G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

$14,000 in damage!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that article is B.S.
Last week I got rear ended at a light(granted I started rolling forward when I saw I was going to get hit). The guy hit me really hard(5-10mph) and I though for sure the rear end was trashed. Well I get out to look, and my license plate is the only thing mangled(I think my big heavy plate holder and frame absorbed much of the impact forces). On each side the bumper cover poped out a mm or 2 and I just easily pressed it back in(It looked to me that Infiniti did a great job engineering the bumper for this to happen. The only vehicle damage were a couple of nicks the size of a headphone jack.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by absolutg
the study looked at the new g sedan. wtf are you talking about? regardless, your single anecdotal story does not speak to what the insurance industry is doing as a whole. theirs is a simple numbers game. if the car has more risk (likelihood of accident * cost to repair accident) then they will jack up premiums to an "acceptable" rate to still make their intended profit margins.
I doubt this is new news to the insurance companies. Besides, a 2-door sports car will typically have higher insurance rates than a 4-door sedan because a sports coupe will obviously have a higher likelihood of an accident. This is based on years of studies. For instance, a Corvette will likely have higher rates than a Cadillac. Sure, a person who would otherwise WANT to drive a sports car may be driving a sedan (family, business, comfort reasons), but a person who would rather drive a sedan would not likely be in a coupe (talking demographics here).

My coupe is also about the same rate as my wife's Kia Sorento and her 5.4L F-150 supercrew. Not anectodtal, just a bunch of first-hand experience.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
If i got into a serious accident in my g(i.e. $14,000+) I would'nt worry about the repair cost, I'd just get a new one.
Problem solved.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Spoon!
Totally BS, or they could be using the stealership for an estimate (LOL).

Either way, I got rear ended the first week I got my car by a guy going about 5mph. It did absolutely 0 damage. Total cost to repair? $0.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
G35x
Car with damage in test appears here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20078935/

Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Well it looks like the G35 is definitely tops in one category. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though. I leased my 05 and if I was looking to get out of my lease……..?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
G35x
As long as overall safety of G is sound in a higher speed collision, this news is relatively meaningless to me.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by 95se
+1

That's why I have auto insurance. It's only going to cost me my deductible regardless of repair cost. This study would have absolutely zero impact on my car buying decision.
Actually, you pay for it every month. Yes, if it costs more to fixed if it's in an accident, you're going to pay more in your monthly premiums.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 PM
the news report was lopsided only caring about the total combined, not caring that the C-class had higher frontal damage repair costs and the a4 had higher rear corner repair costs than the G35.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by madchef
Isn't that why we have insurance?

Do you expect to get in a lot of collisions? I mean, for me this information is interesting but really has zero impact on my choice in buying a car.

In the end, if I own any of those cars it's going to cost me $0-$500
I AGREE

Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuoVadimus
Actually, you pay for it every month. Yes, if it costs more to fixed if it's in an accident, you're going to pay more in your monthly premiums.
exactly. which has been stated already in this thread. i don't understand why others have difficulty comprehending this point.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 PM
workin...

Originally Posted by dTor
I doubt this is new news to the insurance companies. Besides, a 2-door sports car will typically have higher insurance rates than a 4-door sedan because a sports coupe will obviously have a higher likelihood of an accident. This is based on years of studies. For instance, a Corvette will likely have higher rates than a Cadillac. Sure, a person who would otherwise WANT to drive a sports car may be driving a sedan (family, business, comfort reasons), but a person who would rather drive a sedan would not likely be in a coupe (talking demographics here).

My coupe is also about the same rate as my wife's Kia Sorento and her 5.4L F-150 supercrew. Not anectodtal, just a bunch of first-hand experience.
like i said, you are basing your opinion on anecdotal information, which is just plain short-sighted. if you were to go buy a sedan, your premiums would likely be lower for the sedan than for your coupe, all other things being equal. the point i, and others, am trying to make, is that if the data suggests that when a specific model gets into accidents, it costs X dollars to fix, premiums will be adjusted to compensate for this information.

btw, it's not that the coupe will have a higher chance of an accident, it's that the people who drive 2 dr vs. 4 dr are more likely to get into accidents.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by absolutg
exactly. which has been stated already in this thread. i don't understand why others have difficulty comprehending this point.
Not necessarily. Physical damage is only part of the cost of insurance. If you have a car that in an average 20mph crash will only cost 5,000 to fix, but there's a good chance that you'll die in it or suffer seriously bodily injury, you can bet that that insurance will be significantly higher than a car that has a proven safety track record but will need 14,000 to fix. That's where the G comes in. The previous generation G has one of the best death/accident ratios out there and there's been no reason to believe the current generation G is any worse. Ditto with bodily injury.

Given the lesser risk of death and bodily injury (which is generally much much much more expensive than property damage to the car), you might be surprised at how little (or if at all) this affects monthly premiums.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
workin...

yes, you're right on that point. i overlooked the bodily harm aspect.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
The only way an insurance company will "total" a vehicle is if the cost of the repair exceeds 75% of the current value of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $14,000 in damage!