Issues with 89 Octane?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altersys
mine would have been a bit different

hehe
Yeah, I know. I'm a bit of a pushover. I guess my philosophy is: pick your battles . Besides, if a little bit of innocent lying lets me keep driving nice cars in peace, then that's the way to go

Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
ten-four. guess i have no patience for lack of logic. it's my fatal flaw

Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 PM
NUCLEI-G
this is a useless thread.. If the car manual says use 91. Why do you post something like this? there are many threads on the Internet just like this.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by infi07g35x
this is a useless thread.. If the car manual says use 91. Why do you post something like this? there are many threads on the Internet just like this.
Actually that is a good point

Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Spoon!
You're missing something even more disturbing. Why are people that have bought/leased a $40k car trying to put 87 in? Am I missing something?

If you can't afford the gas, get a Prius.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by infi07g35x
+11tyBN

Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
RPL
I only put 89 in my car. I doubt 91 would make a difference. Anything over 91 would probably decrease performance, IMO.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Spoon!
Originally Posted by RPL
I only put 89 in my car. I doubt 91 would make a difference. Anything over 91 would probably decrease performance, IMO.
I'm laughing at you, really.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G-girl
For the few cents you save and the difference in price between 89 and 91 is not worth having to pay for a damage engine if it ever does occur.

Always put minimum 91 on mine. I put 92 a couple of times and it ran better.
Where do you find 92 in the Bay Area? And I see that you're browsing in the '07 thread. Welcome!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 PM
not trying to start a flame war...

but the manual does not say you HAVE to use 91. It says recommend, not require but recommend. So again to each his/her own. The doctor recommends you eat less fat and drink moderately also, but do you do that? I know I don't and I value my body much more than my car.

I have a question for people that bought a G35 that was a rental car or other cars that "require" premium gas that was a rental car. Do you think the renters used premium gas when they filled up? Did the rental car companies require it? Because of those reasons Infiniti if they want to sell (and they do BTW) sell their cars to rental car companies who then sell them to people through dealers and the like, cannot design a car that would have long term damage due to using a lower grade gas. Sure performance decrease... fine but not long term damage... because of the knock sensors.

The knock sensors detect and compensate for the gas and life goes on. Sure some performance decrease... but if you don't care, you don't care again no big deal, its your car. The people that care about the 10 or 15 more horsepower they potentially could get using a higher grade gas, drive their car to the max and then complain that they get 13 MPG. I have tons of fun driving my car and I like it. It is plenty fast for me. I use 87 and I don't hear a knock in my car or notice anything weird with it. I had a VW Passat 1.8T, which was a turbo engine and it said 91 again for it, because it was a turbo engine. I used it for 6 years no problems, VW said everything was fine as far as oxygen sensors and everything else in the car. Engine was in great condition when I sold it. Again to each his own. If someone wants to use a lower grade gas... so be it. It won't damage your car, and whoever says it will , really does not know what they are talking about...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7924659/
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...emiumgas_x.htm
http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/arti...ium-fuel.shtml
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...3/article.html

Old 06-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I repeat one last time.

knock is ping
ping is detonation
detonation is thermal damage.

period.

the duration of detonation obviously influences the extent of damage (and whether the damage is relevant or not). running low octane gas over a long period of time means tripping the knock sensor over and over again, which can only be tripped by, guess what, knocking.

the "compensation" that the engine does is not magic, and it's not like a human body... it's much less sophisticated.

you were lucky with your VW. that's one data point. sweet.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 AM
RPL
Originally Posted by theacolyte
I'm laughing at you, really.
Why? Do you any evidence to disprove my theory? Go on a dyno with both octanes and tell me if there is a difference.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 AM
The engine is designed to use premium fuel. Knock sensors are there to protect the car from detonation, not so you can run regular fuel full time.
The knock sensor has to detect knock before it retards timing to control the knock. Knock has already occured and keeps occuring as the ECM looks to return timing to its DESIGNED point. So what you have is a knock being sensed then timing is pulled, then back to its pre-set state and it happens all over again. You can't always hear knock.. especially on a luxury car like the G where you have all kinds of engine sound damping.
Those links you provided are worthless.. written by journalists who need to write to live and will say anything.. It applies to those whos cars run on regular and whose owners think they are getting better performance by using premium.. not the other way around.
Don't you think Infiniti would like to have you use regular? It is a selling point for them... Pre-detonation is destructive.. knock sensors help but over time damage will occur.

Originally Posted by mkreddy
but the manual does not say you HAVE to use 91. It says recommend, not require but recommend. So again to each his/her own. The doctor recommends you eat less fat and drink moderately also, but do you do that? I know I don't and I value my body much more than my car.

I have a question for people that bought a G35 that was a rental car or other cars that "require" premium gas that was a rental car. Do you think the renters used premium gas when they filled up? Did the rental car companies require it? Because of those reasons Infiniti if they want to sell (and they do BTW) sell their cars to rental car companies who then sell them to people through dealers and the like, cannot design a car that would have long term damage due to using a lower grade gas. Sure performance decrease... fine but not long term damage... because of the knock sensors.

The knock sensors detect and compensate for the gas and life goes on. Sure some performance decrease... but if you don't care, you don't care again no big deal, its your car. The people that care about the 10 or 15 more horsepower they potentially could get using a higher grade gas, drive their car to the max and then complain that they get 13 MPG. I have tons of fun driving my car and I like it. It is plenty fast for me. I use 87 and I don't hear a knock in my car or notice anything weird with it. I had a VW Passat 1.8T, which was a turbo engine and it said 91 again for it, because it was a turbo engine. I used it for 6 years no problems, VW said everything was fine as far as oxygen sensors and everything else in the car. Engine was in great condition when I sold it. Again to each his own. If someone wants to use a lower grade gas... so be it. It won't damage your car, and whoever says it will , really does not know what they are talking about...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7924659/
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...emiumgas_x.htm
http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/arti...ium-fuel.shtml
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...3/article.html

Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks

Thank you all for the advice. I have had numerous cars which have had high octane requirements and I have always followed the manufactures recommendations but sometimes my wife doesn't...
For those that thought this was a worthless post then there is a very simple solution, don't read it and get back to work.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RPL
Why? Do you any evidence to disprove my theory? Go on a dyno with both octanes and tell me if there is a difference.
Do you know what the different octanes mean?

I hope you don't get a turbo car... I'm sure you'd end up putting regular in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Issues with 89 Octane?