G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Planning to buy.. no sunroof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitipearl
I personally hate sunroofs. I special ordered my 2007 Ivory Pearl G35S 6-speed RWD with NO roof, NO premium, NO nav, NO tech, NO 4WAS, blah blah blah. Just a 306hp 6sp 350z in sheeps clothing, seating for 4, and head airbags. And yes, I did Stillen exhaust and Stillen intakes. Waiting for someone to do a nice relatively reliable (read ecu) TT kit for the HR. Only thing I wish was that it came with crank windows and cloth, but alas, you can't have everything.

Oh yes, and I have a 2003 Ivory Pearl FX35 base RWD, Cloth interior, with NO sunroof, NO tech, NO nav, NO premium, NO nuthin'. Soon to have Stillen exhaust and intake. I personally buy cars for myself, not others, so I buy them the way I like 'em. Cars are not an investment (typically), and if you're buying a car for resale, well, maybe you should be posting in the Accord or Camry forums. And to the right person (ie a performance enthusiast) the lightweight non-roofed non-optioned cars in fact are worth quite a premium.

Next car to be added to my fleet: 2009 Nissan GT-R, white, special order with NO options. I may strip the paint and repaint in Ivory Pearl...

DOMO

Edit: don't forget the sunroof delete adds 1-2" of headroom, not so important on the FX, but meaningful in the G if you are tall....

+1 and I think alot of people on a auto forum would agree as most
are enthusiast, but then theres those worried about resale. . .who would rather rent a car for a long trip than drive their own to "help" resale

most cars are not an investment!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the sunroof is overrated and to whoever said it raises value, believe me. not by much. it's not like a g35 w/ sunroof is going to cost a considerably different amount. when you take into consideration for what a car is worth, the sunroof isn't the only thing people look at. "oh, i don't want the car...it doesn't have a sunroof".

as for the pics

Last edited by ugaexploder; 01-03-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I love my sunroof. I rarely drive with it fully open, but I pop up it up all the time because I feel like it allows more fresh air to cycle through. I almost always drive with the shade back just to allow more natural light in the car too.

As for value, honestly I don't think that the true economic value of the car would be that different without...but I think that's what hurts it. If it was a few grand difference it would be a different story. I think its just one of those options that people expect, and when it doesn't have one they think "hmmmm...that's strange that a $35K car doesn't have a sunroof". If anything it just creates doubt to a prospective buyer I think allowing them to keep looking instead of just writing you a check.

I could care less about the sunroof for resale value though...I just dig having a sunroof.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I love my sunroof as well and will never own a car without one. Having said that, they are not for everyone.

If you don't get a sunroof, that means you will not have the Premium, Navi, and Tech packages either. That could possibly make it a little tougher to sell down the road. Just a thought.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't think my first thought when test driving this car was,
I wonder what the resale value is gonna be?" or to get rid of it. when i sat in the driver's seat all i was thinking was, this baby is gonna be mine. maybe i'm just immature and young. to me 2000 dollars is a lot of money, i'm not filthy rich so it makes a difference believe me. and i plan on owning this car until at it reaches 100+ thousand miles, i'm not going to be pissed about a couple hundred bucks. i think in ten years, some 16 yr old kid is gonna want to buy this car and he's going to want the car for what i wanted it for. the engine, handling, just plain performance.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Calpolytlo
+1 and I think alot of people on a auto forum would agree as most
are enthusiast, but then theres those worried about resale. . .who would rather rent a car for a long trip than drive their own to "help" resale

most cars are not an investment!
i disagree i think all cars are an investment. some are just worse than others

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Money had little to do with my car buying decisions (within reason), but I will say that if you are buying for monetary reasons, this might sway you. I paid $31,499 out the door for my brand spankin new FX35, at 1.9% from Infiniti financial. For my G35S I paid $31,009, and that was special order, sans negotiation leverage. Total, $62.5... Take sixty-two grand into a Mercedes dealer and you walk out with half an S-class.

Left me a good sum to put toward performance parts. And if I do decide to sell either car, pull off the Stillen bits, bolt back up the OEM stuff, and poof. You'd be surprised how much used Stillen equipment for Infinitis goes for...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by BlkG35Sport
Dude, G35 with no sunroof is like a pimp with no cane...
My feelings exactly!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
RPL
^hahahahahahaha. So true.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
i disagree i think all cars are an investment. some are just worse than others

okay I see what you're saying, I think of an investment ( and the dictionary probably does too) as ( in simple terms ) where you spend money in hopes of getting money back if anyone buys a new car in the hopes of making money you're insane

maybe a collectible classic, but not a new car

or a GTR for that matter hah umm I want one at sticker price!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
i love my sunroof, i always keep my tinted windows up, and I only use my sunroof

Old 01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Calpolytlo
okay I see what you're saying, I think of an investment ( and the dictionary probably does too) as ( in simple terms ) where you spend money in hopes of getting money back if anyone buys a new car in the hopes of making money you're insane

maybe a collectible classic, but not a new car

or a GTR for that matter hah umm I want one at sticker price!
Agree - almost all cars are a depreciating "investment".

Regarding a sunroof, I can't imagine owning a car without one. Mine is open whenever the weather's even close to nice.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Altough I don't think the sunroof is obligatory as a stand alone option for the G, I'm convinced that the Prem. Pkg. is. And since the sunroof comes with the PP...

William

Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Agree - almost all cars are a depreciating "investment".

Regarding a sunroof, I can't imagine owning a car without one. Mine is open whenever the weather's even close to nice.
Agreed, although you could probably stop at "depreciating."

Investments are something that you hope to put money toward that will make you that much and then some in return. A house is an investment.

A car is just a depreciating asset.

As for a sunroof, like others have said, you'll have to get zero options to get one without it. If that's what you are looking for, go for it!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Special ordered my '06 without a sunroof as well...adds a nice, clean aesthetic to the roof and makes it a bit more unique...

I had them on my rx7's of the past...and while they were nice, it wasn't a necessity.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Planning to buy.. no sunroof?