G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Dead clutch - Newbie needs info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:17 PM
|
Dead clutch - Newbie needs info

I bought a G35S in a manual transmission back in early May. About 2 months into the purchase, the clutch began to feel a bit weird on a long drive to Palm Springs. The shifts from 4-5-6 gears became erratic due to the pedal being "sticky" (not releasing fully) and the "spot" in the release where the gear engages feeling as if is was changing. Example: I would press the clutch and change from 5th to 6th and then try and release the pedal but the gear would engage almost as soon as I shift the **** into 6th position and when I release the pedal, the pedal will not come all the way back and I would have to snake my left foot in there to pop it back into the original position.

This originally happened around 2000 miles and just intermittently for that week. Then it disappeared but every once in awhile I'd get that sticky feeling in the clutch. When I took it in for the first maintenance, I told them about it but they said unless it could be duplicated, they wouldn't look into it. The last few days, I'm up to about 5800 miles) the problem has been occurring more frequently. Then last night it got bad and all the gears were affected. It was as if the entire clutch was going haywire and I was out entertaining a out of town friend and so I was out driving him around town. Well, I was able to get around but when I was returning home, I got on the freeway and could not shift into 3rd. The clutch pedal was stuck and even when I was able to pop it out with my foot, it locked me out of shifting. Essentially, the ability to engage didn't exist anymore. I pulled the car over and coasted to a stop by the side of the freeway where I was stranded at 3am. Without any other option, I called roadside assistance and they picked up the car.

I've been driving a manual for 20 years and the only reason I didn't raise a stink before was because this issue was intermittent and also I never thought the car would be undriveable or dangerous. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or felt something iffy in the clutch like what I have described.

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:23 PM
This seems to be a problem that occurs in some manual cars. The dealership should have known about it and not blown you off though.. I'd be pissed at them.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the latest permenant fix for this.

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:49 PM
|
I'd just like to know if other people have experienced this problem and what the outcome was. I don't want to be stuck with a car that becomes a constant problem for years. Waiting on the service people to call me back with their assessment but I'll update this thread in case anyone might be familiar with this problem. It might not just be the sedan but also anyone with a new 350Z or the G Coupe so if you hear anything, let me know. Thanks, KCMO.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:30 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Well the problem is the fluid getting too hot in the lines. It needs to be bleed with some high temp fluid and this has shown to fix the problem. my350z.com has more info on this in the 07 350z.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:32 PM
|
Would this fluid issue cause the entire clutch to break down? I wasn't driving it under adverse conditions and I'm wondering if it was a faulty hydraulic system.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:36 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
It's like brakes. If the fluid gets hot, it boils, then you get air in the lines. Same thing with the clutch. It's long highway trips that seem to cause it to appear, or taking it to the drag strip and slipping it a lot.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:45 PM
Unless the driver is riding the clutch, why should it become an issue on long trips ??
The OP has driven stick for 20yrs - so he is not obviously riding the clutch.

I think its a defective component - its not the norm definitely - sit on top of Infiniti to have them fix it - its a safety issue now.

Old 10-29-2007 | 04:46 PM
|
When the problem, began over the weekend, I wasn't on the freeway very much and the driving was not long. It happened during street driving and got progressively worse. Following some threads on 6MT.net, I discovered that this is not an uncommon problem on the G35 coupes. I almost got hit several times at intersections and when a truck was barreling behind me when my clutch eventually gave out. I just wanted to get home and park it that night but I never made it. It's a very dangerous problem so I'm looking to see if others have had it this bad.

Old 10-29-2007 | 05:16 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
We are not exactly sure what causes it, but the items I said especially the drag strip cause it. When the clutch slips a lot, it creates the heat, and that is causing the fluid to get to hot. Then the clutch gets stuck to the floor.

Old 10-29-2007 | 05:26 PM
|
I think this might not be the same problem. My clutch doesn't really slip and it happened sometimes when I got into the car in the morning after it's been sitting all night. I don't drive the car all that hard and when I took a trip to Vegas this summer in the heat, the problem didn't show up. There doesn't seem to be a pattern that I have been able to distinguish. I'm waiting to see what Infiniti service has to say about it but I'm very apprehensive about driving the car again.

Old 10-29-2007 | 05:52 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
It is the same problem. It isn't slipping, it just the slipping of the clutch when you engage it or not is what causes HEAT, which in turn causes the problem to show. It won't go away till you get the lines bleed and will get worse.

Old 10-29-2007 | 06:34 PM
left another member stranded, see his post here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...light=stranded

Old 10-29-2007 | 07:27 PM
Premier Member
Premier Member
Old 10-30-2007 | 04:41 PM
dead clutch

hey dayamit, i had the same exact problem with my clutch as it was stuck to the floor one day after a few weeks of having a sticky clucth and initially when i took it in they told me the same thing that i have to "duplicate" the event, sure enough few weeks later i was stranded on a gas station and had to get it towed using infiniti roadside assistance which was free.
When i got to the dealer I gave them a little piece of my mind we were instantly good. Then i was promised to get the car in a day but sure enough it took over ONE WEEK!! Well at the end they had to replace the slave cylinder, clutch fluid, transmission fluid and as my luck would be i also got a new Clutch Disk Assembley as i was sarcastic about how they did not listen to my concern earlier and that might have caused damage to the clutch.
So bottom line they had to take the entire transmission out and was left open in the garage for a week in wait for parts from infiniti, at the end everything worked out as i got all this new and did not even have to pay a penny or argue as it is a 07 g35.
So bro dont worry take your car in for service and let them know a few other people have the same problem with their 07's and everything will be fine.

Peace

Old 10-31-2007 | 09:30 PM
Head over to the Edmunds G35 thread and you'll find quite a few victims there as well...Dayamit being one of them.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11d708/30