G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

TechnoSquare needs G35S ECU donor for ECU reflash development..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude...I want it...how soon till AT is ready

Originally Posted by Chebosto
i'm not allowed to specify any pricing info right now.

it will:
raise rev limit,
remove speed limit
adjust timing
adjust AFR
adjust throttle response
adjust misc code here n there to allow for better driveability

we always try to work on the latest codes, however, we do not recommend you going into the dealer to reflash over an ecu that has already been reflashed by Technosquare..

if you have specifically asked for a higher-octane tune, that ecu will be reflashed to match customer requirements. However if you are unable to meet your own specified requirements for octane level, to a certain degree, the ECU will still have the ability to run on lower octane or poor gas, granted you don't induce a severe load (i.e. FLoor it up a hill, with 4 fat friends in the back seat). I would even suggest you carry a bottle of octane boost or find 5 gallons of 100+ race gas for mixing to prevent pinging in the event you find yourself out of state with mom-n-pop 91 gas station..

the "2-3inches" comment, yes. this the throttle response change from factory specs is basically allowing the TB to open faster/sooner. however, unskilled drivers will have a tendency to hit the rev limit before physical shifting. yes. we can make it almost instantaneous switch open. there is research underway for that 'sweet' spot..

Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey chebesto, thanks for coming over from my350z and checking out the interest. please keep us updated on the auto's progress. cause i am first in line! behind the volunteer ofcourse.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
hey guys, we just completed the reflash for the 07 VQHR base model Z done.. (well.. 99% done with the code..)

Torque gains throughout the entire torque band..GOOD low to midrange torque (~approx 14 ft-lb gains at around 3500-5k rpm), fairly nice high end torque increase (~9 ft-lb at. 6k+), and redline is now at 8k for lead foots..

VERY consitent power increase throughout the entire RPM bands, overall peak power are approx 9-10 rwhp, with gains up to 11+ at 5500.

good stable AFRs throughout.

interesting throttle body control on the VQHRs... very different than the non HRs. should be very interesting for those in racing applications. on a test at freeway speeds. if you floor it, the car 'launched forward'. the retail version will be more tame and controllable, but for those that want the on/off feeling. we can now do it. heheh.

as a side note. if you have 93+ octane, Tadashi created a special map that actually gained 17+ rwhp due to advancement in timing, but thanks to our crappy gas in CA, would ping sometimes.. we saved the settings, so maybe with a little bit of refinement on that code. those that have better gas can have even more power.

all these numbers i am quoting are from the prototype on an 07VQHR Base model..., actual gains may vary from case to case. but these are very promising.

we need 2007+ G35Sedan STICK SHIFT models to begin prototyping. we already have a volunteer for an AUTO, so now we need a stick shift car.

your car will be down for two weeks as we send the ECU to japan to download the code, and then when we get the ECU back, we can begin the development. the volunteer will get a free ECU reflash along with another reflash for free at a later point. we need relatively stock cars for this development. i.e. stock intake. stock exhaust.. (intakes are ok. but preferrably bone stock)
for those interested, please PM or email me.

thanks

--cheston
Too bad I don't have stick, I'd of lent you mine.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize you're in cali, best of luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited by fecurtis; 12-12-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 AM
good ****. glad to see someone working on this. how long does the R&D on this typically take until you're ready to release a "public" product? in other words, when will the rest of us be able to feed our need for more hp?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Cheston,
Long time stranger... I'd donate mine if I was still in California.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Like I said before, I'm game. I have a manual. Lemme know!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
i'm not allowed to specify any pricing info right now.

it will:
raise rev limit,
remove speed limit
adjust timing
adjust AFR
adjust throttle response
adjust misc code here n there to allow for better driveability

we always try to work on the latest codes, however, we do not recommend you going into the dealer to reflash over an ecu that has already been reflashed by Technosquare..

if you have specifically asked for a higher-octane tune, that ecu will be reflashed to match customer requirements. However if you are unable to meet your own specified requirements for octane level, to a certain degree, the ECU will still have the ability to run on lower octane or poor gas, granted you don't induce a severe load (i.e. FLoor it up a hill, with 4 fat friends in the back seat). I would even suggest you carry a bottle of octane boost or find 5 gallons of 100+ race gas for mixing to prevent pinging in the event you find yourself out of state with mom-n-pop 91 gas station..
edited
First of all, let me clarify that anyone that does anything to make our engines go faster, gets my vote

If you're using 91 octane and need to increase it to 93 octane, it is necessary to mix 100 octane on a 1:1 basis (this will give 94 octane) or you can screw around with 60:40 (100/91) to get exactly 93 octane. Do NOT use the 110 LEADED because this will strip the octane out of the overall mix (with unleaded) and probably mess up your catalytic converters. For those that care about such things, it is also viewed as a BIG "no no" by the authorities and they can impose massive fines... yada yada

It has been the subject of much debate but it is widely believed that gas additives do not work, in general, and those very few that are reported to give gains do so in small quantities and contain ingredients that are harmful to the engine (toluene, for example).

I do not know if the reflash disables the anti-knock settings on our engines; which apparently adjust the timing automatically and cope with lower octane fuel, to stop "pinging". That would be an issue, since there are harmful effects to running an engine under those conditions.

