G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Major HDD and Bluetooth Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major HDD and Bluetooth Problems

Hello everyone. First time poster here. I picked up a 2007 G35x with Nav package in Feb of 2007. I am about to hit the 5k mark. The first three months with this car were flawless. It is a truly great machine.

I've had a couple tech problems in the last three weeks and I am curious if anyone has encountered the same:

1. Three weeks ago, the bluetooth phone integration (Blackberry) completely stopped working. It worked perfectly for the first few months and then completely stopped. I heard a popping sound (like interference on a speaker) when I got in the car a few weeks ago and it hasn't worked since. I've re-"paired" it several times. It goes through the "pairing" process with no problems and detects my phone. My phone is displayed on the phone list. When I go to use it, the display screen says that there is no phone paired. I've tried several different phones and it does not work. I've been in the diagnosis mode and everything appears normal.

2. This morning I started the car and noticed that the display screen was locked on the Infiniti boot-up screen. Even when I shifted to R, which normally activates the back-up camera display, the Infiniti logo stayed on the screen. After several minutes I got a message along the lines of "HDD Error Contact Dealership." I ran the diagnosis again and everything is listed as normal.

Currently the NAV is not functioning, the voice control is dead, the in-dash CD player does not function, the CF card does not function, and the music box does not function. (the radio, aux, and changer do function). After a very long boot-up, the screen will eventually come on, but will only allow me to access the radio, aux, changer, and settings function. Hitting the "Map" button locks the whole thing up. When the screen is locked you can't see radio controls, HVAC controls, etc. It is miserable.

If it is an HDD problem, I have a feeling that they will swap out the whole drive. I had about 50 albums in the Music Box and a full address book of Nav destinations. I am going to be pissed if I have to start again from scratch. Does anyone know if the info on the old drive can be transferred to a replacement?

Has anyone else run into these problems? If so, what was the solution? How long did it take the dealership to get the parts in, perform the repairs, etc?

I am waiting on the dealership to return my call. I'll update on the diagnosis I get.

Last edited by JPMG35x; 06-01-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 06-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
There was another person here (and I can't remember for the life of me who it was right now) that had to have their HD replaced and they lost all of their albums, voicetags, etc. The caveat is that the HD is part of an AV control unit, so your dealer will replace the entire AV control unit. If your HD needs replaced, unfortunately, you'll lose everything.

I hope your dealer fixes everything up for you.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I had mine replaced due to constant loud static. They replaced the whole audio unit. I got a new XM radio ID, and lost all my stored nav and phone entries as well as my musicbox downloads. Fortunately, I have an ipod so I only lost 4 songs on the musicbox that I used to test it out. There's no way to transfer the data between harddrives, so you're pretty much out of luck. It took about a week to get my audio unit. It should have taken a day but the dealer screwed up and didn't fax in all the information necessary to get the right part shipped out and had to re-place the order.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Thank you all for your insights. You are correct that the problem was the AV unit. They diagnosed the problem at the dealership last week. It took a week to get the AV unit in. I took the car in and they replaced the unit this morning. So far, so good. All systems are functioning properly. This is the first AV unit they have had to replace. The maintenance department told me that they have had a number of Gs in for sunroof flashing repair, but no major problems.

The hard drive is a part of the AV unit. There is currently no way to transfer data between hard drives. I lost all of my voicetags, phonebook entries, and about 50 CDs worth of music from the music box. Hopefully the problem will not recur.

Thanks and happy driving.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
There was another person here (and I can't remember for the life of me who it was right now) that had to have their HD replaced and they lost all of their albums, voicetags, etc. The caveat is that the HD is part of an AV control unit, so your dealer will replace the entire AV control unit. If your HD needs replaced, unfortunately, you'll lose everything.

I hope your dealer fixes everything up for you.
Garnet,

I believe you are referring to my issue with the CD player not ejecting CD's. The dealer replaced the AV Unit, and I had to reload everthing including Nav settings, voicetags, phonebook entries, bluetooth phone pairing, radio presets, and all of my 30+ albums that were loaded to the HD.

Although it took me a few days to get everything reset again, I have not had any problems since they replaced my AV Unit (which was about 2-months ago).

I must confess, that my G35S is just about the best car I have ever owned.

Regards,