G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

MPG Gage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max2k1
^+1 -- its reporting instantaneous mpg (not average mpg) -- so it is supposed to vary wildly depending on what you are doing.
Instantaneous MPG? You guys are taking me way too seriously. I was kidding, because it appears to me that whatever number the gauge is showing is directly related to the throttle position and not a particularly useful indicator of fuel economy. Not that it bothers me -- I usually keep it set on outside temp.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by barrister89
Instantaneous MPG? You guys are taking me way too seriously. I was kidding, because it appears to me that whatever number the gauge is showing is directly related to the throttle position and not a particularly useful indicator of fuel economy. Not that it bothers me -- I usually keep it set on outside temp.
Well . . . isn't the car's fuel consumption directly related to the position of the throttle? Is fuel consumption over distance not what MPG is a measure of?

Seems to me to be a pefectly valid indicator of fuel economy.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by st1sj
after experimenting with all the different options, i now use the outside temp. i find the bar graph and the avg mpg chart made me too conscious of fuel economy, which is contrary to why i brought the car.
LOL, me too. Every once in a while I put the instantaneous mileage up, but it makes me too conscious about how I'm driving. Bought the car to enjoy it, not pinch pennies!!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
One big motha...
I prefer this one... :-D

My avg mpg meter tends to be on the high 20s ie 20.9, but I have a pretty heavy foot no matter where I am...

Last edited by turboale; 10-04-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by MikeyC
Well . . . isn't the car's fuel consumption directly related to the position of the throttle? Is fuel consumption over distance not what MPG is a measure of?

Seems to me to be a pefectly valid indicator of fuel economy.
Yeah, but any given MPG reading from the gauge cannot be a measurement of fuel consumed over distance, because it's instant. It is a prediction based on on an algorithm. Particularly in stop and go city driving, the number ranges vary so widely from moment to moment that the gauge does not provide much guidance to the driver as to his actual fuel economy. Obviously, if you religiously observe the gauge and try to tailor your driving habits to keep the readings as high as possible, you're going to save gas. But not much more than just staying off the throttle, keeping speed down, and coasting as much as possible, which we all know increases MPG. To get a number that approaches real-world fuel use per distance traveled, you have to use averages.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by turboale
My avg mpg meter tends to be on the high 20s ie 20.9, but I have a pretty heavy foot no matter where I am...
I still just don't get how people are getting over 20 MPG on this car. I didn't buy it for MPG either, so I could care less. But under my normal driving which is a combo of highway and city, I get about 16-17 MPG tops! And although I enjoy my car for sure, by no means am I speed racer. Even on a long freeway trip I think I only averaged 22 MPG.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I still just don't get how people are getting over 20 MPG on this car. I didn't buy it for MPG either, so I could care less. But under my normal driving which is a combo of highway and city, I get about 16-17 MPG tops! And although I enjoy my car for sure, by no means am I speed racer. Even on a long freeway trip I think I only averaged 22 MPG.
Yesterday I took a long freeway trip. About 500 miles round trip. averaged 24-25mpg .. 24.6 on the way there and 25.1 on the way back.

Otherwise, In the city, my best mileage has been 19.9 and that's with me grandmothering the throttle. My worst is 12.1, and most of my tanks are between 16-18. This is with my daily 11.5mile each way commute which consists of about 9 miles local driving 2.5 miles highway (urban highway).

Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM
yeah, I find it annoying that you can have so little info displayed at a time. I wish the temperature was always there, in addition to other selectable info, like MPG, or avg speed. Plenty of room, and I always like to know the outside temp.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
The MPG gauge is the only one I find usefull as I live in Puerto rico and the temperature never drops below 70 F

William
2007 G35 S

Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by barrister89
Yeah, but any given MPG reading from the gauge cannot be a measurement of fuel consumed over distance, because it's instant. It is a prediction based on on an algorithm. Particularly in stop and go city driving, the number ranges vary so widely from moment to moment that the gauge does not provide much guidance to the driver as to his actual fuel economy. Obviously, if you religiously observe the gauge and try to tailor your driving habits to keep the readings as high as possible, you're going to save gas. But not much more than just staying off the throttle, keeping speed down, and coasting as much as possible, which we all know increases MPG. To get a number that approaches real-world fuel use per distance traveled, you have to use averages.
but since you are moving every instant, you are covering a distance; thats why when you arent moving, it shows you are getting 0 MPG and not infinity MPG. i believe this gauge is accurate

Old 10-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by turboale
I prefer this one... :-D

Whoa, I don't think that's how mine looks like.

I'm gonna take some pics.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
The other poster has turned on "ICC" - hence the display as shown (see the cruise stuff above the mpg)

Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by max2k1
The other poster has turned on "ICC" - hence the display as shown (see the cruise stuff above the mpg)
Oh, that's what it was.

I don't have ICC so even if I turn CC on, it just says "CRUISE" at the top and that's it.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh and if you've noticed, I've never reset my trip meter. Only the A though.

The MPG/MPH thing got reset when I was messing around with it while taking the pic.s

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MPG Gage