G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

For those of you w/ black interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grav
I don't know what type of plastic they are, but if they're PVC I would dye them with vinyl dye. Back in the day when all PCs were beige, guys used to dye their cases and monitors with the stuff.

Doesn't peel or crack like paint does. But I would go the the junkyard and get some samples to try it on first.

BTW, black is the only color I'd dye with the stuff.
Someone mentioned something to me about vinyl dye before... but then they disappeared.

Where can you get the stuff?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I think you can find it in most auto parts stores and online.

About $12. Here's a short article:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/modding/46

Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
The lighter color of the pillars and headliner make the car's interior appear to be more spacious. And so, most if not all automakers do not make dark pillars and headliners anymore.
You beat me to it. Dark headliners make you feel confined. I think the 300Z I had in '90 had a black headliner but it also have t-tops that were all glass, so it let in a lot of light. Solid black would make the G's interior feel even smaller than it is.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:03 PM
http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_...sp?itemNbr=142

I've used this before and it works very well. Does not peel off or flake.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EWG35
You beat me to it. Dark headliners make you feel confined. I think the 300Z I had in '90 had a black headliner but it also have t-tops that were all glass, so it let in a lot of light. Solid black would make the G's interior feel even smaller than it is.
Totally agree, my '00 Mustang GT Vert, was all black, headliner, posts, and it made it feel even more confining that it was with the top up!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
If I cared about value I wouldn't have bought a new car... I would have gotten it used and let someone else eat the depreciation. Nor would I spent the money on wheels or any of the other mods I've made.

So to those that like it, thanks. To those that don't, it makes me no never mind. When you want to write me a check for whatever mods you want me to make, I'll start caring about what you think.

When you post something here, you have to expect varying opinions, if you don't like that, I don't know what to tell you!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
When you post something here, you have to expect varying opinions, if you don't like that, I don't know what to tell you!
Nothing personal, and I wasn't saying anything directly at you... like I said, some people hate sme of my other mods, some people love it. It makes me no nevermind.

As long as I like it... people can say whatever they want.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I plan to do my headliner and pillars in grey suede.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the vinyl dye guys... gonna look into it. I'm still holding out hope for the CF route though, but we'll see.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think dirt shows up easier on lighter colors than darker colors so i don't see your logic there. sure the suede headliner wouldn't increase the cars value but if i was to buy a used car and noticed a bunch of dirty on the "grey" headliner than i would definitely complain thus depreciating the value.

and as for the job you did, that's awesome. i was actually going to do the headliner job myself since the materials would cost roughly 350 dollars from interiormall.com. the crypton suede they said would be perfect for the job because is antibacterial, water resistant, etc etc...just to put it simple, it's durable. and i heard if you use cheap suede anything less than 20/yd then it's going to fade really bad.

i hear ya about feeling confined in all black headliner, but i think it would be cool and it wouldn't be that bad if you don't have window tint. if you had black headliner with window tint it would be dark as hell inside

Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
i don't think the G's interior is small in any way. in fact, it has more interior room than the cadillac cts, is350, 335i, and benz c350. maybe you should get a M35

Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
honestly i can't think of a car with a black headliner..... Mercedes, acura, infiniti, and pretty much every car i've ever rode in either had a tan or gray headliner....
well i guess you've never ridden in a BMW M3 E46 imola red w/ black interior. it has black headliner. if you go to the mercedes website, there are plenty of interior choices INCLUDING black headliners. it's pretty common if you ask me. i'm sure the engineers look at the psychological aspect of how it makes you feel confined that's probably why infiniti chose not to go with black headliner.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
i don't think the G's interior is small in any way. in fact, it has more interior room than the cadillac cts, is350, 335i, and benz c350. maybe you should get a M35
Size is relative, it's all a matter of perspective. My previous car was more spacious. I really felt the G was smaller than I'd like it to be when I bought it but loved the car anyway. The IS 350 is tiny (my buddy had one until it got totaled last month) and the rest are probably very similar to the G sedan in size. These are not big cars. I considered the STS and the M but just could not justify the cost, I have two kids and a future to continue saving for. I chose not to expect my government to save for my retirement I'd rather do it myself and retire like Trump rather than a Tramp. But you bring up a good point, the M would be better for my situation, it's much bigger. We brought our second child home and I could not get the baby seat in my G without first moving the seat forward 4 to 6 inches. The interior is tiny, as is the trunk. I love the car, but the size of the interior is a big downer for me. Sorry you disagree.

Back to the topic at hand, check into Mar-Hyde vinyl paint for your visors and grab handles. See if you can find a low gloss version though. I painted a seat on a Ninja years ago and it worked perfectly, but it was a bit shiny for your interior.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Size is relative, it's all a matter of perspective.
+1. It's just a mind trick. The lighter colors just make a smaller car feel bigger than it really is, while a dark interior makes the car feel smaller than it actually is. Ever wonder why most fast food places use red as one of their main colors?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by viguera
If I cared about value I wouldn't have bought a new car... I would have gotten it used and let someone else eat the depreciation. Nor would I spent the money on wheels or any of the other mods I've made.

So to those that like it, thanks. To those that don't, it makes me no never mind. When you want to write me a check for whatever mods you want me to make, I'll start caring about what you think.

LOL, so true. Great job on the headliner install!! Do you find it makes the interior quite a bit darker? Btw, how are you enjoying the M45S shift ****? Jason has shipped mine but it hasn't arrived yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those of you w/ black interior