the Sport model.

The sport seats are fantastic and most people seem to love it. (it kinda embraces you !)

Old 04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Bad Toro
Great write up. Now go back there and ask to take a sport model for a spin. You'll love the seats - guaranteed.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I will try to give it a shot.