It DOES sound like a great idea to have the reflash and this was discussed, at length, on the 350Z forums, being an inexpensive upgrade for those of us that had installed performance upgrades. Some argued that it was actually necessary to have the reflash if even basic mods had been done (the usual intake, headers, MRev plenum etc.) to see any gains.

BUT

Not to be a Killjoy but there were some posts from Nissan tech guys that stated it could be detected if a reflash had been done and this could void the warranty in the event of subsequent problems. I don't know if this is true or not and maybe just dealership b.s. Apparently, it isn't all bad, since they also stated you could buy a second chip and have it reflashed to keep your original nice and clean.

My $0.02 worth.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
As part of raising the rev limit, hopefully a bombproof rev limiter remains? i.e. if you raise it to 8k, it's a solid limit and the RPMs will bounce off the limiter as it does now
i'm not quite understanding your question. if the rev limit is set at 8k. yes. your car's engine revs will hit the fuel cut off, and your tach needle will 'bounce' off the rev limiter. please note, that the analog tachometer has a slight lag and althought u might see it sweep past a pre-set rev where people think the rev limit would be, trust me, it stops at whatever the ecu has stored for rev limit.

good ****. glad to see someone working on this. how long does the R&D on this typically take until you're ready to release a "public" product? in other words, when will the rest of us be able to feed our need for more hp?
R&D depends on the code we get from the computer. if it's drastically different than previous models, then it might take anywhere from a week to a month to get where the tuner wants it to be. then its just a matter of altering the code.

Cheston,
Long time stranger... I'd donate mine if I was still in California.
Howdy Brian. i knew you'd still be around here. heh. still rockin' the 4DSC? hheh. i still got my maxima!!

I do not know if the reflash disables the anti-knock settings on our engines; which apparently adjust the timing automatically and cope with lower octane fuel, to stop "pinging". That would be an issue, since there are harmful effects to running an engine under those conditions.
the Anti-Knock characteristics are still in place, however they can only retard the timing and add fuel so much. if the ECU is reflashed too aggressive due to customer request, there's nothing you can physically do to prevent detonation when the user picks poor gas options.

Not to be a Killjoy but there were some posts from Nissan tech guys that stated it could be detected if a reflash had been done and this could void the warranty in the event of subsequent problems. I don't know if this is true or not and maybe just dealership b.s. Apparently, it isn't all bad, since they also stated you could buy a second chip and have it reflashed to keep your original nice and clean
That's the first i've heard of a dealership recognizing that the base code has been flashed over. even with a CONSULT II plugged in, unless you're specifically looking for timing characteristics and know what you're looking for,they're not going to know. granted, you roll in there with aggressive cams, and the car is idling higher, i'm sure they're going to realize the CAMs would void the warranty faster than the reflash.. there is no 'software tag' or identification that comes up on any obd2 reader to show that a particular ECU has been reprogrammed. as far as buying a second chip and keeping the original one 'nice' and clean, thats sounds like they're just tryin' to sell extra ECUs for factory price.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:51 PM
the Anti-Knock characteristics are still in place, however they can only retard the timing and add fuel so much. if the ECU is reflashed too aggressive due to customer request, there's nothing you can physically do to prevent detonation when the user picks poor gas options.

That's the first i've heard of a dealership recognizing that the base code has been flashed over. even with a CONSULT II plugged in, unless you're specifically looking for timing characteristics and know what you're looking for,they're not going to know. granted, you roll in there with aggressive cams, and the car is idling higher, i'm sure they're going to realize the CAMs would void the warranty faster than the reflash.. there is no 'software tag' or identification that comes up on any obd2 reader to show that a particular ECU has been reprogrammed. as far as buying a second chip and keeping the original one 'nice' and clean, thats sounds like they're just tryin' to sell extra ECUs for factory price. edited
I do not have sufficient technical knowledge to properly assess that risk.

If the guys doing the reflash are willing to guarantee their customers that the reflash can NOT be traced, this would be a good marketing point since no-one will want to put their warranty on the line. Has great potential if it can remain "invisible" to the dealerships

Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 AM
I know that on VW ECU's you could tell that the ecu had been re-flashed. I remember seeing a Neuspeed-tuned ecu pass through my hands before.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Any improvement in mpg? Usually with a timing advance you get more power, higher mpg and potentially NOx because of higher heat.

Thoughts? I want more power and better mileage cause I'm greedy.

Last edited by stinky; 12-14-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by stinky
Any improvement in mpg? Usually with a timing advance you get more power, higher mpg and potentially NOx because of higher heat.

Thoughts? I want more power and better mileage cause I'm greedy.

You want more power and better mileage?

My guess is that any mileage improvement from an advanced would be immediately negated by the fact that most people that get this would just driver faster.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM
When I modded my old M30, went to a 2 1/2 exhaust (from 2 1/4), JWT Pop Charger and advanced the timing, I had noticeable power increases and mileage went up almost 20%. The timing change alone (done after the other mods) was probably half of the power and mileage, but I had to dial it back to pass inspection because of NOx.

Even driving faster, mileage was up significantly. I doubt if there is that much room for improvement with the new G, but I would think it should be there, even if modest.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm any update on this Reflash for the 07-08 G's? Did you find a Stick Donor car for the ECU Reflash?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Hmm any update on this Reflash for the 07-08 G's? Did you find a Stick Donor car for the ECU Reflash?
x2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TechnoSquare needs G35S ECU donor for ECU reflash development..