G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Weird Keyfob problem..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird Keyfob problem..

Anyways I just got back from school and tried to lock my car with the keyfob and nothing happened - no horn, didn't lock and I tried all the other buttons on the keyfob and nothing happened. However, the button on the doorhandle still works as it unlocks/locks no problem when i push the button on the handle with the keyfob in my pocket. So I guess the keyfob battery isn't dead? What's wrong with it? I tried my other keyfob and all the buttons on it are working fine. Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hullio
Anyways I just got back from school and tried to lock my car with the keyfob and nothing happened - no horn, didn't lock and I tried all the other buttons on the keyfob and nothing happened. However, the button on the doorhandle still works as it unlocks/locks no problem when i push the button on the handle with the keyfob in my pocket. So I guess the keyfob battery isn't dead? What's wrong with it? I tried my other keyfob and all the buttons on it are working fine. Thanks
sounds like a dead battery

Old 04-25-2007, 04:00 PM
gao
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if these key fob issues are hit-or-miss things. I had my car since Nov, and haven't seen this yet. Can those who have this problem chime in if they regularly use the fob to remotely open/lock the doors? Battery issue??

Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
sounds like a dead battery
A dead battery already!? Also, if it was dead, wouldn't the button on the door handle not communicate with my keyfob then? Also, the car still recongnizes the keyfob as I don't have to plug the keyfob into the slot inside the car and the button on the door still work.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see that these batteries are not lasting as long as expected, manufacturers often find cost savings by picking up cheap batteries for their OEM products. It's just like the batteries that come with a new TV for the remote, they rarely ever test at the full rated voltage. This being said, I haven't had any issues with my batter yet and I picked up my car in the 4th week of November. I think I'm going to buy a spare battery and keep it with my manual just to be safe.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the button on the door does not need the keyfob... it is directly linked to the lock itself.. the keyfob is for emitting a fequency in order to open it..

do you mean the door is locked and you walk up and it will unlock for you?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Decided to work again..

Ok this is weird...the keyfob is working all of a sudden . I just pushed the lock button and heard a honk from thr G35. Weird...I wonder what stopped from working in the first place.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Ok this is weird...the keyfob is working all of a sudden . I just pushed the lock button and heard a honk from thr G35. Weird...I wonder what stopped from working in the first place.

That's exactly what happened over here..... One day the keyfob worked and the buttons worked, the next only the buttons, and now they both work again! Maybe it was the cold....

Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
As an ECE, I'd blame it on a mechanical failure : )

Seriously though, it does happen sometimes - just intermittent mechanical contact problems in stuff like this. Possibly overlooked, something you wouldn't pick up in initial QC, or dust or something shorting traces - you never really know (well, unless you pop it open and play...).

The only problem I've had with my keyfob so far was one time having a detailer leave the key on the windshield where the AC intake was. I couldn't find it in the cabin but the car would still start, so I figured it was wedged underneath a seat - when I got back to campus, I looked all around to find it sitting there on top of the AC intake. So lesson learned - stuff stays in place in that nook at 80 mph on the highway if you're lucky!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I wonder if the dead battery problem is an issue of where people are storing their I-keys?.

There was a little blip in the owners manual about not storing the key near a computer of anything that may emit a FR frequency, as it may "activate the key?" thereby running the battery down?

I don't recall offhand where but I do remember something to that effect.

I store my key away from anything electronic on a keyrack in the middle of the house. Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
happened to me too

this has happened to me a couple times. first time I freaked a bit, but realized that it self corrects once you start the car and stop it again.

its not the battery, its not the cold (am in california). its just wierd.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
You are all wrong. It depends where you parked your car. For instance, there are large radio towers in my area, and when I park my car within a mile of them, the frequency interfers with the key fob function. As soon as I get out of the area, the fob/signal works fine. I can alomst trace the area to find where the signal is most strong. By the way, thank goodness my house is not in that area, because I am sure these frequencies are doing more then just interfering with my key fob!!!!

Look at your surrounds, see if there are high tension wires, radio towers, cell phone towers, etc., and you might notice the same problem as I have.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
I think it's hit or miss. I had the car 2 months. Car is always parked in the garage. I get in one morning with the key in my pocket and I get the message that I don't have the key. I go in and get the spare and it works.

Thinking it was the battery, I go and get a replacement. New battery in, and it still doesn't work. I put the old battery back in and guess what. it's been working since, about 2 months since then.

Next trip to the dealer, I'll ask for a replacement.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Regarding this post and your original, I've had the same thing occur.

I've also had the infamous 'loss of programming' happen and had to get the key replaced (see other post).

However, the two aren't related, since your scenario has happened to me with both my spare key and my new key. It just happened again to me yesterday. Here's what I think happens (in my case anyway):

When it has happened before, I know I've gotten out of the car, locked the door with the button on the door handle. Then walked away about 15 feet and thought to myself "hey, did I really lock that door?" (c'mon, you've all done it ). So I tried to use the keyfob button to lock it, and nothing happen...no horn, no lights, no beep. So I hit all the unlock/lock/unlock just to see if it's working, and when I got back to the car it was unlocked. But the door handle button worked so I locked it again and left it.

So yesterday I did it on purpose. I made sure I locked it, walked away about 15 feet and hit lock on the keyfob. Sure enough, no horn/light etc. Hit unlock, still no reaction from the car, but walked back to the car and and it was indeed unlocked.

I'm wondering if there's some timing/programming thing that prevents the external alerts from operating for some period of time after you've manually locked the door with the door handle button (even though the lock/unlock function actually works from the fob - you just don't hear it).

Which leads me to another thought...does the panic button on the fob also not work for some period of time. That wouldn't be good. Anyway, there's some input based on my similar experience...more testing needed. If this is what it is, many may never have experienced it since they wouldn't usually try to lock it twice in a short period of time with two different devices. Then again, it could be an intermittent thing.

Anyone else have this experience or try this? Treacherous...anything in the system that you've come across?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I have the same issue once in awhile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weird Keyfob problem..