Time for a black roof?
+1

Old 07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa thats crazy, never thought id see that happen :|

Old 07-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed
I'm surprised that it shattered so badly. Is this a case where Infiniti cheaped out and didn't make that out of safety glass?
It's safety glass - you can tell by the way it broke.
"Safety" doesn't mean it won't break - it just won't turn into shards, and therefore less likelyhood of injury by the broken glass.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Dude, there ARE shards! They aren't huge ones but it looks like it left quite a few if you check out the second picture.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 AM
note to self always close the sunroof visor while not in use...

Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Damn, that's not good. Glad you're ok! I've gotten chips and busted headlights and foglights from highway travel even though I avoid big rigs (never ever sit behind one) but that's serious. Any idea how big that rock was? Are you sure it wasn't thrown from an overpass?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Premier Member

This was not done with a rock. Your sunroof actually exploded from the inside out. If you look real hard you can see its lifted. This has happened on Acura TL cars. No one has figured out why, but it is happening. The roofs are just exploding.

Originally Posted by cup0spam
So I'm driving on the freeway, about 150 feet behind a truck, when a rock flung up and landed directly on my sunroof. It was HOT today, so I'm guessing that that variable had something to do with it breaking like it did.

Anyway, my insurance company is paying to have it replaced, plus I think they're going to have to repaint the roof, because there are tons of various scratches all over it now.

It really sucks, but I'm thankful that I had the fabric sunroof cover closed at the time. Glass in my eyeballs while going 70mph would not have been fun.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Premier Member

Here is a link to the TL one:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...=sunroof+glass

And a picture:

And here is a MDX with the sunroof explode.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=26708

Old 07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Here is a link to the TL one:

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...=sunroof+glass

And a picture:

And here is a MDX with the sunroof explode.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=26708
Holy crap! As the owner of an MDX and G35S I guess I need to watch out; hopefully it doesn't happen when it's raining.

Does it have anything to do with excessive heat, it is the summer now. I didn't read through the Acura threads, but heat does cause things to expand and glass only has so much elasticity.

Keep us posted on what the dealer says if you end up presenting it as a spontaneous combusting sunroof.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
that is crazy.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
I think I would 'shard' myself if mine busted/exploded while driving on the freeway. I tend to agree that it looks like it busted from the inside out. I guess driving on the freeway once it was busted could have cause some airflow under it to lift it like that. Nuts either way!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Cool Platinum Graphite G35's Cursed??

Originally Posted by cup0spam
So I'm driving on the freeway, about 150 feet behind a truck, when a rock flung up and landed directly on my sunroof. It was HOT today, so I'm guessing that that variable had something to do with it breaking like it did.

Anyway, my insurance company is paying to have it replaced, plus I think they're going to have to repaint the roof, because there are tons of various scratches all over it now.

It really sucks, but I'm thankful that I had the fabric sunroof cover closed at the time. Glass in my eyeballs while going 70mph would not have been fun.

cup0spam,

There must be something about a Platinum Graphite/Graphite G35S that is fully loaded. I hope this is not and omen - LOL!!

As you may have already guessed, my G35S is equipped the same as yours and has the same color combination. Back in February I had a similar freak accident. Except in my case, a steel rod came at me on the freeway (Hwy 24 in Orinda, CA), and literally speared my front bumper. This steel rod missed the front left tire by about an inch. The resulting damage was a perfectly round hole right through the bumper. Also it shattered the fender liner.

I was really pi$$ed, since at that time my new 'G' was less than a month old. The damage was not as bad as it could have been, but they did have to replace the front bumper and the fender liner. Lucky for me there was no other damage to the undercarriage. I am just thankful this thing didn't come through the windshield.

Now after about 5-months, this is a distant memory. The body shop did a great and matched the paint perfectly. No one would ever know the bumper has been replaced.

Anyway, once your car is repaired, it will be good as new, too. Good luck.

Regards,

Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
That's why i hate driving on the highway with trucks around.They always are fling rocks and stones from the road up.I had my 5 series and 04 max windshields repaired because of this.
Insurance paid for it but still i just dont't like my cars violated.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Fast07GSdn
That place looks like Pinnacle Infiniti...

(
It is. I wonder if they've figured out how to aim headlights yet!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
I heard a rock hit my G this morning. I thought for sure I had a windshield or paint ding. After looking around a lot closer when I got home I discovered the rock had hit the sunroof. No cracks but it put 3 small pits in sunroof toward the front part of sunroof glass on passenger side. I know they don't look as as good but thinking about a sunroof wind deflector like I have on my Maxima.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Look what happened to me on the freeway :(