G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Maintenace at dealer.. or who cares go anywhere?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go to the dealer as long as my car is still under warranty, after that either i'm doing it on my own or taking it somewhere else... a reputable shop that is...

Old 08-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This simple topic has been useful in clarifying some "myths".

Most of the franchised auto service shops (Tire Kingdom, Midas) have their employees on a commission basis. Their goal is to get as much money from you as they can and your goal is the opposite... hardly a healthy business relationship and fertile ground for fraud.

Moreover, the employees at many of the franchised auto shops are under pressure to get through as many jobs as possible. This creates an environment where the mechanic is tempted to take shortcuts or not do the job properly.

There are good and bad in dealerships as well as the independent auto shops, although you have more recourse when dealing with a dealership. In all cases, you need to be vigilant when dealing with car repairs. The bills are usually significant and incomplete work could leave you with a blown engine.

A dealership must demonstrate (with proof) that something was done or not done by the owner, which justifies the manufacturer refusing to meet the warranty conditions. It is Infiniti and not Joe Schmo dealership that provides the warranty. The dealership follows the policy of the company which the dealership represents and can not lawfully pick and choose when they will uphold the warranty.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by sunmind
The dealership follows the policy of the company which the dealership represents and can not lawfully pick and choose when they will uphold the warranty.
Sorry, this is what you say and it doesn't represent the reality.

To the dealership there is a big difference between repair your car under warranty and without warranty. They make tons of money if do it without warranty.

Their attempt is to try all possible ways to do the work without warranty.
They know which one is and is not obvious so that they can play "not covered under warranty" game with you.

If you want to play the law game with them, that's fine. Ask them to write down what they said on paper for why they refuse to repair it under warranty and tell them you will use it in court. I ask my Audi dealer 10 times (well, not that many) and didn't get what I want but finally they fixed it for me under warranty and made me feel like they do that because I am a faithful customer and want me to come back to buy/service car in the future

Old 08-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gorn
Customer service is gone in this country when we have to worry about making the people we give money to angry.
haven't you ever seen the movie "Waiting"? You don't want to **** off the people that are serving you, they are people too. Some might have unskilled jobs but that doesn't make someone else better than the other person. You wouldn't want any "fromunda" cheese would you?

Old 08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Interesting

Originally Posted by ugaexploder
it's not like they're rebuilding your engine. it's just changing oil, any grease monkey can do it. plus most of those places it's not like they drive your car either, you pull in to a bay and they work on it. just watch them do everything, you gotta be pretty bad to mess up on a oil change.
They do indeed drive your car onto the rack and guess what. I was with a buddy who was having his oil changed in his nameless car and just before they started to work on his they pulled a vehicle up and proceeded to drive it right into that hole where you are supposed to stand and work on the car. The car was almost totally ruined. I have also seen ( not just heard ) of them draining all the oil in your car and then, oh, not put ANY back in. I think everyone has heard that story but I know someone it happened to. Luckily they realized it before their engine blew. Jiffy was nice enough to re-do it for free. What a joke. You paid good money for your car. Make sure you pay good money to maintain it also or get to know one place and always take your car there for everything. It is best to try and get to know the mechanics so when you bring your car in they will treat it with a bit more respect because they will have the "hey, I know this guy" feeling.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by diablo1356
its a ****ing oil change!! this is not some supercar...just take it to wal mart and get the $15 oil change. if it makes you feel better supply your own oil filter. im just wondering...if anyone owned a maxima or altima would they pay over $50 for an friggin oil change?
i did that with my very first car -- an 87 supra. they topped off the oil for the change. yeah, they put 7~8 qts in when "full" is 4.5-ish. needless to say, i didn't catch this right away and ended up dropping a ton of money fixing what that messed up.

rip-me-lubes sometimes don't bother changing the oil or filter. other times they'll cause bigger problems for when you come back.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
$45 gets you a synthetic oil change and hand car wash (from an independantly contracted detailing company we use) @ Riverside

Premium synthetic (e.g. Motul) is extra. Also, we will use the oil you bring if you'd like to do so.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Guys
I do it only at the dealership...they take care of all the issues and give me a loaner all the time.. Some of the stuff in the scheduled maintenance is a rip off I agree...I follow the Edmunds scheduled maintenance instead.....everything else I go to the dealer.... My oil change is < $50 as well..and you get a complimentary wash and vaccum the car...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Jiffy Lube scares Me.*********************************************** ************************** A friend bought My old BMW that I had maintained since new.He took it to Jiffy Lube,then had an oil leak afterwards.He asked me to look at it,and I discovered a tapered pipe plug had been installed instead of the drain plug.********************************************* ************************************************ My ex girlfriend called Me from Jiffy Lube.She took her VW and had a 19.95 coupon.They drained her oil,then wanted 80.00 for synthetic.Thats extortion,because they should have told her first,before draining it! They charged her the 80.00 and didnt even change the filter.I found the old filter with the date and miles written on it,that I had installed previously.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been going to the same oil change place since i started driving, so i know their work is good...

I have no time to wash or do oil changes, so i get people i know a are legit to do work for me.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I am up for brakes on my car and I already bought the oem pads. Should I go to the dealer and have them put them on or go to a local mechanic?