G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

I Sprung A Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Sprung A Leak

and it isn't the engine. I think there is a problem with the sunroof. Was driving in the rain with my sunroof popped for ventilation, and after a while, water fell on my foot. This is the third time it's happened, and both times I sent the car in and they found nothing.

This time, after I got wet, about 5 mins later, my cruise control light in the dash went on, and the SET light flashes about 5 times a second. The engine is trying to set a new point, and it does it when I am braking, also. After two days of being in no rain, I still have the cruise issue. I can feel it and see the RPM gauge flutter as I decelerate.

Anyone else have any leakage problems?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Why not close the sunroof completely and see if it still leaks?
Am I missing something here?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by CarNutz
Why not close the sunroof completely and see if it still leaks?
Am I missing something here?
I did, and I don't think so, but there was some minor dampness in the area. So I'm not sure. it also hasn't rained all that much here since I had the problem the first time.

Dealership, when I told them I thought it was the sunroof, didn't even check it time number one and two. They did water tests elsewhere and said they took the dash off and found nothing. Of course, each time they only had the car for a day, so I don't know how thorough they were.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Query - why were you driving with the sunroof even cracked in the rain? I would think that is inviting water to enter the car. Maybe this is just something I haven't done before. LOL Am I the only one confused by this part of the story?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Query - why were you driving with the sunroof even cracked in the rain? I would think that is inviting water to enter the car. Maybe this is just something I haven't done before. LOL Am I the only one confused by this part of the story?
I don't like running the AC if I don't need to. It was 65 out. Besides, I've never had this problem in any other sunroof car.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Just got off phone with dealer's service manager.

He just told me that if there was a sunroof leak, it would be more likely to go where the lights and sunroof motor are, and not down the pillar to under my dash.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Was it just a drizzle or all out hard rain ??

Did you do any kind of wiring mod in the car that required you to drill a hole in the firewall or anywhere else for that matter ?

Is the car 100% stock ?

Do you get a leak when you use an automatic car wash ?? (not that I condone washing Gs that way - but a good test nonetheless) !!

Since your feet are getting wet, is the possible source of the leak somewhere on the floorboard / underbody ? Did you do any work on the underside ?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by max2k1
Was it just a drizzle or all out hard rain ??

Did you do any kind of wiring mod in the car that required you to drill a hole in the firewall or anywhere else for that matter ?

Is the car 100% stock ?

Do you get a leak when you use an automatic car wash ?? (not that I condone washing Gs that way - but a good test nonetheless) !!

Since your feet are getting wet, is the possible source of the leak somewhere on the floorboard / underbody ? Did you do any work on the underside ?
It was a drizzle to decent rain, but nowhere near a storm. No mods, totally stock, I've never touched a thing. No leaks from a car wash (my buddy owns a soft cloth wash, only wash worth going to).

If you reach under the steering column, the dash has cotton padding on it. This padding is wet when this happens. Water fell on my foot when it was over the brake pedal.

First time, I was on the brake when water hit. Second and third, was not on the brake, but coasting, foot off the gas.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Why didn't you take it in to the dealer when the stuffing under the column was wet? If my $40k car was leaking and there was proof via wet junk under the dash I would have driven straigt to the dealer adn had them fix it before leaving the place. I guess this would only work if your car was still under warranty.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by macr6
Why didn't you take it in to the dealer when the stuffing under the column was wet? If my $40k car was leaking and there was proof via wet junk under the dash I would have driven straigt to the dealer adn had them fix it before leaving the place. I guess this would only work if your car was still under warranty.
Sadly, it always happens on saturday night, dealer isn't open on sundays it's under warranty still. trust me, i'm not one for waiting.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed myself for reasons I can't explain, that the rubber seal on the drivers side door is coming off.

Evidenced by the fact that it doesn't fit right up to the window frame. I can't quite seem to tuck it back into place.

This could be a source of the leak?

Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
use a hose to test it!! your crazy waiting for rain

Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride
I've noticed myself for reasons I can't explain, that the rubber seal on the drivers side door is coming off.

Evidenced by the fact that it doesn't fit right up to the window frame. I can't quite seem to tuck it back into place.

This could be a source of the leak?
My new 35 X is doing this also.... Its like its tore or something,, can't seem to tuck it back in. this is right on top by corner.....

Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Triton3.5
My new 35 X is doing this also.... Its like its tore or something,, can't seem to tuck it back in. this is right on top by corner.....
mine too

Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Triton3.5
About the only thing I can think of that may have caused this is when I was using the power washer.

Maybe the pressure of the water was enough to lift the rubber seal?.

It's really hard to tuck back in without special tools, the bit of rubber that anchors it in the windowframe is like a "T" shape with a little lip on the end.

I tried with a fibreglass prybar and eventually swearing my way to my hands and still couldn't get it back in. I may leave this for the dealership...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Sprung A Leak