G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Cruise Control + Rain rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control + Rain rant

Last night I was driving back from a friend's house and it was raining outside, nothing serious or anything. It was late, I was tired, and I like using cruise control when I'm tired, especially since it'll slow down for me if someone is in front of me. Awesome feature when I just don't feel like doing anything.

Well I try to set the speed and I realized nothing happened. At first I got pissed because I thought my CC was shot, but I tried using it this morning on the way to work and it worked just fine so I figured that the CC will not work if its raining outside. Bummer.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
hmm I highly doubt that. I'll give it a try tonight considering it's been raining almost every night here in Jersey.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw something related in a previous post about CC shutting off in heavy rain. Try searching for it.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM
ICC can't see through heavy rain. It's just one of those times you can't use it (like driving into the early morning/late evening sun). If you want to use CC during conditions that blind the ICC system, just hold the CC button for a few seconds when you turn it on. This turns on plain old dumb CC which doesn't use the sensor. Just don't forget which mode you are in and run into something!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful, one should not use any cruise control in poor condition. You can hydroplane or skid on ice easily.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lemodular
Be careful, one should not use any cruise control in poor condition. You can hydroplane or skid on ice easily.
+1. I love CC when cruising on the highway, but would never use it in heavy rain, snow, fog, or traffic....

Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by ChemGuy
If you want to use CC during conditions that blind the ICC system, just hold the CC button for a few seconds when you turn it on. This turns on plain old dumb CC which doesn't use the sensor. Just don't forget which mode you are in and run into something!
Whoa?!? That works? I was wondering how to get around the driving west into setting sun problem with ICC. I'll have to try this.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lemodular
Absolutely, but this wasn't in a downpour or anything. Just plain old rain. I could stand in it without an umbrella and be fine. I'd never think to use CC if it were truly poor conditions.

As for disabling the ICC, I never knew you could do that. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
FYI: ICC will work with interval wipers turned on.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I had a very similar issue. I turned on the cc in the rain, started off working fine. Slowed down to pay a toll and went to resume, nada. Tried to reset, nada. Went straight to the dealer (it was nearby) and was informed of the "too much water on the sensor" rap. Frustrated with spending 40,000 and not having a cc that will work when I want it to. Now I read that it will revert to the "laymans" cc if one holds the button down for a bit, and I am satisfied. I am a safe driver and respect weather and road conditions, I feel I should have the option of when and how I use my cc.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM
is this feature described in the manual? i'm looking to get a qx for my wife, and i can't the intelligent cruise control. how long is a few seconds?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM
nevermind, my wife just spoke with the dealer, 3 seconds. now is this everytime you set it? or is it done just once when activated the first time?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's not a good idea to use CC in the rain. my brother used it in his z06 on I-85N and he spun out of control during a turn. the turn was on a slight incline and CC usually gives it gas to keep at the same rate of speed and when you have 400 ft-lbs of torque it's not a pretty sight in the rain. even w/o 400 ft-lbs it's still easy to lose control of your car when it's RWD and raining.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
It's when you turn it on.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Tried it today, worked fine.

Everyone here was right, to summarize:
If you have ICC and wish to use it while raining be aware:
-ICC will not work if you have the windshield wipers on
-ICC WILL work if you have the wipers set to interval
-If your windshield wipers are on the "Low" or "High" setting, you'll have to disable the ICC in order to use your CC, just hold down the On/Off CC button for a couple of seconds and you'll notice its on on your driver's info center.

It was raining this morning (minor pour) and tried using it using those methods above. Worked just fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control + Rain rant