G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First service coming up...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have about 100 miles left. To the dealership is about 60 miles so I'll be about 40~50 miles early.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone do the 1000 mile oil change? Heard it's good to get all the engine-break-in crap out?

Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Robizzle
Anyone do the 1000 mile oil change? Heard it's good to get all the engine-break-in crap out?
I believe its only if you drove your car like it was stolen.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Robizzle
Not necessary in todays engines.. new manufacturing techniques allow for a much cleaner engine. Engine blocks are cast in sand molds.. in the old days.. sand could still be found in the block after assembly..

Some car makers add moly and other agents to the oil for break-in purposes. So changing the oil early is not a good thing on some cars...
Honda does this.. not sure about Nissan. Moly lube is used during assembly on various parts and mixes with the oil.
So leaving the first oil fill in for 3 -4k miles is a good thing..
The filter is there to catch any shavings or debris...
When the Chevy V8 was first introduced in the 50's.. they had no oil filter... that was soon changed when many engines failed shortly after.

Last edited by CarNutz; 06-21-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Just got my first service and it took about 45 minutes...Competition Infinity, Smithwon, NY ...the best. Not the dealer from where I bought my car but closer that the deler/buyer. They also handled the service for my previous G35 and they were not that cars location of purchaseeither. The only thing missing was that the bagels ae gone in favor of Chewey Chip cookies....prefer the bagels.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mann9
Just got my first service and it took about 45 minutes...Competition Infinity, Smithwon, NY ...the best. Not the dealer from where I bought my car but closer that the deler/buyer. They also handled the service for my previous G35 and they were not that cars location of purchaseeither. The only thing missing was that the bagels ae gone in favor of Chewey Chip cookies....prefer the bagels.
Haha. Yeah I have mine scheduled at 10 today... I hope it doens't take that long... Oh yeah, I gotta tell them about the sunroof thing (Those folding rubber pieces on the sides. One is gone and the other one keeps falling out..) while I'm there.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok I'm normally a do-it myselfer but this is my first new car. Around here Ventura County(cal) the dealer charges something like 50 bucks for an oil change
after shopping around a jiffy lube will do it for 34 bucks. They keep records for a few years to prove that you have been maintaining it. Just an option, and yea ill stand there and watch them do it, not always the smartest of and carefull guys working there, but same thing goes with the dealer. worth saving 16 bucks and no appointment. . .i guess thats up to you.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I would not go to the dealership just for an oil change. Unless you don't mind paying a premium for regular dino oil and "OEM" certified parts.

I recommend going to buy your own oil and filter and DYI.

I swear by AMSOil and recommend the K&N oil filter. There are a couple of K&N oil filters that are compatible with the G35 so just get the bigger one. I just have a hard time justifying the $16 price tag for an oil filter that AMSOil charges for theirs.

If you don't have the time or desire to do your own work, see what the dealer will charge you for labor. The place I go to out here in OC just charges me 10 bucks for labor.

Good luck buddy.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow.. infiniti charges $50 for an oil change?
i've never paid anything over $30 for my previous accord(v6) or prelude.

but then again.. local shops don't provide free pastries, coffees, and the car wash.
guess $50 is not too bad after all.

pastry & coffee: $5.00
car wash: $15.00
oil change: $30.00
having it all done one stop: priceless.....

DOMO ......why is domo-kun dancing here anyways...

Last edited by isbn1975; 06-21-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
yeah i guess for some if they look at it that way it may be justified,
but for me change my oil and im out! I wash my own cars ive heard too many horror stories with dealers washings cars. . .not one scratch on mine and im at 4500 miles just rock chips, and the coffee and donuts. . .i dont eat that crap!
to each his own :-)
just giving the original poster options. . ..

by the way what are your dealers charging for a oil change?

haha this is funny quite a fuss for changing our oil!

DOMO

Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
This certainly can be a DIY project, but if you have an S be prepared to pull off the lower engine shield to access the drain plug and filter. This will definetly take more time on your back than if you had a lift like the dealer does.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by isbn1975
wow.. infiniti charges $50 for an oil change?
i've never paid anything over $30 for my previous accord(v6) or prelude.

but then again.. local shops don't provide free pastries, coffees, and the car wash.
guess $50 is not too bad after all.

pastry & coffee: $5.00
car wash: $15.00
oil change: $30.00
having it all done one stop: priceless.....

DOMO ......why is domo-kun dancing here anyways...
I can do without their coffee and pastry.. don't need the half-azzed car wash either.. usually does more damage than good. As for the oil change itself.. I prefer to do it myself instead of having their entry level people practicing on my car..
So instead of $50 for their bulk conventional mineral oil... I pay $30 total for a quality synthetic oil and knowing it's done right.. also gives you a chance to look around for leaks and other problems that would never get looked at by the dealer..

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Mine cost.... 34.95 or something.

Parts were 16 and rest were labor... or something like that.

I also told them about my sunroof problem and they put an order for the missing piece.

They did wash my car... and there are a ****load of swirls... but I'll just deal with it until I can get a day to detail it or get it done professionally.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by hyukki
Mine cost.... 34.95 or something.

Parts were 16 and rest were labor... or something like that.

I also told them about my sunroof problem and they put an order for the missing piece.

They did wash my car... and there are a ****load of swirls... but I'll just deal with it until I can get a day to detail it or get it done professionally.
Before I knew any better, I used to just buy the parts I wanted (oil and filter) and had the dealership drop it in for like 15 bucks. At least that way I knew that the fluids and parts were going to be quality instead of that Valvoline or Penzoil dino crap they usually use.

I mean if the dealer can't wash your car without putting swirl marks in your paint, imagine how competant they must be when changing your oil. ****...I would check to see if your drain bolt is stripped!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tru-G
Before I knew any better, I used to just buy the parts I wanted (oil and filter) and had the dealership drop it in for like 15 bucks. At least that way I knew that the fluids and parts were going to be quality instead of that Valvoline or Penzoil dino crap they usually use.

I mean if the dealer can't wash your car without putting swirl marks in your paint, imagine how competant they must be when changing your oil. ****...I would check to see if your drain bolt is stripped!
But... if there is something wrong with my car, aren't they at fault?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First service coming up...