G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

For those of you w/ black interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you w/ black interior

Do you plan on getting new black headliner instead of that beige or whatever color headliner we have? the reason i ask is because tonight i had to take my father and his mechanic to a car auction and my dad's mechanic didn't know we were going in my car so he was still in his work clothes and kinda smudged some dirt on the seat belt pillar. he's a cool guy, so i'm not blamin him or anything. but i just think it's dumb to have non matching headliner to the carpet and seats. sure it might absorb more heat in the summer time, but who gives a crap. anyone thinkin about goin black suede headliner?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't mind but too much work and $$$. You ave to end up relacing the lighting too. Since that is beige also.

B ut you are absolutelly right. It should be black or at least darker color.

TG

Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's one of the first things that I did... the tan stuff is just such a mismatch that it had to go.

But make no mistake... it's expensive, time consuming and can be a real pain in the *** if it's not done right.

A reputable shop will quote you at least $1k for the work... probably a lot more.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
looks good have any more pics?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by CruisnGcoupe
looks good have any more pics?
Thanks... I have a few, but I've found that it's the hardest thing to photograph... maybe if it's late at night and really light in the car it would look better

Here's an in-progress pic...

The rear quarter...

And the front...

Leaves me with my outstanding problems... the visors and the "chicken bars" which are tan.

The chicken bars I'm going to just paint black, but I wanna make sure they don't fade or look like crap. I was trying to get them done in CF, but I can't find anyone that can actually fabricate them in CF.

The visors are kicking my *** too... nobody seems to make black visors in that size, and I was looking for ones with screens in them too but the Infiniti ones are just tiny and nothing will fit there.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off, it's not tan, it's gray, second you destroy the value of the car doing this! Good luck when it comes time to trade, looks ricey. And, dirt will still show on black! That is quite common in today's cars of any brand.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 12-28-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM
That looks great man. Awesome work. Once you change the plastic things too it will be soo cool.

TG

Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
honestly i can't think of a car with a black headliner..... Mercedes, acura, infiniti, and pretty much every car i've ever rode in either had a tan or gray headliner....

Old 12-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
honestly i can't think of a car with a black headliner..... Mercedes, acura, infiniti, and pretty much every car i've ever rode in either had a tan or gray headliner....
Bingo!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
To each his own, I guess, but I agree with ABQ... although you may enjoy it, this will definitely not increase the value of your car.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by viguera
Thanks... I have a few, but I've found that it's the hardest thing to photograph... maybe if it's late at night and really light in the car it would look better
Thanks for the pictures. Try to take some w/ forced flash. That should show the black headliner better.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by KJC5050
To each his own, I guess, but I agree with ABQ... although you may enjoy it, this will definitely not increase the value of your car.
If I cared about value I wouldn't have bought a new car... I would have gotten it used and let someone else eat the depreciation. Nor would I spent the money on wheels or any of the other mods I've made.

So to those that like it, thanks. To those that don't, it makes me no never mind. When you want to write me a check for whatever mods you want me to make, I'll start caring about what you think.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
The lighter color of the pillars and headliner make the car's interior appear to be more spacious. And so, most if not all automakers do not make dark pillars and headliners anymore.

What did you use to paint the headliner and pillars?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
The lighter color of the pillars and headliner make the car's interior appear to be more spacious. And so, most if not all automakers do not make dark pillars and headliners anymore.

What did you use to paint the headliner and pillars?
It's not painted... it's the original wrapped in suede.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't know what type of plastic they are, but if they're PVC I would dye them with vinyl dye. Back in the day when all PCs were beige, guys used to dye their cases and monitors with the stuff.

Doesn't peel or crack like paint does. But I would go the the junkyard and get some samples to try it on first.

BTW, black is the only color I'd dye with the stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those of you w/ black interior