G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Modding a lease?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modding a lease?

Maybe someone who works at the dealerships can help me out here. How much can I mod this thing and return it without getting nailed on fees? What if I put an M45 shift **** in? Do I have to put the OEM back on when I take it back? Tinted headlights/tailights? Different bulbs like leds? I know springs/wheels/intake all has to be stock, but what can I get away with?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good question. I've always been wondering the same thing.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Don't put anything on that you can't 'unbolt" and take off. Cosmetic stuff, CAI, Wheels etc. Maybe even sway bars and exhaust.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Read your lease contract. It actually says it right there in paragraph 19:

"you will not alter or install any equipment upon this vehicle and will pay our cost to restore this vehicle to its original condition."

That being said, if they want to, they could charge you for anything you change on the car. Wether or not they do is totally up to your dealership.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
using those words "original condition" is odd to me, meaning what? Make the car brand new again? But seriously, it's very true things are up to the dealer when you return the car, they will be the one reselling it, and making the deal on a new car...........

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 01-06-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would ask the service/dealer. Maybe if they install it they more forgiving. Same with the warranty. If you ask the service manager maybe he'll be nice and help you out. After all they are there to make money.

TG

Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Don't put anything on that you can't 'unbolt" and take off. Cosmetic stuff, CAI, Wheels etc. Maybe even sway bars and exhaust.

exactly....stick to bolt on's that can be bolted off and replaced with the OEM parts if you dont wanna get busted by the dealer...for instance dont put on a body kit that you'll have to drill on the body to put on.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
i wouldn't do anything to it if it's a lease bro. either buy it and mod it or just don't do anything to it.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO, there is no point in modifying a lease, unless you are planning on buying it out at the end.

That being said, my personal stance on modding is that you shouldnt mod a car with anything beyond minor bolt ons until you OWN (paid off) it

Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
using those words "original condition" is odd to me, meaning what? Make the car brand new again? But seriously, it's very true things are up to the dealer when you return the car, they will be the one reselling it, and making the deal on a new car...........

The language is pretty simple, you are obligated to return the car with the exact same equipment you received it with, including only normal wear and tear, of course.

The language "original condition" relates to equipment, and must be read together with "normal wear and tear".

Under a technical reading of the lease agreement, you cannot return the car with any added, modified, equipment.

Now as others have noted, it is not clear how strictly dealers and/or Nissan are enforcing these policies.

A good example is window tint. Technically that is a modfication, but I doubt most dealers would care, unless it was done poorly, or is really dark and illegal, etc.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I've done it before. Just return it to stock when you give it back. Don't make any changes that aren't reversible. Chances are the shift **** wouldn't be caught. Also, you could likely get away with turning the lease in with M45 wheels or G37 Coupe wheels.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
You'll be fine with minor bolt on modifications, just take em out before turning it in.. i've leased before and i'm leasing again right now and even though it states on the contract not to modify the car i still do, nothing major though.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
IMO, there is no point in modifying a lease, unless you are planning on buying it out at the end.

That being said, my personal stance on modding is that you shouldnt mod a car with anything beyond minor bolt ons until you OWN (paid off) it

I plan on doing only bolt on stuff, nothing major. No motor mods at all, just cosmetic stuff. I don't care to purchase, I get bored with cars too quick and always end up selling them. I know I will this one, I already have ill feelings towards it.

Originally Posted by tg1234
I would ask the service/dealer. Maybe if they install it they more forgiving. Same with the warranty. If you ask the service manager maybe he'll be nice and help you out. After all they are there to make money.

TG
The dealership and I are not on the best of terms now. I am pretty upset about how jerky the car is when taking off. (That's whole other thread's woth of posting) so I don't think they will be very nice to me....

Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by tagheuer
The language is pretty simple, you are obligated to return the car with the exact same equipment you received it with, including only normal wear and tear, of course.

The language "original condition" relates to equipment, and must be read together with "normal wear and tear".

Under a technical reading of the lease agreement, you cannot return the car with any added, modified, equipment.

Now as others have noted, it is not clear how strictly dealers and/or Nissan are enforcing these policies.

A good example is window tint. Technically that is a modfication, but I doubt most dealers would care, unless it was done poorly, or is really dark and illegal, etc.
I was being a smarta$$ about the original condition thing. 90% of the cars my dealer sells/leases leave the dealer with the tint, mine was done by them, as well as adding the spoiler and 3M PaintProtection.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by timmay77
I plan on doing only bolt on stuff, nothing major. No motor mods at all, just cosmetic stuff. I don't care to purchase, I get bored with cars too quick and always end up selling them. I know I will this one, I already have ill feelings towards it.

The dealership and I are not on the best of terms now. I am pretty upset about how jerky the car is when taking off. (That's whole other thread's woth of posting) so I don't think they will be very nice to me....
You know, you can deal with things like that without either party being at odds with the other. BTW, what is the jerky takeoff you're getting? I haven't noticed any such issue with my '07.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modding a lease?