G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Windshield Probs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Probs

Driving home today and damn! a scratch in the arc swipe from the wiper...possible stone or something small caused it. This baby of mine [ '07 G35S] is less than a month old and already there are numerous chips, granted very small, but enough ti annoy one and now this arc scratch.
Does anyone else see this happening a lot? Is this glass softer than usual ?
Is there a remedy besides replacing the windscreen every year or so?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never thought it had anything to do with the glass itself, but since the beginning, I've had this sometimes annoying chip direct in my line of sight. Nothing major, and if you look at the objects ahead of you, you won't notice it. Still, I've noticed other very minor chips, too. Is Infiniti infamous for their windshields?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Bad Toro
James (my tint installer) mentioned a new clear film technology that is applied on the outside of the glass and act as a "clear bra") for your windshield. If you need more info, you can PM him at JamesTint.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two choices as far as windshields go. Hard: very resistant to chips, but very brittle; or soft: very resistant to cracks but chips easily.

I'd much rather have a soft windshield, and not have to replace it all the time. My Toyota has a hard windshield, and that thing will crack if even a small pebble hits it.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM
The Windshields are just bad

Guys, I have said this on other threads alos, but i sincerely think that the infiniti windshields are terrible and low quality. I have never had rock chip problems with my prior cars in the past. I think it is time for a class action.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by sameerg
Guys, I have said this on other threads alos, but i sincerely think that the infiniti windshields are terrible and low quality. I have never had rock chip problems with my prior cars in the past. I think it is time for a class action.
I don't think they're necessarily low quality, i've had my fair share of chips and cracks not only on this car but on several models across different brands. They're all relatively the same.

As Tiger mentioned above, there are two types of glass - hard and soft. I, too, would rather get a soft glass that will chip (easily fixed and a bit more affordable with less downtime) than a hard one that will constantly crack--you can stop the spread of the crack, but it'll still be there.

Nissan/Infiniti windshields seem to be a mixed bag--some "feel" soft, others are hard, and even with the same model the type of OEM glass the dealership uses vary. Which leads me to believe there can't be that much variance if Nissan sources these from legitimate manufacturers, so it could very well just be the type of use and abuse the glass gets.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sameerg
Really? I've had rock chips in every windshield of every car I've ever owned (which includes replacement winshields), including Hondas, Toyotas, Nissan/Infiniti, VW, etc.

Last edited by G35Now!; 07-24-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
^ same here. I actually had to replace the windshield on my wifes car on the very second day. Huge rock chip front of the driver. My wife asked me to bring the car home for her. Brand new car. So I did. I was on the HWY and far away from all the cars. At least that's what I thought. Then bang.

Cut it short first night talk to my wife. She asked me if I could get to replace the windshield for her. Next day windshield replaced. $$$$$ $$$$$ Not really much since it is a Ford.

On the other hand I had harder rock hit on my G and no big chipping yet just tiny little.

Overall I am happy with the windshield the G has.

tg

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
small world huh...u just noticed my small small chip on mine yestersay...and today i noticed this thread.

its not a biggie as long as it dont grow

Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tiger
There are two choices as far as windshields go. Hard: very resistant to chips, but very brittle; or soft: very resistant to cracks but chips easily.

I'd much rather have a soft windshield, and not have to replace it all the time. My Toyota has a hard windshield, and that thing will crack if even a small pebble hits it.
I have never heard of this and I have been installing autoglass for 10+ years.

Your windshield is actually 2 pieces of glass with a sheet of laminate in between them and there are no different types of strength.

As far as your scratch goes you will just have to replace it...buffing or polishing will not work on wiper blade burns or scratches and the 3M window film is something new but I have yet to see how it holds up to daily road abuse.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Ian
I have never heard of this and I have been installing autoglass for 10+ years.
It's a fact that glass can be made hard and brittle, or soft and flexible. Although, for the most part this is caused by variances in material quality and production processes, but the conditions do exist.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
It's a fact that glass can be made hard and brittle, or soft and flexible. Although, for the most part this is caused by variances in material quality and production processes, but the conditions do exist.
not for automotive windshields that have to meet D.O.T. safety requirements...your windshield is designed to keep you in your car when your in an accident so manufactures can't skimp on materials

Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by G35Ian
not for automotive windshields that have to meet D.O.T. safety requirements...your windshield is designed to keep you in your car when your in an accident so manufactures can't skimp on materials
very good point...