G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 vs 08

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 vs 08

I got a loaner g35x for a day and cruised in it. The acceleration was definitely smoother but there was one thing that bothered me a lot. The pedal was much stiffer, whereas my own 07 g35x I didn't need to apply much pressure to press down the gas pedal. It also felt like the car wasn't going fast when I revd to 3-3.5k, whereas in the 07 I felt like I was going.

I think this post from edmunds describes what I'm feeling pretty very well,

I test drove 5 of those since late '07 and had the same pleasant experience of a peppy, jumpy and muscular acceleration from the get go. the one I bought less than 2 weeks ago feels quite different. I don't know whether it is defect somewhere in the controls or something else (like an intended change) but my '08 does feel different without a doubt. It's sluggish and revs up high before getting much speed. It's not the same agile car.
I forgot to confirm if my loaner was 08 but it felt different. I'm hoping that the ICC reflash I'm getting done won't turn it like this. I'd take the jumpy acceleration anyday. But it seems not many ppl have complained the car has gotten slower after reflash? Can I get some opinions?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I think the 08 ECU flash is gonna give you exactly what you don't want... that same "less edgy" throttle response.

I was also having the reflash done and opted out last minute. I don't have this downhill surge some people talk about and I've gotten used to the touchy pedal.
If I really want to cut my throttle response down for a little while, I go into Snow Mode.

I was in it for a few weeks and just turned it off recently and wow... I forgot how peppy it is. (In a good way)

Old 01-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jl114
I got a loaner g35x for a day and cruised in it. The acceleration was definitely smoother but there was one thing that bothered me a lot. The pedal was much stiffer, whereas my own 07 g35x I didn't need to apply much pressure to press down the gas pedal. It also felt like the car wasn't going fast when I revd to 3-3.5k, whereas in the 07 I felt like I was going.

I think this post from edmunds describes what I'm feeling pretty very well,

I forgot to confirm if my loaner was 08 but it felt different. I'm hoping that the ICC reflash I'm getting done won't turn it like this. I'd take the jumpy acceleration anyday. But it seems not many ppl have complained the car has gotten slower after reflash? Can I get some opinions?

If I were you I would NOT get the ECU reflash. I bought my '08 in Nov, but my dealership only had '07s available for test drives and I definitely noticed the difference in throttle response between the '07 and '08. I think Infiniti toned it down for the '08s because of all the complaints from magazines. You can see what I'm talking about here:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._infinti_g35_s

It sounds like you like the aggressive throttle response, so you should definitely avoid getting the reflash, as it will make your '07 feel more like an '08. Frankly I wish Infiniti would have offered a "sport" button or something that allowed you to toggle between the two. Even if it were an available option I would have gladly paid $500 or so for that feature.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
ummmm the g35x does have a sport mode on the 08 just slide the stick toward the driver and you will see a ds on where the d is

it will shift faster hold the shifts longer downshift and use engine to slow car during heavy breaking (like slowing down for off ramps on the highway) and hold the lower gear during throughout the corner....

Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by ZIPPYGAS
ummmm the g35x does have a sport mode on the 08 just slide the stick toward the driver and you will see a ds on where the d is

it will shift faster hold the shifts longer downshift and use engine to slow car during heavy breaking (like slowing down for off ramps on the highway) and hold the lower gear during throughout the corner....
I think sand was talking about a "sport" button that changes the throttle response. Since most cars nowadays have electronic throttle, it's just a matter of changing the mapping between your foot position to how much to open the throttle plate. E46 M3s have such button. But then, why not just press the pedal a bit further?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by PhilY
I think sand was talking about a "sport" button that changes the throttle response. Since most cars nowadays have electronic throttle, it's just a matter of changing the mapping between your foot position to how much to open the throttle plate. E46 M3s have such button. But then, why not just press the pedal a bit further?
Press it lightly and getting a good response makes you happy Like I got a 60K car for <40K.

Having to press harder brings back memories of the old hand-me-down 4 bangers that we had to drive few years ago

Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by PhilY
Yes, that's exactly what I was describing. The upcoming E90/E92 M3s also have this feature, where it will adjust the throttle response depending if the "Power" button has been pressed or not.

Obviously I've just got to press the gas harder to get the same response, I just think it would have been a neat solution to the problem that Infiniti's engineers could have considered. It certainly didn't affect my purchasing decision obviously.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh you mean that "feature" that BMW will charge an arm, leg, lung, and kidney to fix once you're past warranty?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPPYGAS

Is this true???????

Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
Is this true???????
Yes where have you been all your life?!

Actually I take back the 08 model. It had 2 LED maplights, and I recall a forum discussing that 08s had only one? I should have looked at the VIN sticker stupid me...

There was another thread with a poll on post-reflash and none really had much bad to say. My main concern was the gas pedal was way to stiff and required a lot of work just to press it lightly. I'm happy how my G requires just a little pressure and it depresses, but I guess i've just gotten accustomed to it.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 AM
2 LED map lights, and remapping of throttle comments

Actually I take back the 08 model. It had 2 LED maplights, and I recall a forum discussing that 08s had only one? I should have looked at the VIN sticker stupid me...

There was another thread with a poll on post-reflash and none really had much bad to say. My main concern was the gas pedal was way to stiff and required a lot of work just to press it lightly. I'm happy how my G requires just a little pressure and it depresses, but I guess i've just gotten accustomed to it.
First, by "LED map light," the poster is referring to the little ambiance spot light that shines toward the passenger side in the front? I was surprised to find just that one in my new G35, because it seemed as if there ought to be a matching one shining in the other direction, too. But, I've never driven an '07, so I'm only speculating. Having it on the one side only seems like having just one shoe. But, maybe some people found the one that would shine toward the driver's seat to be distracting. Comments, corrections?

As to throttle tip in, I've only read about the '07 mapping being touchy. I like the mapping on the '08 just fine. If I want zip, I just push the stick left to DS mode, and shift manually. Seems to work fine, though I'm still in break-in mode, so haven't been getting above 4000 RPM much. It's not that I'd personally mind a quick tip in response on the throttle, it's just that my wife would complain more about my driving, since I tend toward lead footedness anyway.

--Rich

Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I believe the idea of the LED light is to shine down on the center console, not the passenger.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Nomad1600
I believe the idea of the LED light is to shine down on the center console, not the passenger.
That would make more sense to me, Nomad. But mine definitely does point off to the right. Anyone else with an '08 G35 sedan see it this way, or is my LED just weird?

--Rich

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just got the car, i've been in cheaper cars all my life, this is my first real treat!

about the sport mode, good to know, thanks, can't use it much yet as i'm still in break in period, but i'm curious to see how this goes.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
Is this true???????
Yes, when you move the shifter to the left it goes into Drivesport mode. If you manually shift up or down then you are in manual mode. Just leave it alone when you first pull it left and dash says DS and you are in a sportier mode with higher revs, quicker downshifts etc. You couldn't do better yourself with a manual. It is good for spirited driving!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.