G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod Integration

Hello,

I am thinking of leasing a G35x or a BMW 328i. Technology is key for me, and this is why the G35 is so near and dear to my heart. BMW has an iPod adapter that scrolls the names and titles of songs across it's radio display. From what I can tell, Infiniti does not. All it has is an auxilary port, correct?

Also, will the volume steering wheel controls work with the iPod connected to the aux port?

What kind of cable do I need?

Any other ideas?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mbhforum
Hello,

I am thinking of leasing a G35x or a BMW 328i. Technology is key for me, and this is why the G35 is so near and dear to my heart. BMW has an iPod adapter that scrolls the names and titles of songs across it's radio display. From what I can tell, Infiniti does not. All it has is an auxilary port, correct?

Also, will the volume steering wheel controls work with the iPod connected to the aux port?

What kind of cable do I need?

Any other ideas?
No - and although there's been some talk of a Nissan kit that will do this, haven't seen confirmation.

Yes, it will control the car stereo volume (and the best iPod connection is line out, which cancels the iPod volume control anyway).

If you power your iPod with the concole's power, you may need a ground loop interrupter - got one from Radio Shack.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Great. I was 99% sure there was nothing for scrolling names/artists. But I think the fact I can control the volume through the steering wheel is a nice feature. Anything else I can do with the streering wheel with the iPod? I would imagine not.

Do you have a link or something for the cable I need? Do they sell any cables that connect to the RCA jacks and charge the iPod at the same time? or do I need 2 seperate cables?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mbhforum
Great. I was 99% sure there was nothing for scrolling names/artists. But I think the fact I can control the volume through the steering wheel is a nice feature. Anything else I can do with the streering wheel with the iPod? I would imagine not.

Do you have a link or something for the cable I need? Do they sell any cables that connect to the RCA jacks and charge the iPod at the same time? or do I need 2 seperate cables?
Belkin has a good cable that combines charging with line-out - you can find it at their web site (and remarkably, I found one at Wal-Mart after unsuccessfully searching Best Buy, Circuit City etc.)

I was using a Monster cable to connect to the RCA jacks, but couldn't find one that included video, so the one I'm using now is the basic white one you can find everywhere. Note that the iPod video won't plan video through the line out, you have to switch back to the headphone jack.

And an iPod video WILL play video through the G's screen, but only when the car is stopped and the parking brake on. Surprisingly good picture too.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 PM
I thought about using the RCA jacks myself, but the console is just too small to fit everything in there, so...

I decided to just utilize the 6-disc changer and play mp3 CDs. Yes, it would have been nice if the G has ipod integration, but, by NOT having it I have save a few hundred dollars.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
I don't use my ipod for video, so i have one of these:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

and
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

The ground loop isolater comes with a 1/8" to rca adapter, that I use to connect to the belkin

I also have a 12v y-splitter so that I can connect both the belkin and my motorola phone charger in my center console. I have no problem fitting all of that stuff in there and still fit the tray in the console.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by dopey
I don't use my ipod for video, so i have one of these:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

and
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

The ground loop isolater comes with a 1/8" to rca adapter, that I use to connect to the belkin

I also have a 12v y-splitter so that I can connect both the belkin and my motorola phone charger in my center console. I have no problem fitting all of that stuff in there and still fit the tray in the console.
Thanks everyone. Just so I have this right. You are using the Belkin cable to simply charge the phone, but this does not allow you to play your music through the RCA jacks. You still need the RCA Cables, and in this case your using the Ground Loop adapter which I am assuming provides better audio because it eliminates the power noise? What gets hooked up the iPod then? The Ground Loop Adapter or the Belkin? It looks like to me the Belkin's audio out is only used for their FM transmitter or cassette.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 AM
err. we're talking ipod not phone right?

The Belkin adapter has an iPod dock connector that pulls audio off the ipod and powers the ipod. It also has an 1/8" minijack socket with a built in amp (it has a little volume dial).

The groundloop isolator that i linked to from radioshack is basically an RCA cable with the isolator installed inline. One end of the RCA jacks to into the G's input, and the other end goes into a 1/8" minijack adapter that connects into the Belkin car adapter.

From there you play something, tweak the belkin's volume to the proper level, and leave it be. Then you use the car's volume to control the standard stereo volume, and the ipod itself to navigate your music library.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Explained very well, thank you.