G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First snow driving experience not good...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Throw a few bags of sand in the trunk?

Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35er_in_TO
The trade off ofcourse is that studless snow tires are usually really bad at anyhting otehr than snow - i.e. ice, wet, dry, etc. You want a tire that will perform really well in the snow/ice - without compromising your dry/wet driving (which is the majority of the time depending on where you live - such as the Greater Toronto Area/GTA) - hence a winter performance tire usually makes more sense. My dad put hard-core studless snow tires (Yokohama's) on his Lexus and he says that he's driving a death trap anytime there isn't any snow on the ground. Just my 2 cents.
I don't know that I'd call studless snow tires a death trap. Most studless snow tires are Q speed rated. You just can't be an idiot and tear out in them. Obviously, any snow tire is a compromise for performance tires and studless more so than a performance snow tire, but you just have to pay attention.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by dopey
I don't know that I'd call studless snow tires a death trap. Most studless snow tires are Q speed rated. You just can't be an idiot and tear out in them. Obviously, any snow tire is a compromise for performance tires and studless more so than a performance snow tire, but you just have to pay attention.
I have Mich X-Ices (Q rated studless tire) on my car. Great in snow and ice, and not bad at all on dry/wet roads. I certainly wouldn't call them a "death trap", LOL. I've driven on long road trips on bone-dry roads with out problems.

These are far better than the Pirelli 210 SNowsport H-rated performance winters I used to have on a RWD 3-series. OK on dry/wet roads, not that great on snow/ice though.

Last edited by ac328; 11-30-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by ac328
I have Mich X-Ices (Q rated studless tire) on my car. Great in snow and ice, and not bad at all on dry/wet roads. I certainly wouldn't call them a "death trap"!
Yeah, and in various posts and sigs, I notice alot of people have Blizzak WS-series tires, and those are also Q rated studless snows, and I've yet to hear anyone call them a death trap. They're noisier on dry/wet, and being Q-rated less grippy so you don't want to overpower them, but they're a fine tire for regular driving. Take them to the track and I call you a moron .

Old 11-30-2007, 02:02 PM
It's a case of "horses for courses" and Infiniti does offer the "x" model. It does cost a little more, weighs a little more and in 2007 only came with the automatic transmission and 17" wheels.

Although I live in the desert foothills (we get flash floods in monsoon season) I still believed it was worth getting the "x" so I would be able to drive the car, no matter where I ended up living.

As it turns out, the performance of the "x" is not significantly less than its RWD brothers, the automatic was a very pleasant surprise and I am now very glad I got the "x".

For those guys who know, with certainty, that they will encounter bad weather in the winter, it would probably be no surprise for them to opt for the "x" model unless they were willing to put their beloved Infiniti away until May.

I didn't particularly want the G35 but got stuck with it...now I love the thing, even though I believe it's an "ugly duckling"

Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive my RWD G with Blizzaks WS50's through the winter snow and haven't had any issues. Granted it's pretty flat around here and there aren't any uphills for me to tackle.... I don't regret not getting the "x"....

Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say you probably just have to get used to the difference between FWD and RWD in the snow, I have never owned a FWD vehicle, and have always done okay in snow and ice, it's tricky, but it's always been the others out on the road I worry about. Even with light rear ended pickups I've done okay. So, I'd since this was your first foray driving the G in snow, you'll get better at it as the winter passes. Hang in there!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sideshow7208
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will definitely try adding weight to the back on snowy days, and I may look into getting some different winter tires for the rear. Would going with something wider help? I have 8" wheels so I should be able to go up to to 245/45/18.

By the way, I did have a full tank of gas during this experience.

I guess I wasn't the only one with a problem. From a local press story on numerous accidents today: "Slick, snow-covered roads made the morning commute trickier than normal, as a few inches of snow had a layer of ice underneath."

When I was making my buying decision I considered the X, but I really wanted the 6MT. I was ultimately convinced by the number of posters on this and other boards who said they hadn't had problems with RWD when they'd used winter tires. Of course that's what I wanted to read, so perhaps I suffered some selective perception... I thought that AWD was mostly marketing hype and extra weight, but this experience trying to get up an icy incline has changed my mind somewhat (assuming the problem isn't the tires or my lack of winter RWD driving experience).
Hey Sideshow. I'm down, just southwest, of Kalamazoo. I understand your frustration. Although I have an FX35 and it is seemingly unstoppable in the snow with proper tires, I do also drive (begrudingly) a RWD vehicle around in the winter, at times. I'm assuming you purchased your vehicle at Pfeiffer? Hopefully the addition of weight in the trunk will help. Let us know how it goes. Maybe I'll run into you (not literally, I hope ) whenever I make it up to GR.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm in Canada as well, so after having an 03 RWD, I went with the 05X & now looking for an 07X!! Of course the sport with manual is nice but if it is cold & snowy the X is more practical & now you can get an 08 X with sport! (no manual thou).

Old 11-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I've been driving a RWD G35 for over 4 years now and have never had a problem. I've been running Blizzaks over the years and haven't had any issues. The amount of snow days I get here didn't warrant getting the X and have no regrets getting the G35S with snow tires.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:54 PM
from experience...vdc on in the snow renders the car useless. You have to allow some amount of wheelspin otherwise the engine will keep cutting out and you will never move.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Im here in Boston and get enough snow. I think its your performance winter tires. Usually I keep my tires a bit under inflated for better traction in winter. You will definitely see a difference if you deflate your tires to 26 psi from 32, which should make your tires a bit softer and giving you more traction. Plus going with winter performance tires was a bad decision.. . i say try getting a different set. Someone will buy these tires from ya.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Sideshow7208
Thanks for the feedback so far. I will definitely try adding weight to the back on snowy days, and I may look into getting some different winter tires for the rear. Would going with something wider help? I have 8" wheels so I should be able to go up to to 245/45/18.

By the way, I did have a full tank of gas during this experience.

I guess I wasn't the only one with a problem. From a local press story on numerous accidents today: "Slick, snow-covered roads made the morning commute trickier than normal, as a few inches of snow had a layer of ice underneath."

When I was making my buying decision I considered the X, but I really wanted the 6MT. I was ultimately convinced by the number of posters on this and other boards who said they hadn't had problems with RWD when they'd used winter tires. Of course that's what I wanted to read, so perhaps I suffered some selective perception... I thought that AWD was mostly marketing hype and extra weight, but this experience trying to get up an icy incline has changed my mind somewhat (assuming the problem isn't the tires or my lack of winter RWD driving experience).
Sounds to me that your problem was ice, not snow. But, for the record, snow tires should be as NARROW as possible, not as wide as possible. I've got an S with 225/55-17 Pilot Alpins, and while NJ doesn't get snowed on a lot, I had no difficulty with last year's few storms.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
lowering the PSI of your rear tires would probably have helped you in that situation.

I drive my car all winter on 18" Dunlop winter Msport and have had no issues.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by G35er_in_TO
Not following? Sorry - what do you mean?

Means, that we didn't get that much snow in Toronto last week (and it didn't last very long either). I'm running Blizzak WS 60's on my 07 g35x and barely felt the snow (they were great)..can't wait for more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First snow driving experience not good...