G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Compactflash: How to fill an 8 GB card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compactflash: How to fill an 8 GB card

So you bought a G35 and you're still stunned at how incredibly shortsighted the engineers were who came up with the "number of files" limitation. 512 songs? Dude, that's like one six-hundredth of a collection!

So I came up with an idea to fill up an 8 GB card with songs. What I did was take each album, and glue the mp3's together into a single mp3. So instead of 10 albums with 10 songs each equaling 100 files, I have 10 files for 10 albums.

Neat, huh? So you don't cut into your 512 limit too far and you can have enough files left over to have a "loose songs" directory with some individual songs.

So how do you glue the songs together? You use http://mp3merge.netfirms.com/. It glues mp3's together into a single mp3 without reencoding them or reducing quality (engineers call this "non-lossy"). It's a freeware program and I've emailed with the author about how it works and he said the whole point of making it was that it was non-lossy.

It works really well - even files with different bitrates glue together and run great in the G35.

So this is not a perfect solution for those of you who wish the file capacity was bigger, but it is a creative solution that will get more of your tunes into your car on one CompactFlash card.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Cool, good idea. The only problem I would have with that is if I wanted to listen to a specific track on an album, say track 6, I would have to listen to the previous 5 tracks first since they are virtually one big MP3.

For me, my 2 2GB cards hold more than enough music. I've got approximately 30 hours of MP3s on my CF cards, I can't really imagine needing more than that.

But, great idea for those with larger capacity CF cards!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Cool, good idea. The only problem I would have with that is if I wanted to listen to a specific track on an album, say track 6, I would have to listen to the previous 5 tracks first since they are virtually one big MP3.
Use the Seek button to fast forward.... NEWB!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah; kinda like the digital version of 8-track.
For those unfamiliar with 8-track: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo_8

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by SPEEED
Use the Seek button to fast forward.... NEWB!

Nah, fast forward is too 80s for me.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Bad Toro
Nah, fast forward is too 80s for me.
I thought you were in your thirties. Man, you're an old fart.

I should be talking... just a year or two behind you.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 AM
not a bad idea at all...but the rewind and fast foward feature on the cf sucks...its very slow at first then after holding it for about 2 seconds becomes extremly jumpy.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by SPEEED
I thought you were in your thirties. Man, you're an old fart.

I should be talking... just a year or two behind you.
I'll be 35 years old in 3.5 weeks!

Time to trade in my G for a Buick!

NOT!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be 35 years old in 3.5 weeks!

Time to trade in my G for a Buick!

NOT!!!
This one almost looks like the '08 G coupe.

More pics: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/buick-riviera-concept/

Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorn
So I came up with an idea to fill up an 8 GB card with songs. What I did was take each album, and glue the mp3's together into a single mp3. So instead of 10 albums with 10 songs each equaling 100 files, I have 10 files for 10 albums.Neat, huh? So you don't cut into your 512 limit too far and you can have enough files left over to have a "loose songs" directory with some individual songs. So how do you glue the songs together? You use http://mp3merge.netfirms.com/. It glues mp3's together into a single mp3 without reencoding them or reducing quality (engineers call this "non-lossy").
I like this idea.

I actually prefer the CFs over the music box as one can EASILY show/select music by artist (assuming its stored that way)…and its available for display/use even while driving.( I am less concerned about not seeing the specific songs). The CF card is better than the Music Box in this regard, as its very hard to quickly see a list of artists on the Music Box…it’s a few steps until you get there…and worse, its greyed out once you drive.

What I have done to date is put all my music on the Music Box (for which I have original audio CDs), with the intent of putting the rest on CF cards. I have one 2GB card now, and was going to buy a few more. But one (or two) 8 GB cards is even better.

Doing the math , assuming at 3 MB per song, an 8 GB card hold about 2600 songs. As this exceeds 512, one needs to create the suggested mega mp3 files. Assuming say 10-20 songs per artist, that’s one 30-60MB file per atrist, or 133-266 files (well within limits). I have not used this software so I am not sure how much work this really entails.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I have another idea....instead of the entire album as one MP3, is it possible that you can break down the CD into three- or four-song MP3s? That way you needn't have to scroll through the entire album to find the song you like.....

Old 05-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
I have another idea....instead of the entire album as one MP3, is it possible that you can break down the CD into three- or four-song MP3s? That way you needn't have to scroll through the entire album to find the song you like.....
Yep! That works great. I've done that too. You can also take "mini-mixes" that you like - progressions of songs that you like to listen to in a certain order, and join them too.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Anyone know of a tool that can do this for WMA?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 AM
We have some new folks who haven't seen this thread so I'm bumping it up.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 AM
you could make some nice techno/house tracks like that, but again, for individual songs it's eh.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Compactflash: How to fill an 8 GB card